Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just completed a 5 mile journey and through the vents I could smell hot plastic when I pulled up at lights.

I've arrived home and it smells very hot in the engine bay. Like plastic on the edge of melting.

I can't see anything obvious but I'm concerned to drive it now.

Can anyone think what it might be?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Don't know if f pace has a dpf system on it, as it has scr (selective catalyst reduction via the injection of add blue (aus32) into th exhaust system, but if it has a dpf filter on it might be that in its burn cycle.I would check your hand book.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
302 Posts
Sounds like a call to Jag assistance....... Let them look after it and take responsibility!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,073 Posts
Another small reason I went petrol this time !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
Thought I'd resurrect this thread as I am 2,000 miles in and also get the occasional 'hot' smell. Sometimes I can smell it in the car (eg. if I pull up at traffic lights) and I can also smell it when I get out of the car. At first, I put it down to bedding in the new materials in the engine bay but it clearly isn't this as it is still doing it 2k miles in.

I'm not quite sure how to describe it as it is not quite 'hot plastic / hot rubber' but is similar and I only seem to notice it if I have been giving the engine some welly... engine temp remains stable, oil levels all good so not quite sure what it is.

There are some comments about DPF burn off etc but I have never noticed this on other diesel cars I've had (but then, I've never owned a V6 before either).

Any others out there experiencing the same? Or have any ideas before I reluctantly throw myself to the mercy of my local dealer?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,045 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,228 Posts
MyNameIsMatt said:
Thought I'd resurrect this thread as I am 2,000 miles in and also get the occasional 'hot' smell. Sometimes I can smell it in the car (eg. if I pull up at traffic lights) and I can also smell it when I get out of the car. At first, I put it down to bedding in the new materials in the engine bay but it clearly isn't this as it is still doing it 2k miles in.

I'm not quite sure how to describe it as it is not quite 'hot plastic / hot rubber' but is similar and I only seem to notice it if I have been giving the engine some welly... engine temp remains stable, oil levels all good so not quite sure what it is.

There are some comments about DPF burn off etc but I have never noticed this on other diesel cars I've had (but then, I've never owned a V6 before either).

Any others out there experiencing the same? Or have any ideas before I reluctantly throw myself to the mercy of my local dealer?
I'm at 1500 miles, same spec as you and I've not experienced this (yet)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Sounds very much like DPF burn-off to me - totally normal and nothing to worry about. If you happen to stop before the DPF burn has completed you may also notice a ticking as it cools down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,045 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
I'm at 1500 miles, same spec as you and I've not experienced this (yet)
It might be type of driving you do, mine is 95% short journeys, a killer for DPF, I try to give it a good thrashing whenever I get on open road, sport mode with gears held deliberately low to give engine a bit of a blast.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,228 Posts
RaVolVoR said:
JLRnumber5 said:
I'm at 1500 miles, same spec as you and I've not experienced this (yet)
It might be type of driving you do, mine is 95% short journeys, a killer for DPF, I try to give it a good thrashing whenever I get on open road, sport mode with gears held deliberately low to give engine a bit of a blast.
I'm all short journeys too ... 3 or 4 journeys a day all under 5 miles.

Had two 400 mile journeys to mix it up a bit .. and did a 20 min stretch of the motorway holding it in 4th gear / 3500 rpm (crying at the mpg!!!) having read suggestions on doing this for the DPF.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
Thanks for the comments & re-assurance, may be it is a DPF burn after all.... I'll mention it to the dealer when it goes in for it's ICTP upgrade next week (JOKING!) :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
So, coming back to this.... car went in yesterday for the various TOPIX jobs and I asked the dealer to check the burning smell as I only ever notice it after giving the car some welly and wanted some peace of mind. Turns out there is a leak coming from the front transfer box and they won't let me have the car back until it is fixed...

"When will that be?" I ask.

"Not sure" was the response.

"What exactly does a leaky front transfer box mean" I ask.

"Not sure" he says. Unbelievable.....

Good news is that the 2.5 upgrade was successful (so they tell me). Not that I was seeing (m)any issues with my ICTP but the dealer did say that the upgrade has 'killed' a couple of cars and they have had to keep them for a few weeks whilst JLR rebuild the system (whatever that means).

Anyway, if anyone is able to offer any advice on the leaky front transfer box and what to watch out for (worried about damage etc), it would be greatly appreciated as I do not trust my dealer one bit!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,711 Posts
Any petrol owners experienced a burning smell?

Parked up at the end of 1hr trip & got out to what smelt like oil on the exhaust used to... wasn't there at the end of return trip.

First long(ish) trip I've done, but clearly not DPF!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
corriescar66 said:
Any petrol owners experienced a burning smell?

Parked up at the end of 1hr trip & got out to what smelt like oil on the exhaust used to... wasn't there at the end of return trip.

First long(ish) trip I've done, but clearly not DPF!
For the first 1500 miles i regularly got a rather unpleasant burning oil smell through the vents inside the car. This has now gone, I would put it down to the car 'bedding in', I have had similar in previous new cars but no where as much as in this jag. However on 2300 miles now and it is no longer present.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top