Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D :D I am finally due to pick up my FP R Sport on Friday since ordering in September
Or so I thought!!

I was originally given a delivery date of May. Then at one point was told I shouldn't have been promised that and it would be June. - hey ho it's only 1 month.

I have repeatedly asked for a Build Date and Date for final specifications and been told we'll advise you as soon as we know.

I got a request for final specifications by email on 29th March with a build date 6th June. I was away on holiday so replied with my final spec 7th April.

Fast forward to week of delivery, funds arranged to be in place for payment, number plate taken of my old car ready, sale agreed on my old car - Happy Days.

Yesterday I get the final order form to sign by email and on checking it's coming in cheaper than the configurator. Turns out they haven't ordered my final spec but the original one from back in September. It seems the last amendment date was 30th March (the day after I received the request and whilst I was on holiday). They didn't tell me that the final order had to be in 30th March - I picked the email up but was abroad so dealt with it when I got back and at no point has anyone told me.

Now I'm stuck. I need the vehicle for Friday but don't want to accept a lower spec car than I chose (difference is Red/Black Leather against Black, added Rear Camera and Heated rear seats).

The dealer has said earliest he would be able to get my car in the correct spec would be September/October. I don't mind waiting but need/want a vehicle between then.

The dealer principal has given me 3 options:
[*]Take the vehicle and they'll give me a discount/dealer extras (not specified yet). Not Ideal
[*]Cancel my order and refund the deposit - I've waited 9 months and want my FPace!!

[*]Take the car now and give me a Guaranteed Future Value on it to part-ex when mine comes in. I'm waiting on figures.

Am I being totally unreasonable to expect the dealer to take the hit on the 3 month old F-Pace. I'm sure he'd sell it at almost list price anyway.

What should be a happy time is turning very sour!!

Any advise would be appreciated - I will only name and shame the dealer if it ends unhappily but would rather it was sorted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,073 Posts
SonicPace said:
I'd go for option 3, with the GFV being the purchase price! This isn't your mistake?
Without sounding harsh it sort of is his mistake / lack of action BUT also comms from the dealer.

He was asked to provide his FINAL spec by 29th March but didn't send it until 7th April so they put through his FINAL spec they had on file which was from the previous September. The dealer absolutely did the right thing here and had asked for a final spec BUT where I think there is a problem is that they should have made a phone call to try and follow up OR when he emailed the spec on the 7th April said sorry we put through already and its too late so he knew then not now.

Once the order is placed for final build it cant be changed and if a customer hasn't come back with the new details initially its not their fault really.

Saying ALL that I think there is some stuff to work with. I think it is unreasonable to take the hit on a 3 month usage of the car for free. If the roles were reversed and you asked the customer to provide details by X date and they didn't then they wanted you to give them a car for free for 3 months and give you full value would you really ? I run a business and I wouldn't do that but there is an element of customer service. Can they give you an older jag of some other model maybe and work a deal on that ?

Its a tough one. I'd be annoyed at not having the right car but I'd also be real annoyed at myself for not getting it in on time or doing the change much earlier - September until March plenty of time (I've just changed mine again yesterday lol after finding out its not even locked in yet as I though it was)
A discount is pretty good offer but you don't have right car.
if you really want the right spec maybe its worth getting a new one and waiting and seeing if maybe get a few extras on it ?

Bit of a crappy situation I think all round.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
302 Posts
Additional Option 4 ...... They keep the car and sell (i'm sure they wouldn't have any problem). You order a new one and until it arrives they provide you with a demonstrator of some type .....

Benefit of this are:

  • It costs them next to nothing to do this (couple hundred quid on putting you on their insurance).
    They are seen to be helping.
    They will be keen to expedite your new order.
    You get the car that you spec'd (although later than the drop dead date!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
539 Posts
Mbadger77 said:
SonicPace said:
I'd go for option 3, with the GFV being the purchase price! This isn't your mistake?
Without sounding harsh it sort of is his mistake / lack of action BUT also comms from the dealer.

He was asked to provide his FINAL spec by 29th March.....
Nope, that's not what it says in the first post:

"I got a request for final specifications by email on 29th March with a build date 6th June. I was away on holiday so replied with my final spec 7th April."

" It seems the last amendment date was 30th March (the day after I received the request and whilst I was on holiday). They didn't tell me that the final order had to be in 30th March"

They sent him an email on the 29th asking for the spec, but failed to say it had to be back by the 30th. Why would the dealer submit a spec without a reply to an email?

I'm sticking to this is a dealer issue!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
922 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems, bit of a tough one and cant see an easy fix. They all are a compromise one way or another, see what figures they come back with, and extras, but a wrong car is a wrong car, even with a big red ribbon on it!
Think this also highlights that a rear camera should really be standard fitment at this level and size of car.. Base model or otherwise!!
At least the dealer appears to be trying to reach a resolution with you, and after some of the bad dealer stories on here, should be acknowledged even if thier internal processes need looking at!
Please let us know how you get on!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,073 Posts
SonicPace said:
Mbadger77 said:
SonicPace said:
I'd go for option 3, with the GFV being the purchase price! This isn't your mistake?
Without sounding harsh it sort of is his mistake / lack of action BUT also comms from the dealer.

He was asked to provide his FINAL spec by 29th March.....
Nope, that's not what it says in the first post:

"I got a request for final specifications by email on 29th March with a build date 6th June. I was away on holiday so replied with my final spec 7th April."

" It seems the last amendment date was 30th March (the day after I received the request and whilst I was on holiday). They didn't tell me that the final order had to be in 30th March"

They sent him an email on the 29th asking for the spec, but failed to say it had to be back by the 30th. Why would the dealer submit a spec without a reply to an email?

I'm sticking to this is a dealer issue!
Yes fair enough. Dealers don't give enough clear information and though they clearly said its a final change and the order has been in for 6 months your right they should have followed up with a call and mentioned the final date was actually that day. Poor Comms and a bit unfortunate but see what the figures say.
Not quite the same as ordering wrong spec and each side has a stand point so best compromise is order of the day I think.
The dealer will submit the spec as there was one already on file from September so there was a spec and 7 months in which the spec could have been updated. If the dealer hadn't submitted and the delivery had dropped a month and the customer wanted the spec then I'm sure he'd be upset by that.
just unfortunate timing and poor Comms all round really,
Hopefully he can sort something but at least some options - just see what they offer and hopefully it's fair enough
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,073 Posts
The other thing Pete is he says Sept Oct. given how their dates have been moving it may be hard to pin down that exact date and what if it rolls to December ?
The seat colour I guess may not be deal breaker but the rear camera is a pretty big thing that changes the use of the car and heated seats more of an issue,
May be worth phoning a few places or seeing if anyone else can sort something then you have the option if you need it.

Did they ever mention the last order date and its importance.? My dealer even though I've now got a bloody July last modification stressed I should just put changes in early in case it gets moved or we miss the date
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all your comments. I believe it was just poor communication, had they said they needed a final spec for the following day I would have got it to them. As much as I intend not to look at emails when I'm on holiday much to the wife's annoyance I always do, so had they said they need the spec by the following day or called, I would have found a way to get it to them.

Anyway after having slept on it, I came to the decision I wasn't prepared to wait a further 5 months for the car I wanted.
The dealer had offered a GFV at £40k against the original £43,500 but that wouldn't have worked with the finances, I would have had to find a further £4k+ in October for the better spec'd car. Also I didn't want to drive the next 5 months thinking what if I scratch the alloys or someone opens a door into the car, the dealer wouldn't give me the full £40k trade-in.

I decided I could live without heated seats in the back (I don't sit there). So went to view the car to see if I could live with the leather colour and asked the dealer to look at what he was prepared to offer if I took the car in the current spec. I also went to check on lead times for a Q7 or RRS so I had fall back options (be it more costly ones) if I wasn't happy.

As expected as soon as I sat in the car I loved it (I knew I would) and after some negotiating we got to a satisfactory outcome. I'm due to take delivery on Monday.

Fair play to the dealer principal he did try to get the problem sorted, ultimately it was lack of communication.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,073 Posts
Brilliant Good news in the end - not the ideal spec you wanted but a cheaper price and a bit of a deal had.
Probably best outcome all round.
I've got another 3.5 months wait even though put a deposit down last October - it's a long wait - I'd be happy taking one on Monday :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
948 Posts
Glad everything has worked out in the end though not wanting to sound harsh if you hadn't checked you emails whilst on holiday I could understand your disappointment but you did check it and decided not to reply for a further week. Asking for final spec should have told you this needs sorted promptly, why didn't you just email back there and then it would have took no time at all.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,953 Posts
Pete1909 said:
As expected as soon as I sat in the car I loved it (I knew I would) and after some negotiating we got to a satisfactory outcome. I'm due to take delivery on Monday.
So a happy outcome after all. I'm very glad for you. Enjoy your new car, it'll be superb and lotsa fun, I'm sure! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
948 Posts
Dp
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
363 Posts
Interestingly my bad times with my XE started with the dealer forgetting my power fold mirrors and heated front windscreen... I had waiting 6 months for my XE and wanted the car when it showed up. I um'd and ah'd about rejecting the car as it wasn't my spec but they were kind of minor features that were missing. I ended up getting 15% off the car which was a decent chunk of change... although my experience with the XE wasn't a good one it did mean that when I got Jaguar to buy it back off me because of the problems I only lost £420 over 12 months, plus I have a Jaguar fleet car until my FP is ready in September so not devaluing anything!
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top