Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys

Just read this!

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/hi-tech-car-theft-warning-drivers-m4-stations-154100317.html

My neighbour who is a joiner had his van broken in and all his tools stolen for the third time in six months. No evidence of break in from CCTV showed 3 men in black and hoodies at 0300 hours using a device to get into van. Our roads now have all street lights turned off between 1200-0500 to save money! :roll: :roll:

Hope none of you were at M4 services but be extra aware if leaving Xmas presents in car on Xmas journeys!

Take Care

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
^ precisely this happened to me a number of years ago. I was parking late at night in a car park and was approached by two people as I was getting out of the car asking about where they could pay the congestion charge (this was almost 1am on a Sunday morning). When I came back the following day my BMW M3 was broken into. I still had the key on me. It had been unlocked via a clone key.

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
In the Brighton area thieves were targeting Range Rover Evoque and Range Rover Sport using the same technology, only they took the car even when the owners had both keys,

·
Registered
73 Posts
So, do we wrap our car keys with a lead casing?

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
ScouseJag said:
Guys

Just read this!

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/hi-tech-car-theft-warning-drivers-m4-stations-154100317.html

My neighbour who is a joiner had his van broken in and all his tools stolen for the third time in six months. No evidence of break in from CCTV showed 3 men in black and hoodies at 0300 hours using a device to get into van. Our roads now have all street lights turned off between 1200-0500 to save money! :roll: :roll:

Hope none of you were at M4 services but be extra aware if leaving Xmas presents in car on Xmas journeys!

Take Care
I've heard of key cloning before but this one says they are somehow stopping the car locking. ?
Would you manually still see the mirrors go in as it locks ? Not heard of this but it's worth been vigil.
I do worry sometimes about the ability to intercept and utilise the data from the key though I know every manufacturer has tried to combat this in recent times. Not sure how they stack up now as haven't looked into it in a few years

·
Registered
73 Posts
I can understand how capturing a keyless entry remote would be easy to clone as the remote itself would be emitting a signal continually, I guess, but from a remote key that you have to press a button to emit the signal is a different matter. This feed got me thinking about security and I suppose going back to basics of a steering wheel lock seems a pain in the you know where I delved deeper for an alternative. I found this gadget which might give the thieves a bit of a headache.

http://obdblocker.com/about.php

here a video how its installed, got to 2 mins into the video to avoid a lot of ramble from he guy.

What I don't understand why the manufacturers haven't come up with this prevention themselves. The only time the port is used is by them, they could have the separate chip or something similar themselves?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
You have to understand that car theft has been getting more and more technical as the years have gone on, this is not. Ew news, you just have to be careful, very careful, if you park anywhere not known to you.

The other risk with keyless is that we get sloppy, check and double check it is locked and don't make yourself the easiest target in the car park.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts