Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well interesting breakfast read today. Car magazine review puts F Pace in 3rd in their test. Very mixed comments an interesting read when you get the chance

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1st Porsche Macan
2nd RR sport
3rd F Pace

Main complaints listed are :
road noise,
poor engine refinement ( 3.0d ) ,
hard ride
wonky stitching on leather !!! *** Is this another quality issue we need to monitor ?? ***

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have not read the review yet, however, having previously had a RRS 3.0 and I do think that overall, I prefer the F Pace - albeit because my priorities are slightly different.

My requirements are for something that is fun to drive, relatively quick, handles well and comfortable for long journeys. The RRS, in my opinion, is more refined, has a better overall ride and is supreme on the mundane, motorway schleps. Whilst it is fun in it's own right, the level of understeer is much more noticeable, the extra weight can also be felt in faster corners and the car has a greater degree of roll. The interior quality is, again in my opinion, at a much higher level than the F Pace - the plastics, leather and overall build are to a higher standard.

The F Pace interior, whilst not to the same quality standard, is a very nice place to be, and more modern in both architecture and technology. When it comes to handling and driving characteristics, I prefer the ability to balance the car on the throttle do dial out the understeer, I also prefer the sound of the 3.0D, which although more noticeable, has a lovely growl to it that the RRS lacks.

In tighter corners, it is possible to drift the FP and encourage a little oversteer (Trac DSC) whilst still keeping everything calm and controlled. The RRS will drift if really pushed, but it is a full 4 wheel drift, that whilst controllable, is not becoming and lacks decorum - the F Pace is a bit more hooligan!

The other contributing factor to choosing the F Pace rather than another RRS, was that nearly everyone I know, and certainly here in Harrogate, a large proportion of RRS's appear to be in residence!

I have omitted the Macan comparison because the amount of time I have had behind the wheel is limited. My recollections however, were of a supremely well crafted cabin which looked bland, a great engine - nice sound, excellent performance and free revving. The handling was very sports car like - better than the F Pace, however the ride was brittle, and although the handling was ultimately sharper, it lacked a sense of fun the the F pace has. Also, I don't think I could live with the looks!

Perhaps I should share the F Pace with "The Enemy" buy a F Type, or perhaps a nice 2014 Italian Racing Red XKR-S that is sitting at a nearby Jaguar dealer - I still regret selling my previous XKR-S more than any other car I have had!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Total BS but then what could you expect from CAR. I have an RRSport 3.0d and my last car was the same car just a different colour, in my opinion the F-Pace does an even better job of masking its speed than the RRS so neither noise or refinement were wanting on the demo I drove. Plus it's laughable to accuse the FP when the Macan is absolutely horrendous with this.

·
Registered
948 Posts
J48 said:
In all honesty it actually speaks volumes for the f pace the fact they are comparing it to the rr sport from the class above. :)
Not really, if you think about it the F-Pace is from the same company that brings us the RRS so comparisons were always going to be made and because the price range the F-Pace sits in it will also be compared with the Disco Sport too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would agree with sonic pace, that's where most reviewers place it, and is the competition I compared it with, realistically you have to go by the starting price of each car to decide which category they are in as they will all overlap in price somewhere otherwise we could even start comparing it to a fully loaded Skoda suv.
:D

·
Registered
948 Posts
J48 said:
I would agree with sonic pace, that's where most reviewers place it, and is the competition I compared it with, realistically you have to go by the starting price of each car to decide which category they are in as they will all overlap in price somewhere otherwise we could even start comparing it to a fully loaded Skoda suv.
:D
They will compare it to ones which the consumer might also consider, I'm moving from an RRS to it so obviously it's competition..... If only for the most costly of versions.

You also need to remember it sits in between sizes...... being bigger than the Q5/X3 but marginally smaller than the X5/RRS.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Interestedly, Top Gear magazine have a road test with the F Pace 3.0D S vs a Macan, SQ5 and Mercedes GLC.

The F Pace narrowly beats the other with the SQ5 getting a better review than the Macan.

As the reviews all suggest the suspension is harsh (on 22' wheels), I wonder whether their is a variance in cars or whether Dynamic mode is being overused. My experience to date in the FE is that even in Dynamic, the ride is firm but well controlled, although on poorly surfaced roads I do sometimes turn the Dynamic suspension setting off but leave the 'box, steering and engine in Dynamic.

I do think Jaguar should have included the In Control Touch Pro as standard, even if it meany a slightly higher list, as one criticism is of the standard infotainment system and Nav. Better quality plastics on the door cards and lower dash would not have gone amiss either.

Despite the creaking suspension (will be fixed Monday), I really enjoy my FE - I would still choose it over anything else in the class and over the RRS.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Coming out of an RRS I doubt I'll ever use the dynamic suspension setup on the FP simply because even in standard mode it will feel sportier than the RRSport. But to be honest with you I drove my car down to the Jag dealer to drive the demo and drove mine home again, at no point did I feel the FP felt uncomfortable in comparison.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
luminated said:
Coming out of an RRS I doubt I'll ever use the dynamic suspension setup on the FP simply because even in standard mode it will feel sportier than the RRSport. But to be honest with you I drove my car down to the Jag dealer to drive the demo and drove mine home again, at no point did I feel the FP felt uncomfortable in comparison.
I use Dynamic in my Evoque occasionally, mainly I think because whilst it's a very competent car it's by no means a sports car and the same can be said for the RRS.

In my second drive in an FP demonstrator (S diesel) I tackled a mix of roads with Dynamic on and off (without playing with the settings). The dealer let me have the car to myself for an hour because he said I was more likely to "press on a bit" if he wasn't sitting with me!

Anyway my conclusion (and I've owned a complete mix of cars - M3, Boxster S, Audi TT, RRS, XK-R, Evoque) is that somehow Jaguar have worked miracles. Even in standard mode it feels taught and responsive, with plenty of feedback and it's quite firm but supple if that makes sense. Even on the 22s and on broken bumpy B roads it felt supremely comfortable. In Dynamic it was a little unsettled over the rougher stuff, and I didn't sense that the handling was improved dramatically. It certainly felt a lot of fun. Time will tell how much I use Dynamic.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Russell said:
How can they complain about the F-Pace 3.0D engine, in relation to the RR Sport 3.0D, its the same engine!
We are talking about CAR magazine, logic goes out the window with them. :D

·
Registered
115 Posts
luminated said:
Russell said:
How can they complain about the F-Pace 3.0D engine, in relation to the RR Sport 3.0D, its the same engine!
It can be the EXACT same engine but in a different installation can be objectively worse or better depending upon the design of the install, just because it is the "same" engine doesn't mean it'll be as good in another vehicle.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Boxbrownie said:
luminated said:
Russell said:
It can be the EXACT same engine but in a different installation can be objectively worse or better depending upon the design of the install, just because it is the "same" engine doesn't mean it'll be as good in another vehicle.
I would have thought the main difference will be sound deadening insulation ,engine mounts, exhaust system , even if it's mapped a little differently which I doubt I don't think that will be the issue it will be the before mentioned engineering design items would be my guess. That said I test drove the RRS a couple of months before the FPwith same engine and I didn't recall it sounding noiser or harsher.

I hesitate to mention this but when I sold my MGB in 1979 I was looking for a stag and as a run around I had a twin carb 1.8 Morris marina (yes it was quite dreadful but was only for couple of months), that had the same engine as the MGB but was quite a bit quieter which I put down to exhaust and new design of engine mounts etc... To make it worse it was in sort of purply plum colour..... I didn't do my street cried any good as a 21 year old.... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
948 Posts
Boxbrownie said:
Ignoring the fact the engine is the same in both RRS and FP, giving a negative comment on this when everyone and his dog knows the Macan is worse is a joke. I lost interest in CAR when they claimed inside info that the last RS4 had a v8tt despite everyone else saying different, IMO they are a laugh.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts