Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - do any videos exist of the sound of the exhaust in the big Diesel engine? I have seen a couple for the SC petrol, just wondered what noise my new car will make - I am thinking Ford transit?

·
Registered
50 Posts
No videos I've seen. But it's quiet and quite uninteresting to be honest. Certainly not worth opening windows in a tunnel for. It's diesel after all.
Still worth a grin when you bury the pedal in dynamic and S mode.

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
I guess it comes down to what you want.

Petrol version is slightly quicker but a lot more noise from the exhaust so if you want loud then the petrol is your choice.

The diesel version is quite, you have to push it hard to get any sort of noise from the exhaust but has a massive punch from 700 foot pounds of torque, not as fast as the petrol but it's close and you get nearly 50 percent better fuel economy then the petrol.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Jag fpacejk, really? I have spent the last 11 years driving 3ltr D in Audi's & RR, frankly it's now where near close, yes as you say the mpg is double, actually it's probably treble..... And yes the diesel has loads of torque so it will pick up its skirts and go in any gear at any speed, which really is great.

BUT it's a million miles away from an SC and yes I have driven a 3D for an extended test drive, it's not bad in any way but an SC is like an GTI turned SUV after 4 bottles of red bull, yes you have to concentrate and be on the paddles to razz a 3D, but you can! A 3D is fast and sensible and a great car, an SC can be a bit of a hooligan in a way the D can never do.

To me the 3D is a sort of slippers meets trainers meets deck shoes type of car, something for everyone, whilst the SC is a expensive pair of two tone brogues, a little unnecessary, a little to loud, a bit in your face, BUT actually it's what you really want even though it makes no sense.

Efficiency and pace v loud unceassary and a great big grin, for me it was a no brainier..... But an easy decision as my annual mileage is low enough it to worry about fuel consumption.

Sensible no, fun, hell yes, would I change, are you mad!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Only petrol is fun to drive and can put a smile on your face

·
Registered
41 Posts
It will be very interesting to see how the residuals shape up in 2years when it will be time to change for a new vehicle. According to the dealer the
diesels will be more valuable but after 40 odd years in the motor industry myself I will not hold my breath. If I had purchased a car purely on residuals
in this category I would have purchased a Porsche Macan S as it has one of the best residuals in the market but it is very cramped in the rear and the price of options are exorbitant .The F pace is better looking more up to date systems better to drive for every day use and a much higher standard
specification but the interior is not as good as the Macan when it comes to the quality of some plastics in the Fpace.I am pleased with the Jaguar but
feel this is one area where if Jaguar had added cost to the price to upgrade the quality of the interior it would have been beneficial After one month
with 600miles now have the dreaded creaking rear suspension on my 3 litre diesel S Rhodium Silver with far to many options which count for little
at trade in time

·
Registered
948 Posts
Done the whole high powered petrol SUVs before diesels really became good, now I'd pick a big diesel SUV every time. Not saying the SC isn't more fun but you really have to work it and always in the back of your mind you'll be thinking about your wallet whilst you do.

Upto 3/4 throttle I reckon the diesel is quicker.

·
Registered
473 Posts
macview19 said:
It will be very interesting to see how the residuals shape up in 2years when it will be time to change for a new vehicle. According to the dealer the
diesels will be more valuable but after 40 odd years in the motor industry myself I will not hold my breath. If I had purchased a car purely on residuals
in this category I would have purchased a Porsche Macan S as it has one of the best residuals in the market but it is very cramped in the rear and the price of options are exorbitant .The F pace is better looking more up to date systems better to drive for every day use and a much higher standard
specification but the interior is not as good as the Macan when it comes to the quality of some plastics in the Fpace.I am pleased with the Jaguar but
feel this is one area where if Jaguar had added cost to the price to upgrade the quality of the interior it would have been beneficial After one month
with 600miles now have the dreaded creaking rear suspension on my 3 litre diesel S Rhodium Silver with far to many options which count for little
at trade in time
I have to disagree, if you do a personal contract through jag for an identical spec S D or SC the SC is cheaper because Jag forecast the residuals will be better. I know this because i checked and even worse the salesman listed it as a D on the PCH forms and then when i pointed it out and they re did the forms my monthly payment reduced by over £1200 on a 3 year contract so that tells me jag expects a petrol S v D to be worth approx £2.5k more at three years old with 30K miles....

·
Registered
473 Posts
luminated said:
Done the whole high powered petrol SUVs before diesels really became good, now I'd pick a big diesel SUV every time. Not saying the SC isn't more fun but you really have to work it and always in the back of your mind you'll be thinking about your wallet whilst you do.

Upton 3/4 throttle I reckon the diesel is quicker.
Maybe at 3/4 throttle I agree but it definitely isn't at full throttle, the SC is noticeably quicker and as I have said in other posts the D will be quick and do everything you want BUT the petrol adds a different dimension.

if I have a second FP it may well be the new Ingenium 3ltr straight 6 D (when available in 2 years) but right now i am happy I am driving car with soul, having driven fast diesels for a decade it's a bit like ordering the ham and mushroom pizza at Pizza Express, its great you know what you are going to get but personally I like the American Hot with the extra hot peppers... that the SC

no right answer both good cars, the 3D i would be proud to own..... the SC I am excited to get in every time......

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I think this is a point - it depends where you are in life, what sort of person you are and what's you've had in the past.
Last choice for me was an XF but was it the 3.0 S diesel or the 5.0 V8
Yes the V8 was faster and I wanted it but the diesel torque and the mileage for not a much slower car was an easy decision at the time as I was more money conscious and probably was doing more miles for work so it was a perfect choice to go diesel.

Ramp forward 3 years and I've had a number of decent powered diesels but I want to return to a petrol. The extra speed I'm not too fussed about though it's nice, the different drive is what I want and the sound and feel is certainly what I'm after - just for a change.
Regards the mileage and what is costs me per year. I honestly couldn't give a stuff and however much it's costs will make no difference to my mindset or pocket so happy days.
I may even add modifications a year down the line unless an SVR is in the works then I might just buy that and go more mental :) or just get a second hand F type as a second car .

I've driven the diesel and it's great. Not amazing but does the job very well indeed. I just felt it could have had a little more something. I'm hoping the petrol has that.
(Oh yes I've ordered the SC Without ever driving one )

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Have to say I think Gman might be right. I was one of only 3% of people who bought a petrol Evoque and at resale they fetch more than an identical diesel.

Still, I fancied a change this time.

Oh and I have owned 3 JLR SC cars in the past. All V8s. Damn they were good. Enjoy all you SC boys :)

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Anyway to sort of get a little bit back on track there are and will be after market exhausts if you fancy a bit more noise out the back

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi Gman Re post on PCP contracts that may be correct on residual values but after 40 plus years in the Motor Industry I am only to well aware
which will be easier to sell on between the SC v the 3D .By paying cash I do not have the disadvantage of paying interest charges and tying myself
to any contract with a finance company and these interest charges should be taken into the equation. It is possible with a cash payment you can negotiate ( not on the list price) but on the added dealer fit extras again no interest charges to swallow come change time (2018). I am pleased with
the Fpace 3D but the quality of some interior fittings are not as good as the luxury German Manufacturers and this I feel will impact on residuals

·
Registered
948 Posts
Do not look at leasing rate as a gauge as to which model will hold the most value come resale, if I were to do that I'd buy myself an M5. lol

The monthly rate the brother got was £508+vat for a 6+36 deal back 2.5yrs ago, that equates to an outlay of only £25,600.... yet in reality an M5 loses almost this much in the first year.

I'd bet come three years time the 3D will be worth 6-8% more.

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
Mbadger77 said:
Anyway to sort of get a little bit back on track there are and will be after market exhausts if you fancy a bit more noise out the back
And there are already performance upgrades that takes it way past a standard SC Fpace if you want to be faster.

·
Registered
142 Posts
luminated said:
Do not look at leasing rate as a gauge as to which model will hold the most value come resale, if I were to do that I'd buy myself an M5. lol

The monthly rate the brother got was £508+vat for a 6+36 deal back 2.5yrs ago, that equates to an outlay of only £25,600.... yet in reality an M5 loses almost this much in the first year.

I'd bet come three years time the 3D will be worth 6-8% more.
Maybe but when getting a PCP quote you get a GUARANTEED future value (GFV) on which your monthly payments are based along with the final balloon payment. The petrol version has a higher GFV than the diesel resulting in lower monthly payments. Of course Jag finance is making a prediction but you are guaranteed that prediction when purchasing via PCP.

Due to the ridiculous APR that Jag now want I am no longer purchasing via this method and since I am likely to keep the car for 5 years am not worried which version will be worth more. However I would say that the 3.0d will be relatively common whereas the petrol will be rare which will result in a higher second-hand price and faster / easier resale, as there will always be someone that prefers petrol and they will have very little to choose from.

My advice to everyone is to buy the deisel, I need my car to be very rare come resale time :D :D :D

·
Registered
948 Posts
Jagfpacejk said:
And there are already performance upgrades that takes it way past a standard SC Fpace if you want to be faster.
True, I've seen 345hp on offer and having chipped my Cayenne Diesel in the past and how big a difference it made I'd serious consider it.

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
luminated said:
Jagfpacejk said:
True, I've seen 345hp on offer and having chipped my Cayenne Diesel in the past and how big a difference it made I'd serious consider it.
Really I have only seen 300HP, got a link to the 345hp?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Jagfpacejk said:
luminated said:
Jagfpacejk said:
Really I have only seen 300HP, got a link to the 345hp?
https://www.quantumtuning.co.uk/car-remap-tuning-remapping.aspx?Make=Jaguar&Range=F%20Pace

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.