Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Ryan,

I know this may be a difficult question and will also be dependant on usage, however...

We know as owners we have to provide a second Sim to physically install in the car to access the online features of inControl when outside the range of a wireless network.

There are different Sim only data packages on the market with varying cost (1gb, 3gb 5gb per month etc), I don't want to pay over the odds for data I don't need but also don't want to pay excessive charges for excess data (i.e. should I go for the 1gb package).

Is there any guidance on how much data Incontrol uses when roaming so we can make an informed decision?

Thanks in advance
Darren

·
Registered
11 Posts
Although this doesn't answer your query about how much data allowance is needed, I have a suggestion with regard to the SIM card.
Some mobile providers allow you to share your monthly data allowance with a second SIM card, Vodafone call this DataShare.

Effectively you get a free second SIM card which shares your monthly data allowance with your phone.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think the Bluetooth pairing for calls etc covers the data for Incontrol.

Great suggestion on second sim and sharing tariffs, my phone however is company provided so no such flexibility I'm afraid :eek:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Suggest getting a 3 mobile sim only deal. For £20 a month for 12 month contract you get Unlimited Data plus 200 mins of calls. You can also use your allowance in a number of European Countries at no extra cost.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi all

Thank you for your posts.

I note the queries raised and would advise that usage will depend very much on what the vehicle operator does, core car functions ie connected navigation use circa 100MB a month for live traffic etc, however if you select satellite map view, this could use 50MB an hour. Outside of this it can be dependent on whether the vehicle operator uses the wifi hotspot to connect up the phone and then uses the data sim for audio streaming , video streaming or emails etc.

I have provided a rough guide on this below. I hope this helps.

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

Regards

Ryan

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
I made a couple of enquiries yesterday. My provider (Vodafone) wants £8 per month for a data only sim (presumably on a contract - sorry forgot to ask). As previously stated I had the option to "share" upto 4gb of my phone contracts 8gb data allowance.

EE were offering data sim cards on either a 30 day rolling period or a year contract. Strangely enough the prices were the exact same! 2gb was £17 per month. 1gb was available for less (£11 I think - don't quote me).

Getting a low tariff monthly sim is probably a good starting point to see what features you will use in the vehicle and the data that will consume?

·
Registered
453 Posts
You can get an iD sim giving 10gb of data per month for £12.50 a month from carphone wharehouse, its their own sim using 3s network not sure how good a countrywide coverage that is but its a good deal next best is BTs deal if you have bt broadband you can get 20gb a month for £20

·
Registered
458 Posts
Shaunyt said:
You can get an iD sim giving 10gb of data per month for £12.50 a month from carphone wharehouse, its their own sim using 3s network not sure how good a countrywide coverage that is but its a good deal next best is BTs deal if you have bt broadband you can get 20gb a month for £20
Hi Guys,
I have the ID mobile sims for my mobile access on my laptop/Ipad - it has pretty good coverage and includes 4G where available and the '3' network is also pretty good. Main problem I have is when inside buildings and the signal is reduced, but outside, and especially using the vehicles external antenna - it should do most of whats required!
My plan is unlimited data for £15/m.
Hope this helps

1 - 12 of 12 Posts