Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a rather problematic delivery (traffic delays, transporter breakdown....), i finally got my early Christmas present :D

Into the detailers on Thursday then more pictures on Christmas Eve.....

View attachment Fpace.pdf

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Merry xmas

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve - Mine order took only 3 months to fulfill so hopefully you wont wait too long :).
BTW - All doors align 100% - phew .....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Collected the car from the detailers last night. Here are the pics. Would definitely recommend getting this done to your new Fpace - I went for 2 ceramic coats and a few other bits and pieces.

By the way - only 250 miles on the clock but i absolutely love this car, such a dream to drive!

Attachments

·
Registered
419 Posts
FAB..................................U...............................LOUS

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Looks beautiful

·
Registered
61 Posts
Lovely car, enjoy!

·
Registered
205 Posts
davisopr said:
Collected the car from the detailers last night. Here are the pics. Would definitely recommend getting this done to your new Fpace - I went for 2 ceramic coats and a few other bits and pieces.

By the way - only 250 miles on the clock but i absolutely love this car, such a dream to drive!
Now that is one very very very nice looking car. Some might like the look of Ferraris or Porsches or Lamborginins or Astin Martins etc -- BUT that looks better than them all ! -

Good choice - enjoy and merry Xmas.......

·
Registered
441 Posts
Not sure where this latest fad started but it is certainly popular in the USA and is now the latest thing that the dealers have latched on to as a potential money spinner. The general feeling within the automotive painting industry is that these relatavely expensive treatments offer little lasting benifit other than the initial glossy sheen which fades. The main problem which the industry sights is that the chemicals including silicon in some of these post factory paint treatments give them problems when panels have to be repaired and painted in eradicating these chemicals for preparation. You pay your money and take your choice but mine was to resist my dealer salesman and pay his commission following advice that the shine can be replicated with Autoglym at a fraction of the cost of professionally applied paint treatments.

·
Registered
138 Posts
With no disrespect hydrajaws, if you don't know or understand the differences in the development of chemicals, treatments and 'polishes' (and I am using that term very very loosely so as not to confuse anyone) then you shouldn't really believe all you are told.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I would be the first to admit my own inadequecy in understanding the differences between chemical processes and or polishes used in aftermarket paint treatments .I do trust the experts who have submitted their findings in trade publications widely read by the automotive paint industry and my comments were based on this only.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I wouldn't say inadequate. I'd say you just shouldn't believe everything you're told.

Or maybe I'm wrong. Would you care to let me know some of the respected trade publications you're referring to so I could do a bit of research myself? It's not auto express or anything as unbiased as that though, is it?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Hydrajaws said:
Not sure where this latest fad started but it is certainly popular in the USA and is now the latest thing that the dealers have latched on to as a potential money spinner. The general feeling within the automotive painting industry is that these relatavely expensive treatments offer little lasting benifit other than the initial glossy sheen which fades..
The dealership offered protection is normally extremely overpriced as they get a large cut, and they are normally just a wax which will only give you 1-2 years protection.

However any protection over the paint is a good thing, it minimises scratches from watching, lets water and dirt not only wash of easier but also helps it sticking in the first place, also most will protect against bird droppings etc.

Now again you are part correct that a simple and cheap home protection (like autoglym) that you apply yourself is often a good enough for lost people. I did this on my Kia and the paint still looked mint after 3 years (I applied twice, once when I brought it, and again 2 years later)

However a long lasting ppf or crystal protection professionally applied done directly (and not via a dealership) can be very much worth it, especially if you are in the £60k+ range on purchase. These are often half the cost of a dealership recommended product and will last twice as long.

Paint protection is worth it, but it's very wise to do your research and find a product that suits you and your budget, and generally never purchase via a dealership .... this also applies to chip/dent / wheel/tyre / gap insurances too.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It is the new thing: detailing, but when you actually drill down into the nitty gritty, there is a lot to be said for it.

Firstly, even on receipt of any new car from any brand, the paint actually is not completely perfect. It takes about 4 hours of polishing to remove the holograms and swirl marks on the top clear coat (often caused by small amounts of dirt being pushed around by a duster at a showroom ready for you to see it). The result will be your paintwork looking like glass. This is before any products are added. There are alternative products such as glazes that fill in these scratches, but inevitably that is a shorter term solution.

Secondly, a coating can be from your traditional cannuba wax (I assume previous posters accept that this is a tried and tested method) which lasts a month or so at best and then various levels of coatings. The coatings and sealants leave a film across the body work that when cured slowly wears down according to the product used. They preserve the clear coat making it less susceptible to scratches, attack from bird poo and other contaminants from the road. I still have my white Audi A4 and you really notice when paying attention to washing the car the build up of brake dust/iron debris. If anyone has ever used a product like Car Pro Iron X on a white car like mine, you will be astounded at the amount stuck to the car slowly eating through the paint to the metal. Even a new car will come with some contaminants stuck to them and this is removed as part of the detailing process chemically and/or with a clay bar.

As to removing the coatings, as long as you know what has been applied, it can be be removed by appropriate chemicals as directed by the coating manufacturer. For any repairs, the newly repaired section can be retreated upon completion.

The whole process makes your paintwork and alloys vastly easier to clean and in any event, noticeably stays cleaner for longer. As ever, you need to cut through the sales speak to the important bits. I have noticed a massive improvement with my wife's car (done professionally) and my own (detailed to a lesser extent on a DIY basis).

After researching this some time back, the one conclusion I did come to is, if you are going to do it, do NOT accept the offer from the dealership. They will charge a large sum (or purport to give it to you for free) for very little benefit. It costs them about £80 per car plus their labour. But it is normally a muppet in their shop just slapping on some product with no care or love. If you can justify spending £50k+ on a car, it is not doing you any favours. There are loads around the country that provide the service. One locally to me (http://www.detailyoureyecandy.co.uk/) charges about £600 and it takes 2-3 days labour.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wow! you have just made my 8 weeks to go seem like an awful long time :) I am like wise considering getting a detailing done with the 2 ceramics plus Diamond finish. Don't know if I can bear to wait the further 4 days but..... Anybody have any comment if the ceramic + type of coatings would be justified on a basic polaris white (i.e. solid rather than metallic) as opposed to my own elbow greased clay bar and polymer coated diy style?
Definitely agree that "dealer" style life shines etc are of questionable long term benefit.

·
Registered
612 Posts
EvoUpgrade said:
Wow! you have just made my 8 weeks to go seem like an awful long time :) I am like wise considering getting a detailing done with the 2 ceramics plus Diamond finish. Don't know if I can bear to wait the further 4 days but..... Anybody have any comment if the ceramic + type of coatings would be justified on a basic polaris white (i.e. solid rather than metallic) as opposed to my own elbow greased clay bar and polymer coated diy style?
Definitely agree that "dealer" style life shines etc are of questionable long term benefit.
I'm getting this applied tomorrow http://gtechniq.com/products/auto/perfect/exterior/paint/crystal-serum Takes 2 days for it to harden, I collect on the 5th in the evening.

I'll try and post a first impression next weekend and another longer one in a couple of months.

All I'll say now is that the car took me 2 hours to clean the other day (external only) and I wished it had some level of protection on it ... my older cars were all easier to clean, even if the wax was self applied. I'm hoping the money is well spent on my F-Pace in the long run.

Edit: Ps. sorry for derailing the thread :p

·
Registered
107 Posts
My wife and I both own white cars. My Audi despite being a 58 plate still looks awesome in solid white ibis paint.

However, it is both a blessing and a curse. It masks much more damage than a dark colour but also picks every bit of dirt up. It was the iron and tar that I used struggle with and the local handcar washes never got rid of in any respect. Both of these are not visible in the same way on most other colours. The iron particularly on white discolours the paint if not treated with rust marks. It is only on close inspection you can really see the impact. For that reason alone, next time I would definitely recommend a good sealant and if you can afford it, a ceramic coat.

The ceramic coatings are hard wearing there is no doubt. The applicator pads used all have to be binned after use as they harden up and are not re-useable.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts