Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought it may be useful having a few posts in here about key features that may not be used much or might help people.

Now when I got the car the sales guy said here you can change how the car is setup and I imagined changing the hardness, throttle etc or having some say over it,

So I looked yesterday and essentially in dynamic mode you can change the steering, suspension, throttle etc to either factory or user - user ends up been normal mode or dynamic so it seems you turn dynamic on or off for each section and that's configurable dynamics ????

I read the blurb and it says you can change gear change points etc etc.

Not got a manual on me until tomorrow so thought I would ask - what can you do and how ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jagfpacejk said:
Look here at this you tube video from Jaguar, there is others as well.

Actually a good video but doesn't answer my we question of if it can be modified not just turned on and off per element and if it can how's it actually done.
I'll have a look a bit later and get the manual out once I get home
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
302 Posts
You've arrived at the same point as I did the other week.... All you seem to be able to do is to toggle each of the four elements between Normal or Dynamic modes .... 'Configurable' appears to be a 'marketing term'
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think that's more than a marketing term. It's almost deceitful

Here is the text from their front page web site
"Bringing technology from F-TYPE, the optional* Configurable Dynamics system allows you to set up F-PACE's dynamics for throttle mapping, gearbox shift points and steering to suit your performance driving needs. When Adaptive Dynamics*+ is fitted, you can make your setting even more personal by configuring the damper settings. "

So I can setup the dynamics for throttle mapping and gearbox shift points as well and personalising by configuring the damper settings

Now to me that's more than turning on or off for each element. I don't expect much maybe just a 1-3 setting or simple selections.
I've driven 600 miles now and I'm actually having a bit of an issue with the bumpy / bouncy ride at higher speeds about 60 or so. The XF felt composed even up beyond 100 - 120 (abroad of course :) )
I'm not sure I'd want to take this too fast on anything that wasn't smooth - the M40 south is pretty bump and in normal mode it's quite concerning , in dynamic it's better but not a patch on the XF. I know the XF is a different car I just thought it would be a great motorway car. It's more comfortable than the XF on the plus side.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,228 Posts
Hi Mb

Something doesn't sound quite right. The FP is far more planted (even in non-dynamic mode) than my previous RRE or RRS. Granted you are probably getting used to the SUV driving position but you absolutely should not be experiencing a ride that makes you feel anything other than utterly surefooted.

Have you checked tyre pressures? Mine set to 38 all round out of the factory. Haven't changed that (might like a couple of PSI out of each)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JLRnumber5 said:
Hi Mb

Something doesn't sound quite right. The FP is far more planted (even in non-dynamic mode) than my previous RRE or RRS. Granted you are probably getting used to the SUV driving position but you absolutely should not be experiencing a ride that makes you feel anything other than utterly surefooted.

Have you checked tyre pressures? Mine set to 38 all round out of the factory. Haven't changed that (might like a couple of PSI out of each)
Yes was 31 out of dealership so put to 36. Vehicle recommends 34-43 when fully loaded so 36.

It feels sure footed on smooth roads but at 50 and above its pretty lively and bumpy - the XF wasn't anywhere near as bumpy. Dynamics helps and makes it firmer and I'm happy driving at higher speeds but honestly in normal mode I would drive the car at 90 or 100 as its slightly a nervy experience
I'm putting it down to been an SUV the wife's Quashqai moves around a bit as well over roads not super smooth.

Around B roads etc last few days it's been great but generally there I'm doing speeds 30 - 60 and not maintaining speed like motorway or,dual carriageway speeds
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok been through this and read the manual and despite all,the talk of really personally configuring the gear change point etc etc then you can in dynamic mode have that element on or off that's it -
So engine, steering, suspension and gearbox - each element can be dynamic on or dynamic off so you could mix normal,steering with dynamic everything else which I'd not imagine you really wanting.

Bit disappointing give the depth of marketing words used.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,035 Posts
Mbadger77 said:
Ok been through this and read the manual and despite all,the talk of really personally configuring the gear change point etc etc then you can in dynamic mode have that element on or off that's it -
So engine, steering, suspension and gearbox - each element can be dynamic on or dynamic off so you could mix normal,steering with dynamic everything else which I'd not imagine you really wanting.

Bit disappointing give the depth of marketing words used.
As you have found they are letting you play with four settings, rather then them all being set to dynamic or all being set to normal, I have never played with any of them as I only drive in dynamic, never even driven the car in normal so I would not know what it felt like, perhaps I should but I guess I only ever drove my Evoque in Dynamic and its followed me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
302 Posts
"It feels sure footed on smooth roads but at 50 and above its pretty lively and bumpy "

Something is not right with your car (there is another forum member that had their suspension checked) .... Believe me there are a load of bumpy roads in my part of the country and on all of them I feel that the car is well planted to the tarmac (both in Normal and Dynamic)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,228 Posts
Jagfpacejk said:
Mbadger77 said:
Ok been through this and read the manual and despite all,the talk of really personally configuring the gear change point etc etc then you can in dynamic mode have that element on or off that's it -
So engine, steering, suspension and gearbox - each element can be dynamic on or dynamic off so you could mix normal,steering with dynamic everything else which I'd not imagine you really wanting.

Bit disappointing give the depth of marketing words used.
As you have found they are letting you play with four settings, rather then them all being set to dynamic or all being set to normal, I have never played with any of them as I only drive in dynamic, never even driven the car in normal so I would not know what it felt like, perhaps I should but I guess I only ever drove my Evoque in Dynamic and its followed me.
Funny world huh. I almost never drove my Evoque in dynamic as whilst I loved the sharper throttle and steering response I hated the ride. So for me the "configurable" FP is perfect. Ok not up to the marketing hype perhaps but I for one love the fact I can tweak the 4 settings off or on.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,035 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
Jagfpacejk said:
Mbadger77 said:
Ok been through this and read the manual and despite all,the talk of really personally configuring the gear change point etc etc then you can in dynamic mode have that element on or off that's it -
So engine, steering, suspension and gearbox - each element can be dynamic on or dynamic off so you could mix normal,steering with dynamic everything else which I'd not imagine you really wanting.

Bit disappointing give the depth of marketing words used.
As you have found they are letting you play with four settings, rather then them all being set to dynamic or all being set to normal, I have never played with any of them as I only drive in dynamic, never even driven the car in normal so I would not know what it felt like, perhaps I should but I guess I only ever drove my Evoque in Dynamic and its followed me.
Funny world huh. I almost never drove my Evoque in dynamic as whilst I loved the sharper throttle and steering response I hated the ride. So for me the "configurable" FP is perfect. Ok not up to the marketing hype perhaps but I for one love the fact I can tweak the 4 settings off or on.
So do you have everything on Dynamic apart from Suspension?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
473 Posts
Mike, I am used to driving lots of SUV's for the last 20 years, disco's Rangies, freelanders, Defenders, G wagon's Land cruisers as well as lots of sports saloons.

Maybe you are acclimatising to a SUV driving experience but this is the most dynamic (sorry) most rounded chassis I have drive in a 4x4, I regularly do three figures on quiet A roads (obviously in Germany your honour not Wales definitely not Wales) and the ride is great, attack a corner mash the throttle and feel the torque vectoring kick in, had the back end step when really pushing but always feels catchable... (famous last words)

yes there is more float due I think to the long suspension travel and the higher centre of gravity but its very pointy for what is a big heavy car, the Rangie sport feels like you are in a boat by comparison.

having stepped out of a A5 Quattro 3D, yes I think I could push the Audi through bends a little quicker, its a mass thing, BUT the feel through the steering wheel and the rear wheel grip is orders of magnitude better, the Audi was fast but felt sterile, the FP communicates and is damn near as quick through the twisties but is much more fun, yes it goes airborne of the crests across the moors when the Audi didn't but and this is the key thing for an SUV its very agile and communactive in way a LR or Merc or Audi or Beemer isn't, I reckon the Macon S would be similar but too frantic...

its either a suspension fault or adjusting to driving a SUV, Jag have done a great job with the handling buts its still a nearly 2 tonne 4 x 4....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes took it,out again tonight to push a bit harder
Handling is better and I have more confidence in bends or out of corners / roundabouts etc than the previous car
It was only the straight line bounce and high speed motorway travel that made me think maybe I had an issue

I'll see how I get on - watched a couple of reviews and could see it bouncing around a fair bit so it may all be as expected. I'm also very aware I've come from a XF S. The wife's Quasqai is the only regular reference I have and that bounces about as well but can't corner of course :)

Back to the configurable dynamics after reading rah blurb o was expecting a bit more rather than on off but as above some people have found it useful so that's good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,022 Posts
^ reply...

We whizz along unrestricted autobahns at 120mph in our R-design Volvo XC60 and it feel perfectly safe, conditions permitting. Having test driven the 3.0d S F-Pace extensively I see no reason why we wouldn't do the same with that car, when it comes.

Not sure I would want to go much faster TBH. Not because of the car's stability but simply because, at 120mph, the speed difference between cars is already significant and reading the road ahead becomes more and more challenging the faster you go. Plus the wind resistence increases exponentially such that fuel consumption becomes so heavy that queuing at the fuel pump negates the time saved by driving fast!

Arianne
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,228 Posts
I drove at 80-85 down the A3 yesterday for around 40 miles (mainly dual carriageway) and it felt as if I was stationary. Pretty sure my passenger would have been able to hand write a letter!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
If you have settings on light load then I wouldn't have tyres inflated past 34- I find it is not as planted as my xf but I expected it- as the previous posters have said it is a relatively big heavy suv
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Golf2016 said:
If you have settings on light load then I wouldn't have tyres inflated past 34- I find it is not as planted as my xf but I expected it- as the previous posters have said it is a relatively big heavy suv
Yes tyre pressures are interesting. I'd be put "testing " some more but it's getting ceramic coated at moment.
34 is the min pressure required on 22 tyres and 43 is the max at full load from memory. I did have wife 2 kids and full boot so 36 seemed nice compromise for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
JLRnumber5 said:
I drove at 80-85 down the A3 yesterday for around 40 miles (mainly dual carriageway) and it felt as if I was stationary. Pretty sure my passenger would have been able to hand write a letter!
Yes on smooth roads no problem. Like I've said in corners it seems great - better than XF in many ways so if I had faulty suspension the corners surely would be a problem so it's just me having to get used to a different type of ride.

As the M3 turns into the A316 that overpass bend is pretty bumpy and it jumps around a bit

Did a number of speed bumps and was much better - seems to be the type of speed hump.

Not sure I've found many stretched the passenger could hand write a letter but I'll give it another week or two and get more miles in before I make a decision on anything.
Maybe I'll film a section of road in a 6 yr old Quasqai and same stretch in the jag so I can visibly see the difference or maybe I won't be that bothered :)
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top