Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm looking to swap my wife's Evoque to an Fpace and would welcome any comments from other previous evoque owners. I have to say, I've not been happy with the Evoque which is why I'm very reluctant to enter into considering another JLA car.

My main area of concern is the gearbox, we have an SD4 2015 evoque with the 9 speed autobox which is truly awful when you are used to a German VAG dual clutch system. It's the main reason for getting rid of the car. Does anyone know if the Fpace shares this gearbox with the evoque? I'm interested in the Fpace S V6 diesel.

Thanks for any feedback
Regards
Dan

·
Registered
922 Posts
Hi and welcome to forum.... I went from Evoque, as have quite a few members on here to. I had a manual , but my wife still has the new Ingenium version with the 9'speed auto. No problems with her gearbox, only brakes/ DPF and host of other engine gremlins.... Hasn't been back in garage for 4 weeks now.... so fingers crossed eh!!!
The F pace is fitted with an 8 speed zf box which I am sure someone else
will confirm as I have gone again for a manual as I prefer the feel and involvement..... however I know it won't be long before manuals are consigned to history too.
Forum is a great place to get information and advice and you can always use the search function.... As no doubt this topic has probably been discussed before.

Regards...

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
It is a ZF box similar to that found in the BMW range. It's fabulous, not quite as slick as the Porsche PDK box but almost as good. Everyone loves it, owners on this forum and journalists alike. No more need be said.

Arianne

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
The ZF 8 speed is a great box. It's much better than the 9 speed in the evoque. The 9 speed box was partially developed by ZF but the main purpose of its design was to sort out the truly awful fuel consumption on the Evoque. I had a 2012 model with the original 6 speed box which in my opinion was better than the 9 speed which had at least two too many cogs and was always looking for a gear and took ages to turn torque into motion.

However the 8 speed ZF is still very different to th VAG dual clutch system. I had one of those on my TT. You don't get the instantaneous gear change with the ZF box. And it does still feel like one or two cogs too many (on the narrow rev band of the diesel) if you like to flick up and down the gears a lot manually.

So if you are comparing it the 9 speed LR box it's leagues ahead. It's not a true sports box like the VAG DC system though. It is creamy smooth with almost imperceptible changes and always seems to pick the perfect gear to stay in the power band. I'd say it's better in auto mode than the VAG but if you like to be in manual mode the whole time it's a little bit lacking.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
but if you like to be in manual mode the whole time it's a little bit lacking.
If you really mean "all the time" there is a manual option.

I do agree though, the ZF 8 speed box is silky smooth when left to its own devices. I had it in previous XF and it was best part of the car and have been really pleased in the FPace, I did wonder if the whole SUV set up might show up issues like rougher gear changes but so far its as good if not better. I was also concerned if the AWD would add more gear noise but I haven't detected anything at all. Best autobox I've ever driven which includes some Volvo, Saab and Ford gearboxes.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Had the same ZF 8 speed as the F-Pace in my BMW X3 and it was flawless. Smooth gear changes, always the right gear.

Best automatic gearbox i ever had including MB, Audi, Jeep, Peugeot.

·
Super Moderator
5,060 Posts
I went from the evoque to a fpace and I would recommend you take the fpace on a very long journey as in my eyes they are massively different vehicles.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Only thing I would add is the Evoque is more suited to urban city environments. It handles pot holes and speed bumps better than the hard suspension on the FP.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I owned my Evoque for over 3 years and went to a (petrol) F-Pace. My main issue with the Evoque was jerky performance at low speeds. I brought it to my dealer and it was a determined it was a combination of turbo lag and the shift points. Never were able to get that resolved. I can't begin to describe how much better the overall performance (acceleration and shifting) and handling are with the F-Pace. Also the increase in interior and cargo space is a huge plus for me.

On the Evoque side, IMO the 380 Meridian sounded much better than in the F-Pace. While I loved the Evoque, I have no regrets moving to the F-Pace.

As pointed out, they are different. The Evoque seemed a bit more sporty and nimble, but for me, overall I prefer my F-Pace.

·
Super Moderator
5,060 Posts
karl1672 said:
I owned my Evoque for over 3 years and went to a (petrol) F-Pace. My main issue with the Evoque was jerky performance at low speeds. I brought it to my dealer and it was a determined it was a combination of turbo lag and the shift points. Never were able to get that resolved. I can't begin to describe how much better the overall performance (acceleration and shifting) and handling are with the F-Pace. Also the increase in interior and cargo space is a huge plus for me.

On the Evoque side, IMO the 380 Meridian sounded much better than in the F-Pace. While I loved the Evoque, I have no regrets moving to the F-Pace.

As pointed out, they are different. The Evoque seemed a bit more sporty and nimble, but for me, overall I prefer my F-Pace.
No question the Evoque stereo is much better, I would say if you have the 380 watt version in your Evoque to get any where near this your need the 825 watt version in the Fpace.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well, that's what you get for buying the Evoque which is powered by a Ford Escape 4-cyl engine. F-Pace has much more utility and panache.

·
Super Moderator
5,060 Posts
autoansguy said:
Well, that's what you get for buying the Evoque which is powered by a Ford Escape 4-cyl engine. F-Pace has much more utility and panache.
I had the petrol version and i would still say there is a massive difference between the two.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
autoansguy said:
I see adding another year hasn't mellowed you ;-)

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
RRE Dynamic LUX 2.2 9speed auto to FP 2.0 R-Sport 8soeed auto. Why?? Looks, space, smoother box and handling of the FP compared to the RRE is poles apart!! Even the dodgey ICTP is worth hanging on for wIting for the BIG fix!!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Not got my f-pace yet but from the first test drive I fall in love. The second drive was just me and my family for a few hours and I fully agree the 9 speed box along with the whole car is so much better than my Evoque. Don't get me wrong I love my Evoque which has been brilliant. Driving the two back to back along the same roads I found the ride and performance much the same. But the gear change was so much smoother in the f-pace.

Manual :shock: any JLR has to be Automatic

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the replies.... seemingly a resounding yes to the F-Pace Gearbox being much better! I guess the next stage is a good long test drive, lets hope my local dealer is happy to loan a car for longer than 15 mins and without a salesman sat in the passenger seat!

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Thds5634 said:
Thanks for all the replies.... seemingly a resounding yes to the F-Pace Gearbox being much better! I guess the next stage is a good long test drive, lets hope my local dealer is happy to loan a car for longer than 15 mins and without a salesman sat in the passenger seat!
Where are you? Harwoods will let you have a 24 hour test drive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm in Halifax, West Yorkshire. Our nearest dealer is Rybrook in Huddersfield and my first experience on a Sunday about 3 weeks ago was not good. The 3 staff in the empty showroom seemingly had more important things to chat about between themselves than helping out a potential customer, so I left them to it.

I'll try a bigger dealership in Leeds or Bradford.

·
Registered
237 Posts
After three and a half years of great Evoque Dynamic 2.2 Diesel ownership (albeit the low rev jerkyness) I will be selling it early Dec ready for the F Pace delivery in Jan.
Only 10,500 miles on the clock and hoping for a decent price.
Can anyone advise which web sites are good to use? We Buy Any Car have given a semi OK quote but I obviously want a few to compare.

Cheers
MyV6Jag

Attachments

·
Registered
247 Posts
Could try below on basis of this earlier topic http://www.fpaceforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1624&p=19451&hilit=brewer#p19451

Incidentally, I can recommend Mike Brewer Motors (http://www.mikebrewerbuysyourcar.com) for selling your next trade-in. They offered around £1000 more than WBAC, WWAC and Tootle, plus there are no separate fees. Took around 30 minutes for them to check the car and paperwork, then they kindly gave me a lift to the station - in my car, which felt very surreal. The downside is they only have locations in Sheffield, Chesterfield and Luton. I have family in West Yorkshire so was able to combine it with a trip to see them and break up the journey from Edinburgh. The cheapest train fare back involved a very pleasant trip along the Settle-Carlisle line with its stunning scenery and I got the carriage all to myself for the last bit after all the hikers got off!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts