Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
......and what differen it makes in each when I turn the gear knob to Sport.

So if I'm in Normal or Eco mode and I turn the knob to "S" what does this do and likewaise, if I'm in sports mode and I also turn the knob to "S" what's the additional benefit ?

·
Registered
492 Posts
In S it holds gears in lower gear for longer. In Dynamic it alters suspension, engine, gearbox and steering to a more sporty feel. In Eco it changes gear up sooner and turns some electical item off sooner ie. Heated screens, climate, heated seats to save fuel. If I have missed anything someone will correct me

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Correct you have to remember that the auto box with Sport mode and the adaptive dynamics pack are completely separate bits of kit that are available independently of each other.

The Sport mode on the auto box does three things:

1. Changes shift up pattern to higher revs so hangs in to gears longer.
2. Shifts down on deceleration to provide engine braking.
3. Holds on to a manual selected gear until you select another one or put the car back in auto. In Drive mode if you select a manual gear it will go back to auto after a short period.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Pos.k said:
What's eco?
Not something to be used unless you fancy hanging around all day for gears to make an extra 1 mpg, which ultimately you do not get because you have to push the accelerator so hard to make it work!!

·
Registered
458 Posts
If you think eco is slushy, try the low friction start - foot to the floor and inches away, which is spectacular on long wet grass in soft mud.
Have taken mine off road a couple of times and not disappointed one bit. Takes a bit of working out which tech to use, but was super impressed.
I went on a Land Rover experience day as SWMBO's cousin has an evoque so that is what we were in and the guy was adamant that the FP was virtually as good off road.
Incidentally, one of the guys who is mud plugging in defenders and disco's all day bought an FP 3.0d S as his own car.
In IRR of course, which he said was better.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I put it into eco today for the first time. Forgot it was actually there.

A Nissan Almera beat me off the line at the lights ( not that i was trying :roll: )

Never again

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks BigJohn and JLR - that answers my question - many thanks.

As an aside to Pos.k post, I've used my FP on the beach several times pulling my small Honwave 3.6 inflatable up and down through a mixture of very hard sand (no problem) very soft sugar sand, 6 inches deep (no problem) and at the waters edge, very deep wet shale sand which did cause a problem until I unhitched and drove out 20ft before connecting a rope, thereater, no problem. Therefore the FP serves the purpose I chose it for for which I'm happy. I did use Low Friction start in the shale but she just dug in with the extra weight.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
iloveabersoch said:
Thanks BigJohn and JLR - that answers my question - many thanks.

As an aside to Pos.k post, I've used my FP on the beach several times pulling my small Honwave 3.6 inflatable up and down through a mixture of very hard sand (no problem) very soft sugar sand, 6 inches deep (no problem) and at the waters edge, very deep wet shale sand which did cause a problem until I unhitched and drove out 20ft before connecting a rope, thereater, no problem. Therefore the FP serves the purpose I chose it for for which I'm happy. I did use Low Friction start in the shale but she just dug in with the extra weight.
Not that my car will ever be used for these purposes, but very interested to know, cheers
Piers

·
Registered
948 Posts
My last RRS was completely defeated with a very muddy hill because of it's 21" summer rubber yet a basic Vauxhall Fontera breezed up it on proper rubber. Don't expect miracles from your F Pace because tech can get you only so far....tyre choice ultimately determines how good any SUV is off road.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Well it's got to be better than my old XKR!

I had a long driveway with a very shallow 4 degree incline, but that was just too much for the XKR when it was covered in winter snow. Traction control had two modes .. off or on ... with it on you could plant your foot full on the accelerator and absolutely nothing would happen! The computer would just be saying "no!" .. with it off, even in second gear and the most tender kiss of the right pedal the rear wheels would be spinning on the spot and absolutely zero forward motion. Used to give my neighbours a good laugh.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts