Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after a week in, which included a trip back from Bristol to the outskirts of Plymouth, a short break to St Ives with the family and back home, all of which equates to 401 miles (on a tank full of diesel) and an average of 35.6 mpg (according to the cars trip), I thought I'd post a quick review and share my first impressions.

My fairly modest looking F-pace certainly causes people to look and presumably admire the sleek design. It's a pretty car, functional and comfortable, however, it does lack refinement.

The gearbox seems to search through its gears and never seems happy in any low gear, which reminds me of an old 2.2d XF that I once had.

For a Jaguar the road noise is particularly harsh - I only have 20" wheels so I'd be keen to hear other people's thoughts on this.

When braking it feels as if the car dramatically nose dives - not sure if this is a characteristic of an SUV, but a little disconcerting. This caught my other half out on her first drive of the F-pace!

Fit and finish is generally good, although I am missing a finishing trim on the left hand side door handle, which I presume went missing post delivery to the dealership but prior to my collection.

I had Meridian sound in the last XF (I think the 380w system). Certainly the standard system of the F-pace, which I have, has not disappointed me so far. I did see a comment from another member that they had specified an 825w system and felt underwhelmed by its output. I had the 825w system in my black edition 2.2d XF and felt the same (compared to an Audi's B&O system in an A4 estate that we once had).

I'm still warming to the jet and red interior theme - I feel like I should be sitting in SpearmintRhino, or some other establishment of that ilk, less the ladies of course!

Whilst in Cornwall we wanted to head to the beach and thought we'd try out the activity key. I might be doing something wrong, but I don't think mine works, or is not programmed to the car - any ideas/other feedback on this point would be welcomed.

The dealer back up is terrible. Ok, they were good enough to let me have their showroom car, but the lack of return calls and emails regarding snags and other points does hack me off. I wouldn't recommend Guy Salmon Jaguar Bristol at this stage.

Overall, my expectations had been higher than perhaps what the car is delivering at this moment in time. Perhaps it's an adjustment from XF life (9 XF's)?

After a week, 7.5 / 10... But hoping this will improve once the dealer sorts missing trim and so on!

Hope people find this review useful.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think you pretty much summed up my experience of being somewhat underwhelmed.

I too had an XF and absolutely loved it.

I think it is just a totally different type of car when compared to a premium saloon. Many of the buyers of an F Pace come from other SUV like RRE, RRS etc and are used to that type of car so love it. Others like me were not used to this type of car and didn't take to it.

I still believe it is a great car for the right people and will no doubt be a watcher from afar and wish it well!

·
Registered
28 Posts
HI 82TLT,
Just quick comment on the activity key, I have used mine several times, a bit wary the first time I must admit but all well so far. I do a lot of windsurfing / sailing so have used it a good few times now and all have worked fine. Its worth persevering with. I have used it leaving the keys in the car and with them removed and it has worked in all cases.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
White13 said:
HI 82TLT,
Just quick comment on the activity key, I have used mine several times, a bit wary the first time I must admit but all well so far. I do a lot of windsurfing / sailing so have used it a good few times now and all have worked fine. Its worth persevering with. I have used it leaving the keys in the car and with them removed and it has worked in all cases.
Is there a way of using it/doing it?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just followed the manual, and have found it's worked every time. You do only get 30 seconds so do have to move quickly. When unlocking I was initially expecting the tailgate to open as soon as I but the key against the "J". However it does not, it just seems to unlock the car then I release the tailgate from the dash or from the key once retrieved from inside.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi jefFPace,
That was certainly what I was expecting but it does not on my FE. I need to open the driver's door first, then the tail gate button will work Not sure it its anything to do with having double locking activated or a slight fault. I will try it with double locking off next time and see it that makes it work more intuitively. Still even as it is its very useful for my activities.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Switching from a saloon to an SUV has quite a dramatic driving difference, the sheer fact you are sitting at least 80mm higher gives you the feeling you are moving about much more than you actually are.

·
Registered
154 Posts
82TLT - Out of interest is your F-Pace on standard springs? I have adaptive on mine and suffer no nose dive at all.

Really starting to enjoy my F-Pace now, went on a cross country A road journey the other day it was brilliant the handling was exceptional after owning 2 previous XF (3.0D) I must save the F-Pace handles as well if not better than either of my XF's and light years better than the last gen RRS.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I drive a VW Transporter T5 LWB on a daily basis so the driving position was not a problem. In fact the T5 is weirdly my favourite drive! Just can't fit the wife and kids in!

I found it to be a little bumpy at times and very very noisy on the 22" wheels on any kind of concrete roads. It may have been unfortunate resonance but i have never heard anything like it and even her indoors commented on it and she drives a Fiat 500!

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
luminated said:
Switching from a saloon to an SUV has quite a dramatic driving difference, the sheer fact you are sitting at least 80mm higher gives you the feeling you are moving about much more than you actually are.
I remember that feeling vividly coming out of an XKR and into an RRS and thinking "oh no what have I done"

It soon passes though and you quickly realise how much better it is to have a high driving position

·
Registered
13 Posts
Got to say Guy Salmon at bristol are useless when it come to customer service and call backs. They used to be Hartwell, where I originally placed my FP order. Along with a fraudulent pcp on my previous xf (done by Harwell), I cancelled my order that had been in for some months and went to Taunton Jaguar for a much better deal, and staff I can trust and return calls.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I love the higher driving position having had Freelanders, Disco 4's and currently an Evoque. Test drove the FPace and don't know what you lot are moaning at??? It's a bloody SUV!!! I question how so called intelligent people manage to acquire the funds to buy these cars??

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well... Besides a mix of XF's we have also owned a number of RR Evoques (2) and Disco Sport.
I'm not complaining about the SUV driving position - I quite like the elevated position. However, it's the 'tap the breaks' and nose dive feeling that I don't like. We don't get this in our Disco Sport, and that is much heavier I believe! I'm fairly used to driving a mix of vehicles - in fact, I was quite fond of opting to use a Merc Vito dualiner (when we had one).
I believe the springs to be standard - R sport spec, 20" Venoms with dynamic drive.
Interesting comments about Guy Salmon Jaguar Bristol from another member - remember, I only bought from them as they were able to release a car to me.
I know the chap who is sales manager at Taunton Jaguar - he used to work at Bristol Audi and is a sound guy with an eye for detail.

·
Registered
453 Posts
CarlFRZ434 said:
I love the higher driving position having had Freelanders, Disco 4's and currently an Evoque. Test drove the FPace and don't know what you lot are moaning at??? It's a bloody SUV!!! I question how so called intelligent people manage to acquire the funds to buy these cars??
Totally agree itsa SUV, and a bloody good one at that, ive had Discos and my last car was a Freelander, i doubt the F Pace could match the of road prowess of the Freelander but it corners like the cat it is and ive left a few quicker hot hatches behind on the bends no problem.

I think people coming out of premium saloons in to the F Pace who have never had SUVs will feel very different till they get used to it, i have to say it feels more like a saloon to and SUV to me than my previous vehicles.

As for the comment of the Nose dive under breaking id say a too heavy foot or brakes are brand new any may have initial grab which will ease .

The brakes are exceptionally good.

·
Registered
948 Posts
The Disco Sport is an exceedingly good SUV but compared to the FP it's not quite to that standard... something the UK press has expressed. Never drove a stock sprung FP 2.0d to know if it dives under braking or not so can't comment on this but it's not something that the press have highlighted as a problem (as far as I'm aware) so maybe your car has an issue or as someone else said the brakes a bit grippy.

G

·
Have you checked the pressure in your tires?

On mine it was really too high and the car was really not enjoyable to drive.

Then I put the recommeded pressure and it was much better and less noisy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts