Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This week I attempted to buy a new F Pace HSE part exchanging my faithful XF Portfolio with fully loaded extras. The first dealer in East Yorkshire did not even look at my car, just looked on his laptop, "consulted his manager" and gave me a derisory offer. This offer was £6000 under more basic cars showing on Autotrader. I explained to the salesman my car was bought from his dealership from new, serviced by them throughout and had several hundreds of pounds of accessories bought from them. He just shrugged his shoulders and I walked out in disgust.
On to second dealership 30 miles further North. This time the salesman actually took details of my px and took a couple of exterior photos. When I mentioned I was a JLR Privilege customer, he remarked he didn't think we could do business because there was not enough profit in it for them. He however assured me he would talk to his boss and get back to me. Three days later no response.
My faith in JLR is at a low and I will now consider BMW, Mercedes and others for my business.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Our local dealer is like that, there are plenty of others, with delivery times so long it’s hard to arrange anything with certainty. WBAC or other online S/H buyers will give a realistic value for your XF, then order new from another dealer.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Had a similar experience at Nottingham Jaguar over the New Year period. Offered me 24k for my 19 Plate F-Pace. Closest spec to mine on Jaguar approved but with 10k more miles was on at 31k. Offered an extra £500 against a brand new 56k F-Type with no discount on that. Basically refused me a test drive as I didn’t like their “offer”

·
Registered
63 Posts
Had a similar experience at Nottingham Jaguar over the New Year period. Offered me 24k for my 19 Plate F-Pace. Closest spec to mine on Jaguar approved but with 10k more miles was on at 31k. Offered an extra £500 against a brand new 56k F-Type with no discount on that. Basically refused me a test drive as I didn’t like their “offer”
Used cars via dealers attract VAT, so you can’t compare trade in versus sale price. I used Carwow website to get best price before I ordered, always found dealers prepared to price match.

Reactions: LearnerDriver

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
Try all the compare sites, there are now many and then see what they will offer, most will match or beat these offers.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Used cars via dealers attract VAT, so you can’t compare trade in versus sale price. I used Carwow website to get best price before I ordered, always found dealers prepared to price match.
Pretty sure they only attract VAT on the profit which shouldn’t account for the vast difference. Also they didn’t want to discuss price from Autoebid that I had. Basically said use them if you want.

·
Registered
359 Posts
That’s why they call them stealers lol . How they treated you really is bad to say the least , last year I was going to swap my m4 for a McLaren 570 spider it was worth £38k on wbac the dealer offered me £33k I just told them shove it . Why they can’t give a few quid more to save a lot of hassle is beyond me . A year later my car is up £3k from then a similar McLaren is up £15k they need us more than we need them shop around bmw are worse, this week I enquired about a McLaren they had on for £118 k wbac offered me £94k for it that’s £24 k profit on what they probably paid for it but they still take the p*** and couldn’t match Evans hallshaws £41k for mine
Rant over

·
Registered
86 Posts
That’s why they call them stealers lol . How they treated you really is bad to say the least , last year I was going to swap my m4 for a McLaren 570 spider it was worth £38k on wbac the dealer offered me £33k I just told them shove it . Why they can’t give a few quid more to save a lot of hassle is beyond me . A year later my car is up £3k from then a similar McLaren is up £15k they need us more than we need them shop around bmw are worse, this week I enquired about a McLaren they had on for £118 k wbac offered me £94k for it that’s £24 k profit on what they probably paid for it but they still take the p*** and couldn’t match Evans hallshaws £41k for mine
Rant over
Glad it’s not just me then.

Looked at an F-Type second hand at Stockport Jaguar, on at 45k which I thought was a bit high but then prices on second hand are inflated at the moment. As a price check I put the details into WBAC and they would have offered me 34k. Can’t prove anything but stinks of market manipulation by the big players to me.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I read somewhere that WBAC is owned by British Car Auctions, is this correct?
The VAT the dealer pays is on the margin between [purchase price + preparation + any warranty cost] and selling price.

Anyone can buy at auction price ( in theory) but you take all the risk “as seen and described”I’ve bought several but not JLR products.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yep, WBAC are owned by BCA.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I have had a couple of cars accessed by WBAC one satisfactory, one more than expected, it does make for a cleaner deal when buying new. Most tradeins do end up at auction anyway, dealers only keep a selected few for retail

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jaguar dealer just phoned saying all JLR Privilege Scheme discounts have been pulled. So there goes £60000 worth of business from myself.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update, contacted JLR Privilege directly and they confirmed Scheme is up and running and dealer is talking nonsense. Now do I go for new F Pace, Audi Q5, or Lexus???

·
Registered
Waiting on MY22 R-Dynamic HSE D300, ordered mid-Dec '21, now due "end of June"
149 Posts
Hi all, new member to the forum and just seen this thread so thought I'd share my experience. I've owned many different marques over the years, most recently a couple of newish BMWs in succession, and while my dad has run a Jaguar before this will be my first!

Anyway I had a 2016 M4 with only 12K miles and decided I wanted something more practical (and more comfortable!). With my BMW PCP was nearing its end and knowing that lead times are extended (to say the least), decided to start looking around. After shortlisting and test driving a few cars, I eventually narrowed in on the F-Pace.

I intially visited the dealer in Guildford, which was a bit of an odd experience. The guy I spoke to was friendly, but the dealership itself felt like a ghost town, I visited on two occasions and on both it was virtually deserted and felt like it was closing down! Anyway, on the second occasion I took my wife with me and we had a test drive, on our return we sat down to talk turkey.

To my amazement, after disussing specs (I'd already configured a car on the Jag website), he literally went on the website put in my configuration and then pointed to the price. I'd already told him I'd had prices through CarWow and when he basically said 'yeah we don't deal with them and we're not going to offer a discount'. It seemed like he expected me to accept that and just hand over a £1000 deposit to place an order, not only that but he gave me a slightly low-ball figure on my M4. I told him politely I'd 'think about it' and get back to him.

Fast forward to the next weekend, me and the missus are at the JLR dealer in Basingstoke and it couldn't be more different! It was reasonably busy, they actually seemed to have more than one person working there! Not only did he honour the price quoted by CarWow, he actually slightly improved the offer by rounding it up. The icing on the cake for me is that he offered some good advice on cashing out of the M4 now, due to the extended lead times on the F-Pace (which is fine as I do very low miles, work from home and have access to another car if needed). I've now sold the M4, through the car selling service of CarWow, got a price that I'm happy with and am sitting on the equity. Needless to say I placed a deposit for an order (only £500, versus the £1000) the next day.

The only challenge now is that I still waiting for an actual build/estimated delivery date, so I'm in for a long wait it seems! Oh and if you're wondering what spec I went for its F-Pace D300 R-Dynamic HSE in Portofino Blue with Mars Red interior (with Performance seats), fixed Pano roof, remote rear seat release handled and electric recline rear seat. I didn't go for the 'Black Pack' as I think the car actually looks 'classier'/better with the brightwork (not 100% sure if its polished aluminium or chrome, looks like a slightly satin finish to me). There were a couple of options I would have liked, but was shown a list that confirmed they are simply not available due to shortages, but ultimately I'm happy with the equipment on offer.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Update, contacted JLR Privilege directly and they confirmed Scheme is up and running and dealer is talking nonsense. Now do I go for new F Pace, Audi Q5, or Lexus???
if go test drive them all .I only went for the f Pace for the svr I don’t think I’d have gone for it otherwise. They do have little niggling problems .
lexus sound interesting or maybe a BMW X5 solid reliability you be safe with either

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'd already told him I'd had prices through CarWow and when he basically said 'yeah we don't deal with them and we're not going to offer a discount'. It seemed like he expected me to accept that and just hand over a £1000 deposit to place an order
Seem’s difficult at the moment withe the discounts, I picked up my F-Pace from a main dealer in Guildford last month after getting 12% off when I ordered it in June. Seems the market has moved on significantly since then with discounts like that almost non existant.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Seem’s difficult at the moment withe the discounts, I picked up my F-Pace from a main dealer in Guildford last month after getting 12% off when I ordered it in June. Seems the market has moved on significantly since then with discounts like that almost non existant.
Yep it was the main dealer in Guildford (on the Ladymeade junction) that refused to offer any discount, the main dealer in Basingstoke however was the one that made the offer via CarWow and then bettered it when I went down for a chat. Didn’t get 12%, it was about 6 or 7% but still better than nothing!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update.
This week, wanting to shop local, I gave my nearest dealer, who I bought my XF from, their last chance of a sale. Yet again ,Salesman just asked his manager what my car was worth without looking at it. He then offered a derisory price for my well cared for XF. He then could not answer what happens to new cars if build date goes from MY22 to MY23, but expected me to accept an even lower offer on my part ex when the new car I specked was eventually built.
After more time waiting for him to talk to his manager, (the usual drawn out ruse Salesmen persist in using) he returned. He retorted they were not accepting JLR Privilege Scheme vouchers ,so once again they lost a sale. Hatfield's Hull may well have been commended in recent JLR Manufacturer's awards, but I suspect they would not do so well in Customer award nominations.

Off to Lloyds York JLR Dealership and entirely different attitude. Salesman understood JLR Privilege scheme, accepted my voucher and I ordered a new F Pace HSE with no hassle. All I have to do now is wait 6 months or so to complete.

·
Registered
743 Posts
My partner just ordered a new Hybrid Yaris and sold her 3 yr old Toyota. The dealer offered £1700 less than WBAC who settled the PCP and gave her £7,000, highly delighted. For that kind of money she can go shopping in the IPace for a few months.

Reactions: Ant-N

·
Registered
149 Posts
Update.
This week, wanting to shop local, I gave my nearest dealer, who I bought my XF from, their last chance of a sale. Yet again ,Salesman just asked his manager what my car was worth without looking at it. He then offered a derisory price for my well cared for XF. He then could not answer what happens to new cars if build date goes from MY22 to MY23, but expected me to accept an even lower offer on my part ex when the new car I specked was eventually built.
After more time waiting for him to talk to his manager, (the usual drawn out ruse Salesmen persist in using) he returned. He retorted they were not accepting JLR Privilege Scheme vouchers ,so once again they lost a sale. Hatfield's Hull may well have been commended in recent JLR Manufacturer's awards, but I suspect they would not do so well in Customer award nominations.

Off to Lloyds York JLR Dealership and entirely different attitude. Salesman understood JLR Privilege scheme, accepted my voucher and I ordered a new F Pace HSE with no hassle. All I have to do now is wait 6 months or so to complete.
Its odd isn't it Chris, sort of mirrors my experience, my nearest dealer was not very good (including completely false technical info!) and then the next dealer I go to was the complete opposite. Your mention of used values is very relevant too, as it was the dealer I ordered from who advised I could be for a long wait, therefore would be better to offload my car (BMW M4) then rather than wait and lose money on it. I followed his advice and while my project wait time has now reduced, I'm glad I didn't wait (although as I WFH I can afford to be without my car for a while).

On the subject of lead times, this seems to be a real bone of contention on these forums, however there is quite a good thread here that I'm also in and the average wait does seem to be around 6 months (although people who fell foul of model year changes did get put back in the queue it seems). Good luck with your order!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts