Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the 3.0SC brigade will larf into the bottom of their testosterone fuelled yards of ale, but reading on another thread someone mentioned they were impressed with their 2.0l performance against a Z4 Beemer. OK the Z4 may not have realised he was being "challenged", but I quite often drive mine like I stole it and even when driven sedentary the little 2.0l bless it has a little bit of a raspy rumble to the exhaust note. So on reflection was I right to blow my extra spends on options or the bigger engine and less options??? I'm sure the bigger engine would make me smile on the few occasions I could use it. But the 2.0 ain't no slouch, I really love all the options and you really can't beat that feeling when you see people turn and point as you go by! To me, that's the winning crowning point of these cars, I really do love it despite the ICTP!! :D

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
Your right to blow your money on what makes you happy and from the sounds of it the car you have makes you have regardless of the engine or extras.

Its what you want that's important not what others think you should have.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JLRnumber5 said:
Are you catholic Carl? Sometimes your posts are a bit like a confessional. :lol:
Religion??? You having a larf?? Best not go there, that would be like cracking some 70's sexist joke about women drivers!!! :shock: :eek: :roll: :D

·
Registered
192 Posts
I currently drive a 3.0d XF and was a little apprehensive of going down to the 2.0d, but my test drive convinced me it wasn't an issue. As you say, it's no slouch and does have a pleasant sound when pushed. On my test vehicle it seemed much more refined than in a loaner XE - presumably down to better installation/isolation. Living in the south there are very few occasions when I could really exploit the 3.0 anway, so opted for better spec over engine size too. You also have the benefit of a significantly lighter engine (-100kg?) sitting over the front wheels which helps with the vehicle dynamics.

It often surprises me how many people "over engine" their spec compared to their driving style too - on all makes of cars as I often find myself stuck behind a powerful car where the driver clearly has no desire to go anywhere near its potential.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Having had 2 litre diesels for years, in 5 series, they have been more than adequate for 95% of the time, great cars and great engines.

I was a little peeved when a colleague bought the same car but with the 535d engine, which is rather quick, he drove it everywhere like he stole it, got better mpg and cheaper insurance!!!

So I always said I would try a 3litre as I have never owned a big capacity car, and the FP came up with the S look and I thought now was the time. I was originally going for an RRS.

Do agree though the 2 litre would have been fine

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Growler said:
It often surprises me how many people "over engine" their spec compared to their driving style too - on all makes of cars as I often find myself stuck behind a powerful car where the driver clearly has no desire to go anywhere near its potential.
That's me. I hardly ever use the full performance of the car.

For me it's about making good progress without thrashing the car. If I want to accelerate to 60 in around 8 seconds the car is hardly getting out of bed. Or overtake without changing down and just ride the wave of torque. I love the fact I've barely gone beyond 3000 rpm :)

·
Registered
473 Posts
Wayne said:
2.0L no way :roll: ...... :lol:
agreed

but i quite understand anyone who has to drive in greater London area, the roads are hell and you have little chance to exploit what performance is available...

on the other hand for me 85% of my 10k miles a year are on A&B roads 5% dual carriageways and the balance on the M56, 54 & 6 so it was also a no-brainer i get to max accelerator pedal (up to the legal limit obvs :lol: ) on every drive in the car.

If i lived in a big urban conurbation then i probably wouldn't even have an FP, we all choose cars for different reasons i guess, if i lived in the flat lands i would have chosen one of the last 6 cylinder Caymen's, reckon on my milage in three years it would have still been worth 80% of purchase price given they have put a 4 pot turbo in to replace the glorious flat 6, i think the last of the 6's will become a future classic...

Would still need a towing vehicle for the horses but as my good lady has a thing about "backies" then she would stick with one of those or a Disco as i would prefer the additional weight of the tow vehicle when towing 2500kgs, I suspect the demerit of the towing with an FP is its lightness, the very thing that helps the dynamics in everyday driving might not be so useful when towing 2 x 17hd horses that decide to get a little frisky in the trailer....

The FPSC is a great choice for me with type of miles I do and the I am fortunate to have twisty generally quiet roads, which in turn means I get to exploit the performance and the dynamics, its a boon on the single track lanes to get to my house (when the hedges have been cut) i get to see oncoming vehicles much sooner than i did in my Audi, and I have to have 4x4 in the winter months as ingress/egress can be a bit fraught when it freezes or snows.

sorry that became more long winded than i meant it to be.... was just trying to get across we all have different reasons for choosing the car and the engine derivative, and the key thing is choosing the right one for you doesn't mean the others are wrong............................ unless of course you chose DERV :shock: :roll: :mrgreen: :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mines at dealers next week so they are loaning my one of the demo cars, if it's one of the V6 options I may be eating my words!!! :eek: :shock:

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Exactly it's all down to personal choice and needs and the 2.0 is an ok engine and will get the job done as you need it but from my brief test drive it's an utterly horrible experience. It was a bit like going from XF 3.0 S portfolio into a new XF R sport - awful.
It's response and use I really didn't like and combined with the ride it was a pretty average experience and honestly if that was the only option I'd have never bough an fPace - if you use the engine and get used to it you can get a fair bit out of it and it's not a snail and for around town it's probably ok though not sure about the stop starting all the time.

The 3.0 D I drove was very nice and very suited for town and comes with a bag of performance if you want it. The SC is all that and a bit more with a lovely sound out the back if you like that. It's MPG won't compare but that's not an issue for me. If you own a 2.0 don't get in a 3.0 - you may resent going back :)

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
^ don't quite agree with that. I had the 2.0D in a loan XF and I was impressed with its get up and go. If pressed hard it was pleasingly sporty (although very noisy) just that I am a lazy driver and 3.0d suits "progress without drama" which I think is the essence of a Jag. If I'd wanted a 2.0d I would have gone for a Disco Sport.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
^ don't quite agree with that. I had the 2.0D in a loan XF and I was impressed with its get up and go. If pressed hard it was pleasingly sporty (although very noisy) just that I am a lazy driver and 3.0d suits "progress without drama" which I think is the essence of a Jag. If I'd wanted a 2.0d I would have gone for a Disco Sport.
I think it was the whole package for me and it was the previous XF not the 2016. The interior was a real let down, the engine was keen and had a fair bit of go but just felt a bit rough and it kept jumping up and down the gears and found that a bit annoying. After having a 3.0 and trying the 2.0 just found it a bit disappointing. Like you say it's got enough get up and go if you drive it.
I had a short go in the Fpace 2.0 and really hated thenslow reaction and immediate lack of response but again once your used to it you know to drive the thing differently - a petrol to diesel is always a change as well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Good luck at the dealers next week Carl, I sincerely hope that they can get your car into the sort of state that will make you a much more happy owner than you have been to date. Fingers and everything else crossed for you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.