Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out today to clean the car and whilst out there I could hear a humming noise from the front, went round the car and when I put my ear to the LED lights there is a loud humming noise coming from both of them.

Is this normal?

Can someone who has the LED lights that are fitted to a first edition please go see if there's is doing the same or is this fault number 6 with my car.

Thanks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi
Yes there is a humming from mine at the front but I was told it's the electronics system not the lights ?
Just checked it now and was all quiet until I pressed lock or unlock then the humming starts until system seems to go back to sleep mode
Will be interested to hear others views.

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mick1963 said:
Hi
Yes there is a humming from mine at the front but I was told it's the electronics system not the lights ?
Just checked it now and was all quiet until I pressed lock or unlock then the humming starts until system seems to go back to sleep mode
Will be interested to hear others views.
Thanks.

Mine is 100% from each headlight as each light at the front hums, have just unlocked and locked the car so will go look outside later.

Did they say how long it took the car to go into sleep mode?

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes just checked and the noise has gone, very strange I wonder why it does this.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Easy guys. I've had lots of cars that hum, buzz and make noises after shutdown. Our Ford Galaxy, XC90 and our current XC60 all did / do it.

I guess that, if you've already suffered a bucket load of issues, it's quite reasonable to be concerned. And the F-Pace does certainly sound like quite a complex vehicle.

Best wishes, Arianne

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But why do the lights whine?

Is there a fan or something to cool them down after use perhaps?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Come on Guys and Girls it's August 7th not APRIL 1st !!! So you can't be serious about lights making a humming noise. The men in white coats should be arriving any time. LoL
I can remember Spike Milligan being put in the boot of Peter Sellers Rolls Royce and was told to find and mark the squeak with a pencil as the car was driven along the streets of London at 2 o clock in the morning!!

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hydrajaws said:
Come on Guys and Girls it's August 7th not APRIL 1st !!! So you can't be serious about lights making a humming noise. The men in white coats should be arriving any time. LoL
I can remember Spike Milligan being put in the boot of Peter Sellers Rolls Royce and was told to find and mark the squeak with a pencil as the car was driven along the streets of London.!!!
You can be serious if you have an electrical issue with the car.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Checked with an engine stethoscope on my 2.0D ingenium today and the high pitch whine comes from the high pressure fuel injection pump or relay close to the pump..Nothing to be concerned about and it is definitely not your LED's. The noise appears when the start button is activated without starting the engine and disappears when the button is pushed again.

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hydrajaws said:
Checked with an engine stethoscope on my 2.0D ingenium today and the high pitch whine comes from the high pressure fuel injection pump or relay close to the pump..Nothing to be concerned about and it is definitely not your LED's. The noise appears when the start button is activated without starting the engine and disappears when the button is pushed again.
My noise is with the car all locked up and is not running, it clears after a while as said above when vehicle goes into sleep mode.

100% comes from the lights.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Not sure what gubbins there are inside the light units, but whining or squeaking noises from electronic units is often caused by the capacitors in the circuitry charging or discharging. Capacitors can be of different types of construction but some have paper and foil wrapped together with a coating on them that is used to build and hold the charge. The foil can vibrate because of the electric fields produced which is at super high frequency and cause the squeaking...might be that.?....might not be but hey!

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pos.k said:
Not sure what gubbins there are inside the light units, but whining or squeaking noises from electronic units is often caused by the capacitors in the circuitry charging or discharging. Capacitors can be of different types of construction but some have paper and foil wrapped together with a coating on them that is used to build and hold the charge. The foil can vibrate because of the electric fields produced which is at super high frequency and cause the squeaking...might be that.?....might not be but hey!
That could be the reason thank you for explaining.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts