Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone has used their parking brake switch? on my car it automatically comes on and releases, is there an occasion when it is needed.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
big jon said:
I was just wondering if anyone has used their parking brake switch? on my car it automatically comes on and releases, is there an occasion when it is needed.
Yes I sometimes park on a hill and it hangs on for dear life!! It will eventually let go under throttle but it's much smoother to release manually.

·
Super Moderator
1,953 Posts
Perhaps, because mine is a manual transmission, I just use it all the time as a matter of habit, just like the 'old fashioned' hand brake . . I always press it to release when starting off, and lift it to engage it when parking . . have to admit, I've never even really thought about the fact that the car will engage and disengage it automatically for me, old habits die hard I guess . . lol . :oops:

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Interestingly I never used it in the Evoque. Not once in 4.5 years. However the FP seems a little more stubborn to let go in certain circumstances. I've also never put the gearbox into Park since it does that itself too.

I wonder what else .... oh headlights .. they figure themselves out. Wish I could say the same for the wipers. Always over-zealous or dim witted.

G

·
I use mine at lights when I know I might be there for a while, I stick it in Neutral and then on the handbrake. stops me blinding the people behind, and they can then look at the nice rear of the car :)

·
Registered
922 Posts
Also engages automatically when you switch the car off and you have not used the handbrake switch.... or forgot !!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,953 Posts
. . . of course the other reason/excuse I have, is all the hills around here . . . don't want my FP suddenly rolling away unexpectedly :lol:

I also had a manual Evoque, did the same thing on that, now I think about it

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I tend to release the handbrake as a matter of financial caution. Previous XF had the same sort of system but they only release once you start to move, this causes extra wear. On the XF after 3 years and just 16,000 miles I needed new rear brake pads, so £220 later the brakes were sorted. Now to avoid this, I try to remember to release the handbrake before moving. I have never had a car with auto handbrake before and also never had rear brakes wear out before front...

F-Pace could be different, but prevention is the motto, could be wrong but I'll use experience every time!

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
^ I'm 95% sure that on the flat the EPB is released as you move out of P. So I really do think your switch pulling is doing nothing. The car has already done it for you! Could be wrong but that's how the Evoque worked.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
But if you're on a hill, then you'd roll one way or another? I understood it was motion sensitive. Never mind, give it a couple of years and we'll find out, it's not that major I was just miffed at paying for new rear brakes!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.