Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just wondering whether I should be getting 4g from my in-car SIM... So far, I haven't seen it pop up and am wondering whether it is simply unsupported or may be down to poor network coverage - JLR are very silly if they haven't supported 4g reception on their 'next-gen' car!

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ooooooooh SILLY JAGUAR!!!! I'm still loving my F Pace tho - this is not a naysayers thread! :D

·
Registered
458 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
3G only I am afraid!
...and as far as I am aware it is a hardware limitation so no chance that it will miraculously improve. (Might get worse or drop out altogether but that's a different story!!)
Poor call from Jaguar and makes you wonder who was in the scoping workshops that they had for this!!

·
Registered
688 Posts
yeah crazy decision and embracing when a Vauxhall Corsa can out-do you in terms on connectivity!

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Having said that 3G is perfectly adequate for the type of data we are likely to access. Traffic, weather, news, etc.. I can't imagine anyone wanting to use the browser or stream Youtube ... sure you'd use your own device for that? And I don't get why you'd want to build a wifi hotspot ... most handheld devices have their own SIM and surely that's the most effective way of connecting? The future proof argument I guess I buy however.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I took a trip to Cardiff last weekend with the kids and they were able to stream Youtube on the drive without issue.

Used around a gig of data, so throughput didn't seem to be an issue.

I'm very impressed with the Three network, it shows 3G pretty much everywhere I go.

·
Registered
381 Posts
SonicPace said:
I took a trip to Cardiff last weekend with the kids and they were able to stream Youtube on the drive without issue.

Used around a gig of data, so throughput didn't seem to be an issue.

I'm very impressed with the Three network, it shows 3G pretty much everywhere I go.
Out of interest how long was that journey? I've a 7 hour trip up to Scotland planned in October and wondering about my son streaming Netflix/ YouTube kids to his wifi-only iPAD

·
Registered
539 Posts
Yeah it was a wifi only iPad, so the in car network saved the day!

I'd say the journey was around 1.5 hours. It all depends on what you're streaming I guess, and the quality level it's set to.

Worse case, stock up on another £25 sim card just in case!

·
Registered
458 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
Having said that 3G is perfectly adequate for the type of data we are likely to access. Traffic, weather, news, etc.. I can't imagine anyone wanting to use the browser or stream Youtube ... sure you'd use your own device for that? And I don't get why you'd want to build a wifi hotspot ... most handheld devices have their own SIM and surely that's the most effective way of connecting? The future proof argument I guess I buy however.
I agree that the 3G is fine (for now) particularly for the relatively trivial data that the car needs, but the wifi hotspot is there and should be at least capable of the current standard of performance i.e 4G. The reason that you might prefer to use this rather than the independent device connection is as stated here not all devices have GSM connectivity, but also using the cars aeriel should give better reception particularly when in more remote areas. The future-proofing is another key reason. How long will 3G be available??

https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/news/2015/04/2g_and_3g_to_be_phased_out_by_2020/

edited to addd link

1 - 12 of 12 Posts