Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what is it with Ammonite?

In some pictures it looks completely awesome. In others it's a bit "Mnah...."

I've ordered a 3.0d S in Ammonite, without black pack (I like the silver trim contrast) and 22" black helix.

In the showroom they had an F-type in Ammonite and it looked amazing. They also had an XE that looked fine but not exciting.

Now I am getting cold feet and thinking perhaps I changed to Rhodium. But then I would have to have the black pack .... oh why is this so hard!!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have to say Ammonite leaves me as confused as you. I've only seen Ammonite in pictures which doesn't help. As you say - sometimes it looks stunning, and other times just not very exciting. Need to see one in the flesh/metal to be certain.

The idea of silver with black pack is growing on me. I know it's not a Jag but the Porsche Cayenne Doctors Car at Thruxton yesterday looked stunning in silver with black pack and black wheels and the Jaguar silver looks similar.

G

·
Thing is that I took the second picture and it looked more like this picture than the first one which looks amazing.
My dealer also had XE and XF in Ammonite and I'm not a fan of this color on a Jag.
I would have gone for it for a Discovery Sport (with black roof), a GLC or a Macan but to my mind it doesn't work with the F-Pace.

·
Super Moderator
1,953 Posts
I've test-driven two Ammonites and they were both absolutely gorgeous and completely won me over! It's a personal choice, but it's my favourite colour for the car and the one I'm completely happy to go with.

The Press photo does look stunning, taken with a long telephoto lens to show the car's proportions correctly and the photographer more than likely used a polarising filter to enhance the image. And while I'm very grateful to Mig for showing us his photo of a Portfolio in ammonite, it is after all's said only a quick iPhone snapshot of a fairly dusty car, in harsh reflecting sunlight with the angle of view being not particularly flattering. I haven't seen one that looks as bad as that anywhere else . . no offense intended Mig! ;)

The actual cars I've seen in Ammonite, with my own eyes, look much more like the Press photo example, so have no fears guys!

G

·
No problem :)
Try to see one in the flesh to be sure of your choice.
I test drove a Polaris white XE so I was sure this was ok for my F-Pace and I'm fond of it :)

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I think you are right I need to see one in the metal.

Does anyone know of a dealer in the London area with an Ammonite grey S demonstrator?

·
Registered
381 Posts
A budget buster I know but you may be happier with Storm Grey. It'll be rare and offset the satin chrome elements you like of the S really well.

If you're steering clear of black pack dare I suggest the silver/contrast Helix instead of the black Helix to tie it all in?

I'm pretty certain the configurator does not do Storm Grey (or most other colours) any justice but here it is.....

View attachment 87

Noticed in your intro LED Headlights are not on your spec. Guess you can see the saving on those as a good step towards the premium paint upgrade?!

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
Only my opinion but I'm not a big fan of Ammonite grey, I normally like grey cars but to me it doesn't look that great on the F-Pace I think you hit the nail on the head

'looked fine but not exciting.'

Go for the silver with black pack.

·
Registered
948 Posts
It's amazing how a little bit of Photoshop work can change the look of a photo

This was one minute on a photo I took at Abu Dhabi and given time it too could look amazing. I'm pretty confident that the bottom image of the F-Pace in Ammonite looked good in person despite what the photo said, just like that Lamborghini I took.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well I'm afraid it will be humble camera phone pics, but hopefully I'll be able to post pics tomorrow evening of an ammonite R-Sport with black pack, privacy glass and 20" black venom alloys. From my drive!!! :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
a_kerr said:
Well I'm afraid it will be humble camera phone pics, but hopefully I'll be able to post pics tomorrow evening of an ammonite R-Sport with black pack, privacy glass and 20" black venom alloys. From my drive!!! :)
I look forward to seeing that I'm having a Polaris white R Sport with black pack and 20" black venoms hopefully very soon ... Enjoy

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey a_kerr I would *really* appreciate that thanks very much.

Pacmeoff ....That picture you show is silver without the black pack and I like it. Still some difference between the car and trim colour. Would probably still go for black helix however ...

PaulC .. Sitting in Newark airport seriously considering your suggestion of premium paint. It would give it that exclusive touch. I'm not having the LED lights purely because I live in Central London and most of my driving is here. Put it this way I'd had my Evoque 18 months before I realised it had high beam assist!!

G

·
Shaunyt said:
a_kerr said:
I look forward to seeing that I'm having a Polaris white R Sport with black pack and 20" black venoms hopefully very soon ... Enjoy
There are pictures of my Polaris white in a dedicated post.
I kept the 19" Bionic. I love the Venoms but it was 1815€ for the upgrade in France which is not worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
381 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
PaulC .. Sitting in Newark airport seriously considering your suggestion of premium paint. It would give it that exclusive touch. I'm not having the LED lights purely because I live in Central London and most of my driving is here. Put it this way I'd had my Evoque 18 months before I realised it had high beam assist!!
I like the look of the standard headlights. The LED's arguably look a little 'busy' with the Xenon's looking cleaner and more aggressive.

That didn't stop me spec'ing the LED's though. I was led my resale on such a high value car. 4 years down the line I think/ hope it'll pay off as headlight technology is moving at quite a pace.

Oh, and to be fair the overall package of the LED set-up is pretty good.

here's a point stolen from the US forum worth considering if you are tempted by the LED's..... "If you get the full LED headlamps, then the running light LEDs turn Amber as the signal indicator. If you get the bi-xenon headlamps, the signal indicator is a separate build in the headlamps and NOT LED or part of the running light LEDs. So if you want the LED indicators, make sure you choose the full LED headlamp pack."

·
Super Moderator
1,953 Posts
a_kerr said:
That's great news!

Looking forward to hearing about your collection day experience and seeing some pics. A standback side-view showing the privacy glass against the ammonite bodywork might help me decide my dilemma of whether to go for it or not. Very much looking forward to seeing an R-Sport in ammonite with the black pack too. :p

Hope all goes well.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Looking forward to seeing a car....almost like mine too!!! :D

·
Registered
247 Posts
With regard to the storm grey - are we sure that isn't the colour in the first picture? It would explain why it looks so different!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts