Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Word up peeps,

So, we have finally decided that we will be getting the F Pace. Decided on about 5 grand of extras on the S in BRG, however I find myself torn...

Do I take the "sensible" choice of the 3.0 litre diesel or do I be stupid and opt for the extra 80 bhp and 0.7 seconds to 60...

Thoughts??

·
Registered
247 Posts
Been there, done that - changed petrol to diesel. Read a few reviews first though, first diesel I will have ever had

·
Registered
142 Posts
Suppose it partly depends upon the amount of miles you cover per year. I do just under 10k and have been driving a 3.0 diesel the last 3 years. I bought the diesel because it was the quickest model (C350) unless I went for the C63. My shopping list this year was fast, awd, and petrol. I miss the sound from the exhaust I suppose. As a car dealer friend of mine said if you got the same mpg/tax banding from a petrol as you do a diesel, would anyone actually choose to have a diesel? However if I were doing 20k+ miles a year I would probably have gone for the diesel. Also you may choose a diesel if you want the extra torque which is useful for towing heavy loads...... I think?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Really depends on the period you intend it keep it for, under 4 go for diesel because it's residuals will out strip the petrol every time.

·
Registered
142 Posts
luminated said:
Really depends on the period you intend it keep it for, under 4 go for diesel because it's residuals will out strip the petrol every time.
Not so as others have pointed out in this forum. These are the figures I was given by Jaguar finance on 15th September (although I am sure they are not as good now as I have seen others on the forum with less of a difference).
Cash price £57849
Deposit £15000
4 years pcp
Petrol £574.51 per month, Gfv £23536.00
Diesel £634.48 per month Gfv £21874.00

·
Registered
948 Posts
Time will only tell but if true then the F-Pace would buck the trend because everywhere else diesels have stronger residuals than their equivalent petrol version.

·
Registered
473 Posts
luminated said:
Time will only tell but if true then the F-Pace would buck the trend because everywhere else diesels have stronger residuals than their equivalent petrol version.
But it already has XF 3ltr petrol residuals are better than the 3D and in my view the restrictions on diesel pollutants will get more severe given the air quality issues particularly in London, IMHO in time petrol's in other marques may start to echo Jag residuals....

But getting away from the residual issues my choice was made to go back to petrol because I have been driving 6 cyclinder diesels in RR's Discoveries and Audi's for the last 10 years and wanted to get back to using the revs, listening to the exhaust, and changing gear myself when in the mood rather than surfing the torque.

An easy choice for me as now only doing about 10k miles, I used to be nearer 25k in which it would have been diesel.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How is the exhaust note in the diesel. Obviously it is not going to be as loud and bubbly as the petrol but surely it has some growl

·
Registered
34 Posts
Drove the 3.0d S , it's not bad but if you want a Jag rather than RR , go petrol .

The 3 litre is a good engine but not in VW' s league as seen in the Audi or Porsche. The petrol on the other hand is a stonking engine and sounds great.

If worrying about residuals then a diesel is better but if you want a proper sports SUV then petrol

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll be keeping for a year then probably get another one. Maybe get the SVR when it comes out...

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Petrol for me and its certainly a heart over head decision and also the fact I've had Diesel for last 6 years. I want a change, what a change in sound and drive. yes the Diesel is very good and you will get more miles per gallon.
I've got an older 3.0 S in my XF and its great. Mileage I still only get 34 - 36 even on a run and probably mid 20s or so in town.

I dont do many miles so had to go Petrol really. I'll let you know in a few months if that really was the right decision or not.
I've not even driven it. I've driven the Diesel and you wont be disappointed its a great engine.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Mbadger77 said:
Petrol for me and its certainly a heart over head decision and also the fact I've had Diesel for last 6 years. I want a change, what a change in sound and drive. yes the Diesel is very good and you will get more miles per gallon.
I've got an older 3.0 S in my XF and its great. Mileage I still only get 34 - 36 even on a run and probably mid 20s or so in town.

I dont do many miles so had to go Petrol really. I'll let you know in a few months if that really was the right decision or not.
I've not even driven it. I've driven the Diesel and you wont be disappointed its a great engine.
+1 :twisted:

·
Registered
948 Posts
Tex said:
Drove the 3.0d S , it's not bad but if you want a Jag rather than RR , go petrol .

The 3 litre is a good engine but not in VW' s league as seen in the Audi or Porsche. The petrol on the other hand is a stonking engine and sounds great.

If worrying about residuals then a diesel is better but if you want a proper sports SUV then petrol
I run a 3.0TDI A6 for 18 months and then changed to the RRS, can't say I felt the same as you here. I got only 36mpg out of the Audi and get 31.8mpg out of the much heavier and much less aerodynamic RRS driving the same journeys everyday, if anything I reckon the JLR engine is a bit more economical and soulful in exhaust note though neither are the match for the BWM 3.0d.

I understand the agreement on both sides because driving is still and very personal thing but that said I still reckon a torque laden unit suits this type of vehicle better than a similar sized petrol, now if it were a 510hp v8SC under the bonnet even I would be choosing that but until that day I'll happily stick with the V6 oil burner. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts