Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
I am thinking of changing to a F Pace 2.0d Auto about 2 years old and want to fit a Towbar.to tow 1700kg, the towbar brand is not a problem or coding but my concern is the Auto Box and cooling issues

BMW, VW ,Merc state that if an aftermarket towbar is fitted extra cooling etc is required
I know of some one with a £4k bill for a new gearbox on a Toureg they have a 3.5 tonne towing capacity if fitted with a factory fitted bar.
With manual cars its not a problem but would appreciate any advice regarding an Auto F Pace
thanks Richard

·
Registered
743 Posts
If it’s a caravan of 1700kg, that’s big, because the car is high geared the issue is going to be the gearbox changing up and down frequently, use the paddle change to hold 7th or even 6th gear then you won’t have a problem. OK you will use more fuel, that’s the price of towing twice the weight of the car plus a whole lot more drag.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it’s a caravan of 1700kg, that’s big, because the car is high geared the issue is going to be the gearbox changing up and down frequently, use the paddle change to hold 7th or even 6th gear then you won’t have a problem. OK you will use more fuel, that’s the price of towing twice the weight of the car plus a whole lot more drag.
Thanks very much for your reply that's the response I need (honest) I may not like it,, yes its a caravan and yes quite heavy, and we tow to Spain with the car full with the rear seats down, a manual may well be be an option but towing limit is 1600kg on manual Jags, Disco Sport is another option but the Oil Dilution is an issue I want to avoid

·
Registered
743 Posts
Towing capacity of a car is rated on the ability of the car to move off on a hill, the 8 speed auto has a low 1st gear, in normal driving it starts in 2nd but you can select 1st with the paddle. A 2.0D will only be adequate to tow that weight, the 3.0V6 is a different animal and will make it easy

The Auto box has a lockup on the torque converter so it does not slip above a certain rpm, this saves a lot of fuel. When the converter slips it generates heat which is why you need to keep revs up, over 2000 should be fine. The ZF 8 speed is pretty bullet proof, very few if any problems get reported on this forum.

Fuel Dilution occurs when a lot of short journeys do not allow regeneration of the particulate filter all diesels can suffer including the FPace the usual symptom is short service intervals, can be as low as 5k, 10k is typical, check out other threads

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Towing capacity of a car is rated on the ability of the car to move off on a hill, the 8 speed auto has a low 1st gear, in normal driving it starts in 2nd but you can select 1st with the paddle. A 2.0D will only be adequate to tow that weight, the 3.0V6 is a different animal and will make it easy

The Auto box has a lockup on the torque converter so it does not slip above a certain rpm, this saves a lot of fuel. When the converter slips it generates heat which is why you need to keep revs up, over 2000 should be fine. The ZF 8 speed is pretty bullet proof, very few if any problems get reported on this forum.

Fuel Dilution occurs when a lot of short journeys do not allow regeneration of the particulate filter all diesels can suffer including the FPace the usual symptom is short service intervals, can be as low as 5k, 10k is typical, check out other threads
Thanks, aware of the oil dilution Disco Sport`s are more of a problem I think due to the location of the DPF to far away from the engine F Pace are closer but still can happen on regular short journeys as I understand but I am not an expert.
I may have to go for a manual in 180ps there are a few about,
I tow with a manual Freelander 148ps stays in 6th nearly all of the time.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Aren't these gearboxes factory fitted with transmission oil coolers ??
Yes, but the extra weight and drag on a long uphill incline is going to create a lot of heat, not all cooling systems are able to cope In extreme conditions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts