37th - Mercedes GLC
39th - Maserati Levante
53rd - Mercedes GLC Coupe
59th - BMW X5
65th - Lexus NX
81st - BMW X4
84th - BMW X6
85th - Mercedes GLE Coupe

Good call. Or as AutoExpress say "Jaguar have delivered the F-pace to the top of the SUV tree"

Arianne

·
Super Moderator
5,032 Posts
I guess reliability and problem free was not part of this lists requirement as I am sure it would not be number 1 if it was.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jagfpacejk said:
I guess reliability and problem free was not part of this lists requirement as I am sure it would not be number 1 if it was.
Those faulty EGR cooler valves on the Volvo XC90 haven't had much media attention either outside the Volvo owners' forum. Still came in at No.3

As an aside, sat behind a Merc GLC 220d yesterday morning. Noticed that the exhaust condensation was only emerging from the N/S at the rear. And then, as I drew closer in the queue I spotted that the GLC has faux twin exhaust designed into the rear bumper but that the real exhaust outlet is tucked away out of sight. Last time I saw this it was on a Citroen DS. Hmm!

Anyway, she is No.1 and i have filed it away for the day I sell her privately in a few years time.

Arianne

·
Registered
118 Posts
Give it 6 months and it will be getting slated and at the bottom if they don't sort things out
Best looking suv and best I've driven even in 2ltr version( had x5 ,ml350 and Range Rover sport all 3 ltr ). But quality finish is lacking big style

·
Super Moderator
1,953 Posts
Ro66ter said:
. . . quality finish is lacking big style
You say that, Ro66ter, and please don't think I'm having a go at you personally, I'm not, yet I regularly find myself wondering if we are even sitting in the same vehicle when I read of people on the forum complaining about the cabin interior finish! I don't know what a "big style" enough quality finish would look like for you, but I have never once yet sat inside my FP and thought anything like, "hmm, finish not good enough here, bit too much plastic there" . . . to my way of thinking, the FP is finished to a standard that is both highly practical and very aesthetically pleasing, in fact rather beautiful, which is actually not an easy balance to achieve without tipping too far one way or the other. It's very subjective, but for my lifestyle I think it represents the best blend of design form and function, both inside and out, for it's price bracket. But I guess I'm speaking in the context of being someone who has come from driving a long line of 'cheaper' cars, all of which I have loved and appreciated in their own way and for their own reasons. I'm always rather sorry to part with my 'old' car when I buy a new one. My last car was an Evoque, which I loved. I can happily say this though, the F-Pace is the most beautiful car I, personally, have ever owned. For what it's worth, I don't actually care one jot what AutoCar or AutoExpress, or whoever, think of the car, or where they rank it in their 'best of' league tables, top or bottom, I take all that promo stuff with a proverbial pinch of salt, they only want a 'hook' on which to sell their magazines. In the end all that matters to me is what I think; me, myself, I. And I certainly don't care what the next owner of my car will think, either, I've never bought a car yet with 'them' in mind. But hey, we're all entitled to our own opinions aren't we, I guess I'm just somehow lucky 'cos I'm satisfied with the F-Pace and appreciate it for what it is, not what I imagine it should be, compared to something else.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
I agree with catwoman ... compared to the £50k Discovery Sport I am currently driving the F Pace feels like a Bentley!

I think it does depend how you spec it. It's absolutely bang-on in my view as a £40k-£45k reasonably specced car. The problem starts when you go for an S model and start adding options. Now as you head up towards the £60k mark or more you need to be careful. I think the ICTP Pro raises the cabin feel dramatically, as does the red/jet leather and a panoramic sunroof. Yes, at £60k-£65k you get better quality plastics in a BMW, Porsche, Merc or Audi but I don't think they do 'style' as well. So of course that's just personal taste. Ya pays ya money .. as they say.

To be honest I think it's quite practical that the lower plastics are hard and scratchy .. means I don't worry about scuffing them and giving them a good scrub. Has been the same in all my JLR cars. Even my £80k XKR had some dubious plastics dotted about.

Now - the big question! Do I think the FP is the number one SUV on the market. Well currently no. I am very hopefully however that when I get my car back next week and it's problem free I will change my mind. At the moment however, being on week 4 in the 'shop' out of 9 weeks ownership prevents it from being number 1 by anyone's measurement. That accolade has to still go to my 2006 RRS SC 1st Edition ... Boy I loved that car.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I also agree, the finish in mine is roughly what I would expect for a motor starting at a mid thirties price tag.... it's not quite the standard of my RRSport but then again it's starting price is £20K more.

OK the door cappings could be made of softer material but everything you actually touch everyday is spot on IMO.

·
Registered
118 Posts
catwoman said:
Ro66ter said:
. . . quality finish is lacking big style
You say that, Ro66ter, and please don't think I'm having a go at you personally, I'm not, yet I regularly find myself wondering if we are even sitting in the same vehicle when I read of people on the forum complaining about the cabin interior finish! I don't know what a "big style" enough quality finish would look like for you, but I have never once yet sat inside my FP and thought anything like, "hmm, finish not good enough here, bit too much plastic there" . . . to my way of thinking, the FP is finished to a standard that is both highly practical and very aesthetically pleasing, in fact rather beautiful, which is actually not an easy balance to achieve without tipping too far one way or the other. It's very subjective, but for my lifestyle I think it represents the best blend of design form and function, both inside and out, for it's price bracket. But I guess I'm speaking in the context of being someone who has come from driving a long line of 'cheaper' cars, all of which I have loved and appreciated in their own way and for their own reasons. I'm always rather sorry to part with my 'old' car when I buy a new one. My last car was an Evoque, which I loved. I can happily say this though, the F-Pace is the most beautiful car I, personally, have ever owned. For what it's worth, I don't actually care one jot what AutoCar or AutoExpress, or whoever, think of the car, or where they rank it in their 'best of' league tables, top or bottom, I take all that promo stuff with a proverbial pinch of salt, they only want a 'hook' on which to sell their magazines. In the end all that matters to me is what I think; me, myself, I. And I certainly don't care what the next owner of my car will think, either, I've never bought a car yet with 'them' in mind. But hey, we're all entitled to our own opinions aren't we, I guess I'm just somehow lucky 'cos I'm satisfied with the F-Pace and appreciate it for what it is, not what I imagine it should be, compared to something else.
Would totally agree with you it's a nice place to sit and it is nice inside you can make your own mind up if it's nice enough for you before you buy it
My issues are with how it's put together not what it's made of as some of my previous pictures explain

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I have same or very similar interior colour as the thread (http://www.fpaceforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1730) where the leather is worn away, but at 5 months of use, I can say its almost brand new looking and I am certainly well above average size/weight and the seat/leather is not wearing at all!

I love the interior of my Portfolio and for that matter the IRR exterior colour. Yes I had slight nose panel / bonnet miss-alignment but dealer fixed it first time. I have some ICTP issues and the horizontal suspension discomfort (being looked at next Thursday). Only gripe is windscreen washers - crazy stupid issue but again it will get fixed!

I'm not convinced the quality matches the price but equally when I sit in my friend's cars (VW's, Citroens, Vauxhalls and Merc's) I think I've got the best of the lot as a package, so I consider myself fortunate. I would warn potential buyers to research their purchase thoroughly, even to the point of looking at the second hand offerings first and getting at least a weekend test drive. As an early buyer (got the first non FE at my dealer) I didn't have that luxury but the F-Pace package was exactly what I was looking for, performance, comfort (except the ride issue which will get fixed) and definitely appeal.

I think Autoexpress are a little UK biased but so what, car magazines in other countries probably do the same. Its all subjective anyway!

·
Registered
948 Posts
RaVolVoR said:
I have same or very similar interior colour as the thread (http://www.fpaceforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1730) where the leather is worn away, but at 5 months of use, I can say its almost brand new looking and I am certainly well above average size/weight and the seat/leather is not wearing at all!

I love the interior of my Portfolio and for that matter the IRR exterior colour. Yes I had slight nose panel / bonnet miss-alignment but dealer fixed it first time. I have some ICTP issues and the horizontal suspension discomfort (being looked at next Thursday). Only gripe is windscreen washers - crazy stupid issue but again it will get fixed!

I'm not convinced the quality matches the price but equally when I sit in my friend's cars (VW's, Citroens, Vauxhalls and Merc's) I think I've got the best of the lot as a package, so I consider myself fortunate. I would warn potential buyers to research their purchase thoroughly, even to the point of looking at the second hand offerings first and getting at least a weekend test drive. As an early buyer (got the first non FE at my dealer) I didn't have that luxury but the F-Pace package was exactly what I was looking for, performance, comfort (except the ride issue which will get fixed) and definitely appeal.

I think Autoexpress are a little UK biased but so what, car magazines in other countries probably do the same. Its all subjective anyway!
Would need to hunt through an old hard drive but my M3 was way worse than that after 6 weeks, one of the many reasons I took a huge lose to get shot of it. In my case it was piss poor leather but more often than not it's either a comb or button on a hip pocket that causes this.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I have spent 6 hours in the car today, 250 miles and I have to say, I agree with Auto Express. Both clients I saw commented on how good looking it was, and one is considering swapping in his Q7 to an FP as the Audi is so bland (and he also has a Bentley).

My ITCP really lifts the cabin, alongside my opening pano, and red leather. What I did do today was remote start the car this morning, enjoyed opening the roof when the sun was out, enjoyed the ITCP for impeccable sat nav, eco data, music, couple of cheeky 3 litre manual moments for overtaking, I talked on the phone, and had horrific weather but felt safe. 41mpg for the day

I cannot see the microphone/temperature hole in the dash that people go on about, nor am I bothered about the manual steering column adjustment button that people obsess about. So the lower doors are plastic, so what? I didn't look at them once in my whole journey.

Every now and again my USB doesn't connect - it doesn't kill me though...

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Have to say I'm slightly surprised.

The f pace is a very good car and looks good. It also has decent performance so is bang there near the top but are all th rest really not that great ? I'm not blown away with the F Pace but if it's genuinely better than all the others i, glad I didn't look at anything else.

Comfort, ride all the problems don't make it an enjoyable town car. It's great on the open road which it was built for.
I

·
Super Moderator
5,032 Posts
Mbadger77 said:
Have to say I'm slightly surprised.

The f pace is a very good car and looks good. It also has decent performance so is bang there near the top but are all th rest really not that great ? I'm not blown away with the F Pace but if it's genuinely better than all the others i, glad I didn't look at anything else.

Comfort, ride all the problems don't make it an enjoyable town car. It's great on the open road which it was built for.
I
Agree and when you also factor in the costs against others you would have thought others would appear higher then the Fpace.

I guess its all about perception and what people think they are getting and not getting and what the reviewers get as cars, i bet before they are handed over they are checked with a fine tooth comb to make sure all the panels and issues ect ect are spot on.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Also interesting that there are 3 JLR products in the top ten

·
Registered
441 Posts
Jagfpacejk said:
Well said.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.