Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I've been trying to get insurance, and a lot ask if it has a tracker.

I've been saying no, because I'm unsure if the InControl Touch Pro with a Phone App legally counts as a tracker for UK insurances.

Does anyone know ?

No I do not take the InControl Secure for Warranty Period option.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
The answer is no. It's not Thatcham approved so can't be used for insurance purposes.

Surprised you are being asked. I checked with 5 or 6 insurers and none wanted a tracker.

Direct Line by far the cheapest.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Direct Line I'll never use again ... had a really bad experience with them.

Anyway ... I asked Nationwide if there was a list of official trackers they approve and they said no ... as long as it was a tracker.

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
Gdank said:
Direct Line I'll never use again ... had a really bad experience with them.

Anyway ... I asked Nationwide if there was a list of official trackers they approve and they said no ... as long as it was a tracker.
Well the remote is a tracker, i guess, do they want proof?

If they do i would assume a certificate which then means your pay a monitoring company per year which could get expensive.

You may just have to bite the bullet and go back otherwise i found it to be very expensive to have a tracker fitted, pay a year fee ect ect.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JLRnumber5 said:
Are you sure Nationwide insisted? They told me no tracker was necessary and that they don't even offer a discount for any form of alarm or immobiliser.
They said there were exclusions if you didn't.

For example any damage to the car when it's stolen would not be covered.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JLRnumber5 said:
That sounds very strange. I'd pick a different insurer.
They are at least £100 cheaper than anyone else, plus do all the things I want from insurance.

I'll call Jag tomorrow and try to understand how it tracks the car (ie. just the 3G or some other method)

·
Registered
206 Posts
How much is cheap?

I paid £186 fully comp for my 3.0ds for social and domestic use with 12 years ncd

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Privilege was way cheaper than any other, and I have had a claim through them years ago in the 1990's with my RS being stolen, and they required no tracker. £228 I think it was, with business use and max NCB

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tim W said:
How much is cheap?

I paid £186 fully comp for my 3.0ds for social and domestic use with 12 years ncd
Not sure where you live ... or your age/history but damm that's seriously cheap.

I'm at £600 per year, I have 10+ years no claims, no accidents in the past 10, never had a conviction, car is parked on drive. I live in Epping, CM16.

And I only do 8000miles per year social driving.

Do you live on an island with just you?

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
£600 is a lot of money. I'm 43 and live in central London and the car is parked in the street. I'm paying £273 with only a £250 excess and fully protected no claims. No tracker required.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
JLRnumber5 said:
£600 is a lot of money. I'm 43 and live in central London and the car is parked in the street. I'm paying £273 with only a £250 excess and fully protected no claims. No tracker required.
Yeah I used Direct Line on my Mini Copper S back in 2003-2006. They were the cheapest by a huge amount.

It was stolen via breaking into our house and stealing the keys. It took nearly 3 months for them to agree that I was telling the truth (yup I was fully investigated by their own team) ... when I finally got the offer it was for £7000 ... the car at the time was worth £12,000 + !!

In a odd turn of events, due to it taking SO long to agree anything the police finally found my car on a random number plate recognition driving through Watford. So I got it back.

5 weeks later an uninsured driver (a big white van) just pulled over on a duel carriage way hitting me dead in the front side - he said he didn't see me. The repair was over £4,000 as the whole front end was bent and smashes, along with the axle and wishbone. Even though they gave correct details (name + address) they were not insurred. DL then went after them for the car repair. The Investigated said they had no money nor anything of signifcant value to take as compensation ... so they never followed it up and told me to take it to private courts.

They charged my full £300 excess .... and kept the claim as "my fault" because the other party hadn't excepted blame.

Even though at the time they were making large claims that they protect you against uninsured drives ... it was really they screw you over unless they can get everything back from the other driver ... very small print.

I learnt my lesson with DL and other cheap insurances out there, now I check almost all the details.

* Official Parts and Panels Used.

* A hire car in case of a right off or stolen vehicle for 14 days. (Also see if they replace with similar size - not essential but worth checking for comparison.

* First Year ownership from new - full replacement of Car

* Exact details and conditions on Protected No Claims (some allow 1 or 2 accidents a year ... some drop you 1 year per accident .. some drop you to 3 years ... etc...)

*Exact details on being hit by an uninsured driver - Most of them only give you the Excess back if they get the money from you - some only say if you were not at fault then while it counts as a claim you were not responsible .. some say other party needs to accept blame.

*EU Cover for 60/90Days ... if you pop aboard once a year it's worth making sure it's included. Also read small print .. some are extremely dodgy when it comes to EU cover and the small print.

With these in mind I did look at Privilege and got a good quote ... but need to check 2 points from the above list.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Thanks for the tips Gdank. I had DL pay out very promptly on a previous claim and had good customer service over the years but like you say it only takes one bad experience and you won't return which I understand.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just been trying to solve a problem I have with my Remote App and came across this...

https://static-jlprod.wirelesscar.net/static/docs/manuals/owner/MyJaguarLandRoverInControlManual_en_GB.pdf

Now to cut a long link short it is the on-line manual for the InControl app, and on pages 42/43 it says:-

InControl Secure is Thatcham accredited (CAT 6), a UK quality standard for stolen vehicle tracking systems. The Thatcham security testing regime is considered to be one of the most rigorous in the world and acts as a benchmark for crime prevention measures internationally.

Thatcham CAT 6 is recognised by major insurers and may allow you to get a premium discount.
You can view and print the certificate of Thatcham compliance by clicking on the "View Certificate" link on the right side of the vehicle dashboard page.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow, well done finding that.

In the end I got insure for £270 so was pleased with that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts