Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of months ago Apple Carplay was listed on the Jaguar.co.uk website as coming soon.

I have checked the site a few times lately and all mention of it seems to have disappeared.

Does anyone have any idea if it has been pulled due to the ICTP issues?

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
Habxxx said:
A couple of months ago Apple Carplay was listed on the Jaguar.co.uk website as coming soon.

I have checked the site a few times lately and all mention of it seems to have disappeared.

Does anyone have any idea if it has been pulled due to the ICTP issues?
I would say 100% its due to them trying to resolve issues before adding anything that may cause more issues, rather have 100% ITCP before more apps are added that could cause even more issues.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I also feels its a little odd them offering car play when they have ICTP and seem to be heavily involved in the open platform and its development.

I've not used Car Play before, but my understanding was it would be car play or ICTP as the infotainment platform and no option to switch between the two.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The way it read on the website was that it would be part of ICTP and was listed as coming soon.

Very strange that there is now no mention of it on the Jag website.

I wonder if It has been removed until ICTP is more stable as Apple would not want to be associated with a flawed system bearing in mind it is currently being updated or enhanced as Jaguar put it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have to say that I live my F Pace to drive but the infotainment sat nav voice operation is well below oar. It us just not intuitive and sat nav and voice control poor. Apps are rubbish.

Why JLR didn't go straight for Apple Car play I do not understand

Apple will have many more developers in this technology than JLR so why not let them do it?

If I had known how poor it would be with the tech I seriously would have had second thoughts even though the car is brilliant

Any news on when Carplay coming to the French Pace?

·
Registered
205 Posts
No - he just used the Jag voice command system to write it - sry :lol:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Been to Solihull today to see the Velar (great car). Whilst there I asked the chap giving the talk about the Velar about Apple Carplay and how it was mentioned on the Jag website in January but disappeared soon after.

He said it will happen in about 9 months due to licensing issues and should be backwards compatible with all Ictp systems.

Good news

·
Registered
138 Posts
Backwards compatible? That's great! One thing I definitely miss not having on mine

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
Habxxx said:
Been to Solihull today to see the Velar (great car). Whilst there I asked the chap giving the talk about the Velar about Apple Carplay and how it was mentioned on the Jag website in January but disappeared soon after.

He said it will happen in about 9 months due to licensing issues and should be backwards compatible with all Ictp systems.

Good news
Or more to the fact sorting out existing issues rather then adding more, i do not get adding more apps to a system that currently is flaky, it just adds more chance of a system being even more flaky, personally i would rather have a solid system then a load of extra apps, once the system is 100% then thats a different story.

Sorry.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Birthwaite said:
No - he just used the Jag voice command system to write it - sry :lol:
Now what have I told you about posting all this negative stuff Bw..... :lol:

·
Registered
441 Posts
keithewilson said:
I have to say that I live my F Pace to drive but the infotainment sat nav voice operation is well below oar. It us just not intuitive and sat nav and voice control poor. Apps are rubbish.

Why JLR didn't go straight for Apple Car play I do not understand

Apple will have many more developers in this technology than JLR so why not let them do it?

If I had known how poor it would be with the tech I seriously would have had second thoughts even though the car is brilliant

Any news on when Carplay coming to the French Pace?
French Pace huh Keith? So that's what the F stands for - thanks goodness for that as I'd thought it was something far more offensive (which would definitely be below oar....) :mrgreen:

·
Registered
12 Posts
sorry to resurrect an old thread, but has anybody heard the rumours of Carplay coming mid-September?
I saw on an XE forum that someone had seen an F-Pace at Goodwood with Apple Carplay and Android Auto buttons on the ICTP display. Further in the thread someone posted about an Android press release saying it will come mid September. There was speculation that it would coincide with iOS12 and its Carplay advances.
I just wondered if anyone had any more info on this....

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
CRC on twitter are actively saying it's in development for the past couple of months.
Not sure if it will be retrospect or not though.

A quick google also shows IOS 11 /12 on iphoneX having drop outs in cars ...so maybe we can't escape that one 🙄

ios 12 out in beta testing apparently.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Having not seen Apple car play I can't say how good or bad it is and as an iPhone user it's not a problem for me but Apple still only have around 20% of the market for smart phones so any manufacturer only offering Apple car play are shooting themselves in the foot. I like Apple products in general being a Mac user as well, but giving them any control over my car worries me in the same way as getting into a loan Fiat 500 in Italy and seeing a Microsoft logo on the steering wheel did.
Most of the Software manufactures release strategy is to get releases out as fast as possible knowing there can be issues with their software. They do not test it with other applications only with their own major ones so until release they never know if there are, putting that sort of attitude into a car worries me greatly and I am still vary wary of any software control in cars even if it is just the distraction of infotainment.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I appreciate your position on that Reggraham but for me I think Carplay would be better than InControl for two reasons 1) because Waze is coming to Carplay on iOS12, and 2) because InControl refuses to connect my iPhone X.

Regarding retrospective installation, the XE forum said that it will be available for all cars released from 2016 with ICTPro. It also said that OTA updates should be operational very soon, but I'll believe that when I see it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
June16 - who are CRC?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
jimbohotpants said:
June16 - who are CRC?
Customer relations centre

The issues with connecting through USB to incontrol don't affect everyone on IPhone X.
So it may well be the phone configuration or car hardware .

Over on the Fpace USA forum and on Discovery forums ( all have. The same ICTP) there are others with this same issue . Of those with the USB issue some report no drop outs on IOS 10 only started when they moved to IOS11.

It may well be an issue outside ICTP , otherwise it would affect everyone ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks june16. I'll get into the local dealer tomorrow, since a colleague who has an XF got his ICTP upgraded to "4.1" last week and now has CarPlay and android auto! Quite fancy a bit of CarPlay as I mentioned earlier!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
jimbohotpants said:
Thanks june16. I'll get into the local dealer tomorrow, since a colleague who has an XF got his ICTP upgraded to "4.1" last week and now has CarPlay and android auto! Quite fancy a bit of CarPlay as I mentioned earlier!
Yep the version youbwant is listed here on the ICTP phase 4 thread.
A caveat is though that there are plenty of folks having car play usb drop outs on line too 🙄

https://www.fpaceforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4002&start=220#p56127

1 - 20 of 186 Posts