Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, first post here.

I'm currently looking for a supercharged V6 S for my wife and wondering if there is a buying guide available?
If not, can you share some common things to check when we're looking round them please?

Minor point, but Autotrader suggested one was £180/year tax but another source said its £490. Was there a year they changed or is someone just plain wrong?

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
369 Posts
Tax changed April 2017 so if registered before this it be £490 if after then £180 but then you have £350 for 5 years based on list price

·
Registered
66 Posts
Mine was registered Dec ‘17 and tax is £490 a year. Only suggestion I would make on purchase is 22” wheels look great, but 20” will give you a better ride. I’m trading mine in at JLR York in a few weeks and picking up a new P400e, if you live near York, may be worth a look?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both.
20" wheels are my preference, we've had that size on both Range Rover Sport and Vogue years ago and actively avoided anything bigger. We live in the middle of Essex and have a mix of road surfaces where we will use it so pothole protection of taller tyres is essential.
I appreciate the offer to view yours Steve but, logistics aside, pano roof (opening or fixed) is on our list of must haves, along with grey (wife's no.1) or silver (mine) external colour and black pack.

·
Registered
124 Posts
If you get a good one you wont be disappointed. JLR don’t have the best quality control or reliability, not helped by very poor dealers.
Take a detailed look at the service history, my dealer tried very hard to not change air filters, spark plugs as per the service schedule.
Jaguar brake discs are very prone to corrosion and dealer prices are crazy, mine quoted £1500 for front and rear discs and pads.
There have been some complaints of worn suspension bushes.
Jaguar specify no maintenance for the Haldex Coupling, Borg Warner recommended a fluid change every 3 years. (May also be worth cleaning the mesh filter on the Haldex pump inlet)
Hope this helps, good luck with your search.
Mark

·
Registered
23 Posts
Spark plugs due at 5 year service on the s/c V6 so depending on age check that has been done. Expensive job at main dealer.

I've just bought mine and very pleased with it overall. The exhaust note is addictive. A couple of squeaks and rattles from the interior trim but so far it is more reliable than the XJ I had before, albeit less luxurious.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We drove a Supercharged 3.0 last weekend at a fairly local dealer. It wasn't quite the spec we were looking for but we felt we should compare it against a 3.0 diesel we also drove the same day, to see if petrol was definitely what we wanted.
I was VERY disappointed by it! Generally the car (67 plate) was nice although this particular one had been modified with a different exhaust and air filters. Loud droning noise aside (that I just couldn't live with if I'd bought it), the gearbox was incredibly slow to react. Gently gliding around it felt like it was in too high a gear and let the engine sit at 1000-1200rpm, meaning any quick squirt of the throttle didn't produce much usable grunt. Pressing harder meant it had to quickly try to change down about 3 gears before it then took off with the gusto I was expecting. It then revved like crazy before sluggishly changing up in order to repeat the process. Overall it felt more like a 90s german slushbox rather than a modern rapid-fire design.

Is this how they all are or did I drive a dud? The diesel certainly wasn't like it at all. The diesel was much more as expected and with the added torque benefit from low down, I feel it's the better buy for UK roads. All the power you're really ever going to need and with the same level of refinement.

Can any S/C owners comment please?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi roi345,
I don't know the V6 petrol, (as you see I have a 3.0 V6D), but did you try the car with the gearbox in "S" mode?
It doesn't make a big difference in the D, due to the massive low down torque available, but I suspect it would have a much bigger effect on the petrol engine performance.
The other aspect to consider of how you intend to use the car... if you do a lot of shorter runs, then Petrol would be the way to go as the diesels need a good run to keep the DPF's and EGR's free and clean.
Also, personally, I wouldn't want one that has been tarted up with mods as you describe without being properly re-mapped - Jag have done a good job getting these cars right off the shelf, so I would travel a bit further afield to try out a stock example?
I am sure someone with real life experience of the 3.0 V6 petrol will be along shortly to give some real-world advice...
Tim

·
Registered
44 Posts
I owned a 2017 model 3.0D S in 2016/17 until I rejected it for being badly built. The engine had plenty of torque and was quick enough for most driving. It was quiet and comfortable (20" rims). Driven gently, it returned 40 mpg. Apart from the build quality, I didn't like the faint engine vibration coming through the pedal box / driver's floor area at idle in Drive when stationary.

The replacement car was a 2018 model 3.0P S S/C. I'm still running it nearly five years later and have no reason to change it. There is less easily accessible torque but plenty of go when switching to 'Sport' and even more go when switching to 'Sport' and 'Dynamic'. It returns 31 mpg driven gently, but that plummets when pressing on (see other posts on this site re fuel consumption). It was far better built than its predecessor. It, too, is quiet and comfortable (20" rims). It has now done c. 35,000 miles.

The only modification I would make is to take 1" (or may be 2") out of the ride height. But I wouldn't want to firm up the ride.

I find the brake disks corrode quickly in wet weather unless used three or four times a week. The current car had the rear disks and pads replaced under warranty at the first service.

Summary: I don't miss the diesel. Hope this helps and wish you good motoring with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Pretty much describing petrol v diesel and will depend what you are used to and what you are looking for. V6 diesels are incredibly torquey and feel quick but do not have the noise of the petrol, and slower top end not that this matters in real world.

I went from a 3.0d XJ to the 3.0 V6 petrol F Pace because I wanted to get back into and enjoy a larger petrol engine while we still can.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the comments.
I suspect there was a problem with the particular car I drove as others would certainly have a particular comment about this. Sure diesel has more torque and the experience is different, but there is no way I could live with the way that S/C drove.
I've owned dozens of cars over the years with big/small engines, petrol/diesel, NA, S/C, turbo and I've never experienced something as awkward and cumbersome as that.

I haven't tested any of the variants in Sport mode and really it's not important to me on a big family car like these. If I want to go fast I have something designed to do that. I would like to drive another S/C before we make our final decisions but right now the lack of available cars for sale is forcing my hand anyway.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Do you think the petrols will hold their value more than the diesels? On the market at the moment, they are 10% higher priced.

I'm opting for petrol rather than diesel due to:
1) less of that diesel vibration and sound
2) petrol better for short journeys
3) can't afford the I-Pace at c. £50k!

·
Registered
762 Posts
The S/C is not a quiet car, quick but thirsty, 3.0D nearly as quick, quiet and much more economical. To keep the particulate filter clean you need one long journey ( 45mins) each week to get it hot enough. Both good cars, extended warranty essential.

Reactions: SuperXstyle

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had a 3.0D V6 XF-S which I traded for my current 3.0P V6 supercharged F-Pace S. So I'm familiar with both engines. The 3.0D has bags more low end torque and is much more fuel efficient. However, as I do many more local short journeys than long ones, and am also very familiar with the 5.0P V8 supercharged in my XKR, I wanted the petrol engine. They're both good engines. I'd had enough of diesel though and also wanted a "Sporty" car, so chose the petrol V6. At first, I was a little disappointed, it lacks the punch and low down grunt of the 5.0 V8, unsurprisingly, really! However, let it rev, and use these revs, and it's exactly what it's supposed to be, a sporty engine. The diesel, you don't need nor want to rev, the petrol, if you want a little fun, you do. The exhaust on the 3.0P F-Pace S isn't quiet either, it's higher pitched than the V8, let the engine rev, it'll show off why the car has an "S" badge.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks guys, good feedback.
With the 3L diesels, do you get that 'diesel sound'? It's more pronounced on the lower powered engines, and older ones.
Our 3L V6 D Range Rover is a 2010 and its OK, but just getting a bit annoying now.
This next car purchase is for my wife really (of course I'll drive it!) just don't want any complaints. I have a 911 for fun...

Apart from engines, looking at build quality for interior and general mechanics, engines etc...

·
Registered
762 Posts
As you’ve had a V6 D Range Rover you know what the engine sounds like, it’s the same engine as the FPace - lighter car, better handling, firmer ride. If you like the crackle and pop you get if you push the S/C and are not bothered by noisy cruising or fuel bills choose that.

If it’s mostly short journeys in town a petrol 2 litre is more suitable.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Are there any notable quality improvements over the years? I'm going to avoid the earlier years as I want the panoramic roof (ideally sliding but doesn't have to be) as well as the 10" InControl Pro and Digital Dash.

I note your previous advice @Deltasierra for a 2018 or 2019 model. I would rather buy newer too, I'm just looking around at spec and price points. As much as I've been trying to research as much as possible via different media, it's good to hear from you guys directly on improvements from year to year. It'll definitely be a 3L, in either petrol or diesel.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've only had the 275PS version of the 3.0D V6, I can imagine any lower versions will be more laboured, plus I fitted a diesel tuning box too, for approx 310PS and bags of additional torque.

Go for ICTP (10 inch screen) not ICT (8 inch screen with side buttons), ICT is no longer supported and the latest version of ICTP has Android/Apple Car Play. The later 2018MY cars also have better tech, such as 4G SIM support.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts