Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I maybe wet behind the ears when it comes to what constitutes a racing car, yet I always thought that a racing car had hard suspension and hair trigger steering and gear changes, yet the FPACE dynamics when on, puts the suspension into sponge mode... is this right? A fault? Or just me?

What I find is in dynamic mode: turn the suspension to normal and the car seems to handle better... otherwise when on I feel every bump and hump in the road.

Can anyone support my feelings on this or am I out of tune, as I thought dynamic mode was the sporty race mode for the vehicle.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
If you feel every bump when it's on then surely that's stiffening the suspension more and not making it spongy ?
I haven't really tried it so maybe owners can give a better description of how it works on the Fpace

·
Registered
948 Posts
smash said:
I maybe wet behind the ears when it comes to what constitutes a racing car, yet I always thought that a racing car had hard suspension and hair trigger steering and gear changes, yet the FPACE dynamics when on, puts the suspension into sponge mode... is this right? A fault? Or just me?

What I find is in dynamic mode: turn the suspension to normal and the car seems to handle better... otherwise when on I feel every bump and hump in the road.

Can anyone support my feelings on this or am I out of tune, as I thought dynamic mode was the sporty race mode for the vehicle.
Some people "think" stiffness means sporty and thus better handling but this is generally only true on very smooth surfaces like a race track, REAL roads aren't smooth so there's a limit to the amount of stiffness that is beneficial which is why Jaguar buck the trend and don't overtly stiffness their suspension is sport mode.

I personally think Jaguar have hit a sweet spot with the dynamics setting on the F-Pace, you can quite easily drive in this mode all the time if you want without really sacrificing any of the comfort.... try doing the same in a Macan. lol

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
But I think the original posters point is the reverse
He's saying it feels spongy and it's better in normal but also says that in dynamic he feels all the bumps as well

The jag has adaptive dynamics so not sure how it all
Works

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
And you generally find slight stiffer in sports mode but again with f pace I really don't know so leave to owners

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I haven't adjusted anything else in dynamic mode, but I figure the suspension is firmer in normal mode than dynamic, as dynamic suggests a variation/change I guess it's why I feel it to be like a sponge...

hence my query on racing/sports mode as I had thought such would be harder in such mode.. as adaptivr dynamics had been taughted as such 'more of a sports car feel' ...

G

·
I don't feel "sponge" or "stiff" between both modes but to me the dynamic mode seems to be better balanced and I feel the bumps less than with normal mode.
This feels really strange...
I actually think that dynamic mode is better in terms of steering and suspension.
I still need to try another F-Pace to check if mine has a problem with the adaptive suspensions cause I think it's too hard even in normal mode.

·
Registered
948 Posts
smash said:
Well I haven't adjusted anything else in dynamic mode, but I figure the suspension is firmer in normal mode than dynamic, as dynamic suggests a variation/change I guess it's why I feel it to be like a sponge...

hence my query on racing/sports mode as I had thought such would be harder in such mode.. as adaptivr dynamics had been taughted as such 'more of a sports car feel' ...
Don't know the kind of roads you regularly travel on but mine aren't that great and I can tell you that in no way does the 'Dynamics' mode feel spongey, in truth is ever so slightly firmer especially driven hard into a corner where it leans a little less, you also feel the bumps and ridges a little more but like I already said it's slight the difference which is why I reckon Jag have hit the sweet spot between making it feel sportier and giving you something you'd happily use all the time.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
As above, that was my experience on the extended test drive we had. I was impressed with how composed the rise felt, even in dynamic mode and the fact that the difference between normal and dynamic wasn't immediately profound. I have fixed, stiffer suspension on my R-design XC60 which, with the 20" wheels, makes for a fairly unforgiving ride on anything but the smooth Tarmac one finds on foreign motorways.

I wonder whether the Jaguar's advanced suspension, which constantly monitors the ride, means that the characteristics of the dynamic dampers adjust so rapidly that it is not as blunt as three fixed modes of soft, normal and sport as found on cars such as the BMW or Volvo's 4C system?

Whatever, it felt good and so it would have been top of my option list if it wasn't already standard on the S version.

Arianne

·
Registered
106 Posts
In dynamic mode, you should be feeling lesser damper travel (up and down movements) and more controlled body movements (side to side) along with a flatter cornering stance. Also, you should notice less driver/passenger 'wobble' (pretty much at shoulder level) than when driving in normal mode. All these should be quite noticeable, even at slow speeds.

The ride comfort difference between normal and dynamic is virtually the same to me (ie, very good in both modes).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sport suspension should be compliant. Harder dampers don't necessarily mean more control, especially on UK's bouncy roads. All suspension is a compromise, I think the F-Pace Dynamic mode is pretty spot on. On the Evoque when the suspension is it is in it's sport mode I though on Welsh B Roads was far to hard. I will say I think the steering in Dynamic is a bit spongy feeling like an old Playstation Wheel. Tyre noise also seems a little higher in Dynamic. Fast direction changes, the car deals well with and sits in to the corners well. Although I rue the day I did not order a 3.0l the 2.0l does turn in particularly well for such a tall car. I prefer the F-Pace to the Macan.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Whilst the throttle response and gearbox changes are quite noticeable, the suspension is far more subtle, it feels to me firmer but maybe only 10-15%, it's still noticably more compliant than my Audi SLine with 19's, what I haven't worked out is if it changes the torque vectoring algorithms as well, I noticed a bit more shove from the rear (oh err misses!) which seems to want to push me round the corner more, either way for a car of this size and weight and centre of gravity Jaguar have done a stellar job on the setup.

A lot more nimble than an RRS exactly what I was hoping for :D :D

·
Registered
492 Posts
I dont get car until end of Sept, in practice how is adaptive dynamics £960 and configurable dynamics £150 being used in everyday driving for people that chose both options. On reading online handbook I understand adaptive dynamics alters automatically with your driving style, while configurable can be altered from driving seat for your personal preference, how does this relate to everyday driving?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts