Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Lucy

Please could you advise whether or not the InControl Touch Pro system could or will be upgraded (via a software update) to take advantage of a 4G mobile signal. Currently my Caesium Blue FE is incapable of displaying any browser video content whatsoever via YouTube or similar on line providers (via 3G or WiFi), although I am advised this could be due to other issues connected with the on-board system in my car. Vauxhall have recently been running a TV ad campaign offering 4G mobile connectivity. Clearly the technology is out there and available, so why don't we already have it in our new cars?

Many thanks, Ashley

·
Registered
688 Posts
My gut feeling is that this is down to the hardware rather than software.. but hope to be proven wrong.

if the cellular modem was 4G capable, I can't see why it wouldn't have been enabled. 4G also come in multiple bands and frequencies which vary from country to country so there could have been a case of how they would have supported this.. so my gut says this is limited to the hardware installed but I'd love to be told different.

·
Registered
458 Posts
jinjin said:
My gut feeling is that this is down to the hardware rather than software.. but hope to be proven wrong.

if the cellular modem was 4G capable, I can't see why it wouldn't have been enabled. 4G also come in multiple bands and frequencies which vary from country to country so there could have been a case of how they would have supported this.. so my gut says this is limited to the hardware installed but I'd love to be told different.
I'm fairly sure you are correct - but given they can pick and choose which engines to offer for different markets; which interior options; even which side to put the steering wheel (correct side or otherwise!); even the indicators change according to the headlamp selection - I am sure it is not beyond them to select a UK 4G modem for UK builds and an alternative option when building for elsewhere?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Pos.k said:
I'm fairly sure you are correct - but given they can pick and choose which engines to offer for different markets; which interior options; even which side to put the steering wheel (correct side or otherwise!); even the indicators change according to the headlamp selection - I am sure it is not beyond them to select a UK 4G modem for UK builds and an alternative option when building for elsewhere?
its by no means difficult to to do, its just if JLR thought it worth while to do!

·
Registered
458 Posts
jinjin said:
its by no means difficult to to do, its just if JLR thought it worth while to do!
Precisely. On a similar theme, my current car is a 2012 C Class mercedes. It has COMAND which is the integrated sat nav, phone etc. One of its features is MB Online - which is effectively a browser with a few bolt ons. The browser there, aside from the compatability issues, is less than useless. I beleive the problem there - based on info from the MB forum - is that all traffic goes via MB servers - then to the web - then back to MB then back to you. Brilliant, who thought of that?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.