Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just before I speed off in my F-Pace to enjoy a few miles in this great driving weather, this afternoon....

I really think, when it comes to some so-called 'driving aids', more definitely can be less!

To begin with I was initially very impressed that our Jags come with certain features as standard on all cars; traffic sign recognition and lane departure warning, to name two examples. But I've already disabled lane departure because I find it is just annoying on most of the winding country roads I travel. Every time I 'use the road', and the car moves towards or crosses the central white line, the steering wheel does that little jiggly thing and there's a rumbling sound like you're pummelling a thousand cat's eyes! It just gets plain annoying! So, as I don't believe I'm in any danger of nodding off behind the wheel, I've decided to cancel the feature. I suppose I may reinstate it when I'm next on a long motorway haul, but probably not, because I've found that unless you move the indicator stalk fully until it 'clicks' (i.e. not just nudging it for the three flashes of the indicator) the car 'thinks' I'm straying, when I'm actually changing lanes deliberately. Again, it gets quite annoying feeling that stupid little jiggle!

And the Traffic Sign Recognition feature gets tedious too. I've found it works reasonably accurately, but frankly I just don't need it. I can actually use my own eyes to observe the road signs to tell me what the speed limit of any given section is anyway. They've not let me down before I had this feature, and I don't think they're suddenly going to start doing so.

Auto Stop/Start is another 'feature' that I find I'm constantly switching off - thanks!

If I could have spec'd the car without these standard fitted 'aids', I think I would have! :lol:

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Same argument as seat belts, reflectors, air bags etc... no one likes safety devices/ideas at first until they use them... not saying you would use them but some one somewhere will be thankful

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've had park assist in my Evoque for 2 years as part of the Lux pack. Never used it apart from trying it out in an almost empty car park to find out how it worked. After more than 40 years of driving I'm better and faster at parking than it is. Looking forward to trying out the "Aids" in the FP but may end up disabling them like Catwoman.
If the Speed sign recognition is accurate I may use it. Roads round me seems to change the speed limit every 100 yards.
Its like their trying to catch you out ............... Surely not!!! :twisted: :twisted:

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
So I went away of a three week holiday .. picked my FP up when I got back and brought it home. Been driving it around Wimbledon for 5 days thinking "stupid thing thinks this is a 20mph zone" .. just put it down to glitches and inevitable inaccuracy until last night whilst walking home from the station I saw that indeed the whole area is now a 20mph zone .. must have happened whilst I was on holiday!

FP driver aids 1 : 0 FP driver!

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
catwoman said:
Just before I speed off in my F-Pace to enjoy a few miles in this great driving weather, this afternoon....

I really think, when it comes to some so-called 'driving aids', more definitely can be less!

To begin with I was initially very impressed that our Jags come with certain features as standard on all cars; traffic sign recognition and lane departure warning, to name two examples. But I've already disabled lane departure because I find it is just annoying on most of the winding country roads I travel. Every time I 'use the road', and the car moves towards or crosses the central white line, the steering wheel does that little jiggly thing and there's a rumbling sound like you're pummelling a thousand cat's eyes! It just gets plain annoying! So, as I don't believe I'm in any danger of nodding off behind the wheel, I've decided to cancel the feature. I suppose I may reinstate it when I'm next on a long motorway haul, but probably not, because I've found that unless you move the indicator stalk fully until it 'clicks' (i.e. not just nudging it for the three flashes of the indicator) the car 'thinks' I'm straying, when I'm actually changing lanes deliberately. Again, it gets quite annoying feeling that stupid little jiggle!

And the Traffic Sign Recognition feature gets tedious too. I've found it works reasonably accurately, but frankly I just don't need it. I can actually use my own eyes to observe the road signs to tell me what the speed limit of any given section is anyway. They've not let me down before I had this feature, and I don't think they're suddenly going to start doing so.

Auto Stop/Start is another 'feature' that I find I'm constantly switching off - thanks!

If I could have spec'd the car without these standard fitted 'aids', I think I would have! :lol:
You can disable the stop start feature permanently but it involves taking a little trim off and pulling a link out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts