Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, please excuse another newbie question but I am having a real dilemma over which transmission to get in my F-PACE.

Up to now my wife and I have only ever driven manual cars. We are possibly missing out on the convenience of an automatic for driving around London, but we really enjoy driving a manual especially on road trips at the weekend or when driving around the south of France. In particular when accelerating or driving hills or mountains I find it a strange feeling to have the car selecting gears by itself.

However, talking to Jaguar dealers it seems no one has a manual F-PACE available to test drive, and one dealer told me 90% of F-PACEs sold are automatic.

I am curious why automatic is so popular. I am aware I have never owned a modern/luxury automatic car, so maybe I'm missing out on the latest transmission technology.

Very keen to hear any insights or tips, particularly if anyone has driven both transmissions.

Thank you!

G

·
I'm driving a lot and facing a lot of traffic jam.
In this situation I don't need to use the clutch and it's so much better.
Also in an SUV even though the handling is great with the F-Pace, I'm calmer so I don't play with gears.
When I want to have fun I use the paddle shifters and it's faster than the manual gear.
Only thing is that sometimes I don't know in which gear I am and it's not as "automatic" in my head to shift gears using the shifters as with a manual gearstick.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just picked up my F Pace this week and it's my first Automatic.
They are really the best of both worlds to be honest. Easy, relaxing driving around town and in traffic, easy for cruising down motorways and dual-carriageways and if you want to drive it yourself, you can use the flappy paddles to change gear.

One of the features I really like with the F Pace is that in Sports Mode and Dynamic, the control of the gears is purely manual using the paddles. It will not change up for you. It also displays which gear you are using in a big friendly digital graphic. Very easy to get used to and great fun.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I had the same quandry when I went to 5 series's years ago. I was a manual diehard, but with traffic the way it is, and the way autos are so so much better than they were, allowing "manual" changes if you make a late night journey for example ;) they are a no brainier to my mind now.

Not sure if that helps but the general relaxed mode of autos is getting more and more relevant even if you like fast driving, which I do, never even considered the manual.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Ask to borrow an auto F-Pace for a weekend, the 8-speed box is one of the best around and as has been said, with the paddles you can still have fun driving.

You can also have factory cup holder covers (cheap at £55 from Jaguar, every other manufacturer would have included them) but you can't with these extras with the manual gearbox :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
41 Posts
The Jaguar automatic box is very good and I don't think that you will regret it. However, you may use the paddles for 2-8th, but I doubt you will use 1st very much. Normally you will let the car do that for you. Today's automatics are way better.

As we move towards 'green' cars with electric motors, the idea of a manual gearbox will be a thing of the past.

Test drive one before you buy though.

·
Registered
539 Posts
RSPORT27 said:
They are really the best of both worlds to be honest. Easy, relaxing driving around town and in traffic, easy for cruising down motorways and dual-carriageways and if you want to drive it yourself, you can use the flappy paddles to change gear.

One of the features I really like with the F Pace is that in Sports Mode and Dynamic, the control of the gears is purely manual using the paddles. It will not change up for you. It also displays which gear you are using in a big friendly digital graphic. Very easy to get used to and great fun.
Um, are you sure - Sport + Dynamic for me and everything is still automatic unless I choose to use the paddles....

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
SonicPace said:
RSPORT27 said:

Um, are you sure - Sport + Dynamic for me and everything is still automatic unless I choose to use the paddles....
Yep same for me, I use paddles and sport mode as a way to "clean DPF"... once in a while I drive a few miles in 2/3rd gears only let the engine rev a bit. No idea if the DPF likes it but its best option for town use and I never had any issues in previous diesel XF with DPF so hoping same theory applies. If I don't use sport mode then Normal mode changes gear up eventually. If I use sport and dynamic and no paddles, its still fully Auto, but once you use paddles then you have to hold right hand paddle for a few seconds to return to auto mode.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Go for the automatic as if the manual gearbox in the XE I tried on a Jaguar experience day is anything to go by it is HORRIBLE!!!

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
The ZF 8 speed auto has to be one of the best 'boxes in the business. As others have said really does give the best of both world and you are unlikely to miss a fully manual box with all the different modes.

I now instinctively use it when slowing rapidly before a roundabout to get some engine braking. Or going down a hill. It's very easy to switch between auto and manual (just flick the paddle) and back again (hold the paddle). The only real difference between S and D is that auto mode will re-engage in D when it decides you don't need manual any more whereas in S you have to tell it to go back to auto.

You can disable paddles in D if you want to but not sure why you would.

·
Super Moderator
1,953 Posts
Ah, the great manual versus auto debate! . . . well, if there's a trend to follow, I certainly like to buck it :lol:

I'm not going to even try and persuade anyone who likes the automatic to accept that a manual gearbox is worthy of consideration. Suffice to say, I L-O-V-E my manual F-Pace and I am so glad I wasn't put off by a completely lousy manual XE test drive experience I had 'cos no manual F-Paces were out there as demonstrators. Well this particular XE I tried was a total dog, the gear ratios and power seemed all wrong for some reason, and it nearly made me change my mind, but I am sooo glad I didn't let it sway me. I will admit it made me a little nervous while I was waiting for my F-Pace to arrive because I was having to hope and gamble on it being better . . . thankfully, it paid off, it is . . far better!!

As for playing with the flappy plastic paddles on an auto, I test drove three auto F-Paces and I can tell you it is nothing like as satisfying as reaching for a proper stick shift with your left hand! (...no laughing at the back please!) A good example would be when ascending a moderately steep twisting and turning country road, requiring changes up and down, you find you're moving the steering wheel around quite a lot and it becomes a complete faff having to try and find the paddles at the very moment when you want to change gear; they're no longer within fingertip reach because of where your hands are on the wheel!

Well, as I say, if you're into autos then you'll never accept anything "less", just stick it in D or S and drive (or perhaps doze off!), but if you actually like driving a manual, then you'll love driving the manual F-Pace.

So, as always, it's up to you; enjoy, whichever way you go.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Jeremy Clarkson has an opinion on most things in life and this is no exception (Top Gear magazine)...

And yet. It is still fitted with a manual gearbox. So was the brand-new Corvette I tested recently. And so are various Astons.

Don't you find this strange? We live in a world where the auto industry is capable of making cars that won't crash and will do 134mpg. And yet it is still making manual gearboxes. Which is a bit like living in a high-tech flat and using candles to find the loo.

Now I will admit that, when I'm at a track, I spit tacks and use bad words when a car refuses to engage the gear I've selected on its flappy-paddle system. I know why, of course; because if you ask for second when you are doing 70mph, you will blow the engine to smithereens. But it's my engine, and if I want to blow it up, then why should I be prevented by an electronic nanny?

It's much better to have a manual when you are driving on a track for fun. Because then you are in charge and you have more control. But at all other times, a car with a manual gearbox is like a television with no remote control. A damn nuisance.

Speed is one thing. A while back, Richard Hammond and I had a bit of a drag race - with police permission, I should add, in case the Daily Mail is reading this - on a Romanian motorway. He was in a Ferrari California with a double-clutch flappy-paddle gearbox. I was in an Aston Martin DBS with manual. Both cars accelerated at exactly the same rate, but every time I changed gear, I would drop back about 10 feet. His changes were seamless. Mine weren't. Mine couldn't be.

Then there's traffic. It's always bad to be caught up in a slow-moving jam, but when I am in a car with a manual 'box, I am tempted sometimes to get out and kill myself. Because constantly balancing the clutch pedal is wearisome and painful. It's like being in a gym. And nobody in their right mind would choose to visit one of those.

Country roads? Town? Car parks? I can think of no place in the real world when a manual gearbox is better than a modern paddle-operated manual or a smooth-shifting auto. And yet, in cheaper cars, there seems to be no appetite to make a change.

Money is one reason, of course: double-clutch systems are expensive. But so is fuel injection. And that's never cited as a reason by anyone for launching a car these days with twin-choke Webers.

Flappy-paddle 'boxes were lamentable when they first came out. They were jerky and imprecise, and you could never parallel park on a hill. But now they are smooth and there's some inbuilt creep, and they are wondrous. And so surely, it is time to wave goodbye to the manual.

Oh, I know there will be some snuffly noses and damp handkerchiefs from the purists. But look at it this way: when we are all driving hybrid cars that can find their way around by themselves and sipping fuel in the same way that a vicar sips his tea at an old lady's funeral, there's nothing to stop people who crave the past driving a big V8 with a manual 'box and a longwave radio.

In the same way that today the horse is completely useless. You can't even eat it. But the countryside is full every weekend with people using them just for fun.

Says it all really. Automatic for me, when it's as good as the ZF auto box on the F-Pace.

Arianne

·
Registered
247 Posts
My first auto as well (nearly first diesel as well, but that's another story) on my 3l petrol and no regrets at all. If I want to give it more revs than the box wants to, I just use the paddles and go up and down that way.
Really good ZF box so I don't believe you'd be disappointed. Best to demo both of course , if you can find a manual...
Good luck either way.

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
All I would add is I was a Manual Gearbox all the way until I drove a modern automatic car, go test drive an automatic, your never go back to manual and as stated you can use the paddles if you miss having some fun and changing gears yourself.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I test drive both diesels, went for the 3.0 and quite liked the auto box (first one I will have owned). However, if I had gone for the 2.0 then I thin I might have preferred the manual. Maybe it's that I'm not yet fully used to an auto - especially using paddles, but I think it would just suit the 2.0 better.

By the way Arianne, I have come to see you as the wise owl of the forum - one whose reasoned arguments tend to make the rest look a bit like a bunch of squabbling toddlers. However, you have just qualified an argument by quoting Jeremy Clarkson.

Jeremy Clarkson..... :shock:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Bonkers said:
I test drive both diesels, went for the 3.0 and quite liked the auto box (first one I will have owned). However, if I had gone for the 2.0 then I thin I might have preferred the manual. Maybe it's that I'm not yet fully used to an auto - especially using paddles, but I think it would just suit the 2.0 better.

By the way Arianne, I have come to see you as the wise owl of the forum - one whose reasoned arguments tend to make the rest look a bit like a bunch of squabbling toddlers. However, you have just qualified an argument by quoting Jeremy Clarkson.

.......Clarkson, the subject of a whole new thread. But let's not go there.

Have a nice evening people. Will Celtic play five across the back tonight against Manchester City? Will it work? Tonight we are going to find out...

Best wishes,

Arianne

·
Registered
922 Posts
For the< 10% manual owners I will try along with cat woman to defend our position!! I will not even try to find fault with the ZF box because it is one the best currently on sale...even though some instances of problems have been reported on the forum. I have always enjoyed the extra mechanical link I feel when driving a manual... Kind of hard to describe it other than just being more involved in the experience, yes you can use paddles and other manufactures use the tiptronic variant that still use a stick of sorts..... BUT... it ain't the same, maybe it's the the 17 year old (50) Capri driver in me still :roll:
As usual....my advise is test drive, however I think manual demos are only probably going to be at the big dealers where fleet managers know that co2 is king...so maybe worth a punt there. Autos have there place of course.... Traffic cues and more relaxed cruising.
I know with many things change is on the way with hybrids and full ev cars so a manual will not be offered at all in a few years :cry: If Jaguar sell so many autos then why offer a manual..... Yes of course it is ....EXTRA MONEY!! :eek:
Maybe that's the Scot in me that rebels against the change that's coming , but more likely Mrs cats version that I am to thight to pay for an auto :lol: :lol: when I can spend it wheels ;)
This debate will never be settled just like the best colour being Ammonite :lol:

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
Arianne said:
Bonkers said:

.......Clarkson, the subject of a whole new thread. But let's not go there.

Have a nice evening people. Will Celtic play five across the back tonight against Manchester City? Will it work? Tonight we are going to find out...

Best wishes,

Arianne
will it be 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 nil to man city is more the question.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.