Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone has used their parking brake switch? on my car it automatically comes on and releases, is there an occasion when it is needed.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Yes always put it on now out of habit. Can leave it using the park gear to hold but better for the car I think to have the main brake holding it

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
^ the EPB comes on anyway in park Badger. Your pulling the lever isn't doing anything other than making you feel better!
Makes sense.
Mind you I've felt it rolling forward onto the gear brake position so often engage it as I've parked. Habit from my old XF days where I intally never ever use daily.

So what's the point of it then and does it always engage immediately on park
It auto disengages upon acceleration in drive.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Of course I would,have also used it on inclines etc but the car automatically deals with that as well.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Mbadger77 said:
JLRnumber5 said:
^ the EPB comes on anyway in park Badger. Your pulling the lever isn't doing anything other than making you feel better!
Makes sense.
Mind you I've felt it rolling forward onto the gear brake position so often engage it as I've parked. Habit from my old XF days where I intally never ever use daily.

So what's the point of it then and does it always engage immediately on park
It auto disengages upon acceleration in drive.
Yup.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have twice consciously applied the PB and found that when I selected R it would not auto release as in when the accelerator pedal is pressed with the car straining against the brake. I've check the book but it make now mention.

Art

·
Registered
577 Posts
When in a traffic line. Instead of having my foot on the brake for several minutes (auto box) I put the auto hand brake on. This way you have no stop lights shining in the persons face behind you.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
DPE said:
When in a traffic line. Instead of having my foot on the brake for several minutes (auto box) I put the auto hand brake on. This way you have no stop lights shining in the persons face behind you.
Never thought of that. I'll give it a go

·
Registered
453 Posts
Mbadger77 said:
DPE said:
Never thought of that. I'll give it a go
Yes i do same but put the car in to neutral just prevent car inadvertently moving from tick over power

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
JLRnumber5 said:
Thanks CW that was messing with my limited brain function. Big jon needs a slap!
SORRY :lol:

·
Registered
26 Posts
My wife's Golf VII has a button that always allows the EPB to be deployed when the car comes to a standstill, this activates stop/start also and alleviates the need to keep one's foot on the brake pedal. So when at a red traffic light, when it turns green you just accelerate and off you go thereby not having annoyed the car behind with glaring brake lights and the engine not emitting exhaust fumes.

As far as I can figure out, the F-Pace (MY2018) can't do this or am I missing something?

·
Registered
44 Posts
My sister's VW Golf had this feature also
My brother's Mercedes, C Class has a feature where if you double press that on the brake, it hold the car in place and you just need to accelerate (pretty much the same as the Golf)

Again my MY18 f-pace doesn't have this feature as far as I believe/searched, :(

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I normally just put the handbrake on as you would a normal car and then take my foot off the brake. Putting the handbrake on activates hill start assist so, stop start is cancelled (if you have it on) so that the vehicle doesn't roll back before the engine and gearbox engages. Not the same function as you describe but can't say I have really missed it. My previous Audi A6 was very similar but I these new features are being added all the time. Personally I would rather have the looks and drive of my car any day over a C class or Golf. I have had a few Golf's including a VR6 back in the day with a V6 2.8 litre petrol engine but I think my F Pace is quicker, a better drive and more suited to my needs these days. It's also drop dead gorgeous :lol:

·
Registered
182 Posts
If I am at at a 4 way traffic light or a longer delay at road works, I always select neutral & apply the parking brake to give the drive train a rest. As 47jag has said, I find that if you select R reverse & then D it seems that you have to manually turn off the parking brake as you can feel some resistance (it may automatically disengage?) :cool:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts