Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a bit confused why there are two separate buttons for a sporty drive .
There is sport mode in the drive selector and dynamic mode in the drive modes why are they separate and what are the benefits of each . :?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Tim1 said:
I am a bit confused why there are two separate buttons for a sporty drive .
There is sport mode in the drive selector and dynamic mode in the drive modes why are they separate and what are the benefits of each . :?
If it's the same as my Evoque the Sport mode on the gear selector modifies the engine settings. The dynamic mode button modifies the suspension (and perhaps more importantly turns the backlighting on the speedo red).

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
In my XF its slightly different.
The Dynamic mode just much quicker throttle response and makes it livelier and quicker to shift etc.
The sports mode puts huge gear selector numbers on the dash and gear change is done via the paddles.

In a nutshell thats what it seems to do on my older XF. Sure newer ones have suspension changes

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sport mode on the gear selector only changes when the gears shift....ie, longer gear ratios for a sporty drive

The flag on the JaguarDriveControl is Dynamic Mode and changes:

Gear change (sportier shift...you can feel it more)
Throttle/Engine response
Steering feel is more weighted for improved feel
Suspension settings are sportier/firmer (only when Adaptive Dynamics fitted)
Aaaaaaaand, the dials turn red!

This is same for both Jaguar and Land Rover

·
Registered
208 Posts
20dAWD said:
Sport mode on the gear selector only changes when the gears shift....ie, longer gear ratios for a sporty drive

The flag on the JaguarDriveControl is Dynamic Mode and changes:

Gear change (sportier shift...you can feel it more)
Throttle/Engine response
Steering feel is more weighted for improved feel
Suspension settings are sportier/firmer (only when Adaptive Dynamics fitted)
Aaaaaaaand, the dials turn red!

This is same for both Jaguar and Land Rover
Aaaand the ambient lighting in the doors goes red too! ;) Basically if you have a model that has the active dynamics, you will get dynamic mode. This is the sportiest mode. the "S" mode on the drive selector is the much more limited sport mode mentioned above - this is available to all vehicle owners, whether or not they have active dynamics. Short answer: If you have the Dynamic mode, this is what you want to use. If not, you can use the poor man's dynamic mode, the S selection on the drive selector.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Aaaand the ambient lighting in the doors goes red too! ;)

You've just made my day.

Having not spec'd configurable mood lighting, as I had to draw the line there, I now know that to change the door lighting from blue to red all I have to do is use Dynamic Mode regularly :D

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I've spec'd the Dynamic Mode and now I know I can scare my passengers into behaving by selecting this and giving them the red warning lights... ha ha I shall enjoy this!

·
Registered
208 Posts
RaVolVoR said:
I've spec'd the Dynamic Mode and now I know I can scare my passengers into behaving by selecting this and giving them the red warning lights... ha ha I shall enjoy this!
FYI - it is a proven fact that Dynamic Mode works better when you use a catchphrase as you switch to it. "Engage!"

·
Registered
44 Posts
To briefly revive this thread,

I have put in an order for a 2.0D AWD and at the moment have not opted for the Dynamics Pack. At the moment I am currently driving an Audi S3 and do enjoy the sportier/firmer suspension. Based off this, would you say it would be worthwhile to include the Dynamics Pack rather than just relying on, as YVR Racer put it, the poor man's dynamic S selection?

·
Registered
302 Posts
sted24 said:

I have put in an order for a 2.0D AWD and at the moment have not opted for the Dynamics Pack. At the moment I am currently driving an Audi S3 and do enjoy the sportier/firmer suspension. Based off this, would you say it would be worthwhile to include the Dynamics Pack rather than just relying on, as YVR Racer put it, the poor man's dynamic S selection?
ABSOLUTELY ...... And then go that but further and change to a S spec car :)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
sted24 said:

I would make the adaptive dynamics a priority from the option list, for sure. On Saturday I drove two cars back to back, the first having adaptive dynamics and the second without. The first also had the massive 22" wheels whereas the second had 20" or 19". Which will make what I am about to share even more profound...

With adaptive dynamics the ride was pretty close to flawless. The Normal setting was good on rutted surfaces and we even drove over a cobbled town square. Yes, you can feel the cobbles but the suspension soaks up the worst and nothing rattles, even my bones! On the Sport setting the car is great in bends and handles wonderfully, but the ride is still not harsh. Jaguar have pulled off a minor miracle here, really.

Without adaptive dynamics the ride was more direct and we could feel the surface imperfections of the road resonate through the car. It wasn't bad and if your budget can't stretch to this option then don't fret, it won't spoil the ownership experience, at least not on wheels up to 20". But it was twitchy and the adaptive dynamics give you the very best experience, clearly noticeable and worth the investment if you have the pennies. The standard suspension seems set somewhere between the two modes of the adaptive version and so is a 'jack of all trades, master of neither' by comparison.

And if you have ordered the 2.0d Ingenium car then there's another good reason why this option pack is money well spent, and you're going to like this a lot....

....your car will actually handle better than the S version in the bends! And you can't say that about most aspects of the two trim levels. The reason is that your Ingenium engine weighs less and so the car is more nimble on the turn, less prone to dipping forward under braking and the initial feeling of understeer. Only at the margins, mind you but it does feel that bit more agile. Even I detected it and I am not the world's greatest driver.

So go on, tick that box. Tick it ahead of any of those toys that are luxuries and which, after six months, you will have forgotten. With the adaptive dynamics option you will appreciate the money you spent every day for the lifetime of your ownership of the car, promise! It's a car, to be driven so I would choose this option over things that beep, flash, turn funny colours etc.

You will not regret it, money well spent.

Regards, Arianne

PS. one of the reasons I am so keen on adaptive dynamics is because I currently have passive, fixed suspension on my Volvo R-design XC60 with 20" wheels. Handles reasonably well on country roads for a Volvo because the suspension has been stiffened on this model. But it's quite harsh over surface imperfections, cats eyes, expansion joints and around town.

G

·
I retrieve my 2.0d F-Pace this Friday with Adaptive Dynamics. I'll do a review after a few days. Perhaps this will also help you to decide knowing that there is a big chance I won't be able to compare to a car without it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Does the FE come with adaptive dynamics? I think it does (s1 pls confirm) .. sorry for the query... its just the FE has had so much stripped out of it from what 'it will come with' to 'what it does come with' that I'm currently confused what it comes with.. there def a set of seats... I think...

·
Registered
922 Posts
You mean you haven't heard!!! They made it so much of a drivers car that some idiot bean counter in charge said just stick one seat in it, even more room, once we take all the other extras out of it!! I am still trying to shame Jaguar into doing something to address this issue , and not I hasten to add, upset current owners of what is otherwise a beautiful piece of engineering... Unfortunately that's what happens when engineers are overruled by greedy accountants.. Trust me I am a *issed ( less than happy) off prototype test engineer in the automotive trade!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have ordered Adaptive dynamics and sted24 if you go for this, I would option configurable dynamics also.

Can anyone tell me how it can smooth out the ride so quickly? I kind of know how it works, but how can it do it so quickly e.g Arianne's cobbled square.

At any speed at all you're on to the next cobble in no time at all so how can it react, affect the suspension and then do it all over again for the next cobble? It must work because of reviews/comments etc but how???

·
Registered
922 Posts
I am pretty sure it works like most other active / live systems to a degree. In its most basic explination as follows, in the shock absorber is normally a type of oil/ gas element to dampen shock or a combination of both.In this type of shock absorber a fuild which has a very high content of magnetic elements in it is used.This means the fluid can change its viscosity as fast as the electrical current being passed through it... So making it very soft or hard in an few milliseconds depending on what current is being applied to it. It also is working in combination with the abs speed data, and the other shock absorbers to work out the best settings depending on what the driver has asked for firm/ sport / comfort etc. Hope this helps :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
After reading your helpful responses I feel thoroughly convinced that i'll have to ring up my dealer and ask to include the Adaptive Pack (and the configurable dynamics) although I am interested in hearing from Mig after a couple of days to see what you think.

When I test drove the 2.0D it was a Portfolio rather than the R-Sport. I thought the ride was pretty smooth on the country lanes, however I am now unsure as to whether that the demo had the adaptive pack or not. I must say that after the 2.0D I had a blast in the 3.0D and I don't think I have ever had as much fun driving a car as that S. I only got about 20 minutes in it but I was smiling all day afterwards. Alas, pennies won't stretch that far so that may be the replacement for my R-Sport after a few years!

I think what I am most looking forward to is driving around town in luxurious comfort whilst being also being able to take it out into the Welsh countryside on weekends and put my foot down a little more and if the Adaptive pack helps with this then it appears to be a no-brainer.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I can't explain the science but I can explain the effect. We were travelling across Kelso market square, cobbles all the way. Yes, we knew we were travelling across cobbles but it was much better than we expected, the car wasn't shuddering, nothing rattled and it felt so much better than our R-design XC60. The Volvo has 18" wheels in the winter and 20" rims in the summer but this F-Pace wearing 22" wheels was far better. That's the beauty of taking a test drive at a local dealership and driving over roads you know well from your current car as it's possible to do a like for like comparison.

I read somewhere that this is a very intelligent system. It monitors what's happening 500? times a second/minute (can't remember which) and automatically adjusts the settings to suit. On reflection, that makes sense as the suspension seemed capable of responding far more extensively than a simple 'soft' or 'hard' mode depending upon which button I had pressed on the centre console. It is very impressive.

Like you, I look forward to my F-Pace being great both in town and on the open road. My current car is pretty good for an SUV on the country roads but doesn't provide a comfortable ride in town.

This option, for me, is worth every penny and I am not easily moved to tick option boxes!

Arianne

1 - 20 of 28 Posts