Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with the annoyance of the in-build 3G connection being flakier than a leper in a windtunnel and not being able to stream an entire Spotify track before "no internet" connection appeared I got creative and sourced a Buzzard 2 from EE (called much better things elsewhere and available for all networks!) and popped my SIM card into that from the car ICTP slot, and stuck the Buzzard in the 12v socket in the centre console. Then connected my iPod and iPhone to the Buzzard and got gorgeous 4G speeds (20mb+ downlaods) and super solid connection. Then I connected the ICTP also the the Buzzard so it gets it updates, traffic and no issues with connectivity. Happy days and 4G goodness for up to 10 devices.

Only downside is you need to press the power button on when you get in the car for the Buzzard... and whoever called it that needs a kicking.

This is the O2 version : https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/mobile-broadband/huawei/4g-in-car-wifi/?cm_mmc=googleuk-_-PPC_MBB_PLA-_-Huawei4GIn-Carwifi-_-Huawei4GIn-Carwifi%20Huawei4GIn-Carwifi%20Exact&gclid=CO2bgIa-vs8CFUlmGwodSRwMjw&gclsrc=aw.ds#colour=black&contractType=paymonthly&activeTabNum=8&noScroll=yes

And quite a few on eBay and the like...

(And yes I know we shouldn't have to do this but I quite like Spotify and having live traffic and all the things I was told my car would do.... so it seemed a small price to pay to fix it until JLR take their proverbial thumb from their buttocks)

·
Registered
1,378 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
F-Pace S said:
I know this is only 3G, but trying to avoid having the buzzard in the car dash, would this work plugged into the USB socket with the sim in it in the central armrest?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KuWFi-Unlocked-7-2Mbps-Wireless-includinging/dp/B01CQBO5HE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1475494473&sr=8-2&keywords=car+wifi+dongle
Mine is in the centre armrest - fits like a dream and still easy access to all cables ets and USB ports. I'll drop a pic in later when I go to the car. Maybe didn't explain it too well! Once plugged in its pretty flush to the socket. But that device would work as well.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Been super solid so far - no dropouts at all and here is a pic of what it looks like in the centre cubby... (plus it gives you another USB output!)

Light Gadget Audio equipment Electronic instrument Multimedia

Attachments

·
Registered
458 Posts
With this setup can you connect to the car remotely? Given that you have relocated the sim from the car to the gadget.. Presumably the power socket is only live when the ignition is on.
I tried using a mobile 4g gadget plugged into the armrest but because it has a battery it didn't like being in charge all the time and killed the battery. This is probably an OK fix but imagine you still need the in car sim.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pos.k said:
With this setup can you connect to the car remotely? Given that you have relocated the sim from the car to the gadget.. Presumably the power socket is only live when the ignition is on.
I tried using a mobile 4g gadget plugged into the armrest but because it has a battery it didn't like being in charge all the time and killed the battery. This is probably an OK fix but imagine you still need the in car sim.
What are you defining as the in-car SIM could be the factory fitted non-removable one Jaguar pop in for remote services. Or the one that goes in the ICTP or ICT device that you buy / pay for separately (and is totally optional).

Don't need the in-car SIM as the remote system for climate and so on is done via an in-built Jaguar pre-paid SIM, you only need a data SIM in the car for live traffic and messaging and so on, but if you connect the car to this device by the wifi connctivity you don't need the in-car SIM, and it is powered by the car so no battery to cook....

So basically I have full remote connectivity via the Jaguar in-built (factory delivered - network independant) SIM (which is always on / paid for by Jag for the duration of your In-Control service subscriptions - 3 years from new as standard), I have a 16GB data SIM in the Buzzard so I get super fast 4G, up to 10 devices connected simultaneously and great coverage, and I connected my ICTP to my Buzzad SIM so I get all the live traffic, messaging and so on without the ICTP issues with dropout, weak coverage and 3G speeds.

·
Registered
247 Posts
So Jonty, with this device connected, you are running traffic services etc with the ICTP screen showing a wifi connection rather than a mobile 3G signal shown on the display. Is that correct?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bonkers said:
So Jonty, with this device connected, you are running traffic services etc with the ICTP screen showing a wifi connection rather than a mobile 3G signal shown on the display. Is that correct?
Yup. You connect to the device as you do your home wifi etc when parked up so no need for internal car sim. And as long as you remember to press the power button when you get in for me the 4G has been rock solid and more than enough bandwidth for Spotify, wife on facebook, traffic updates and the live services without flinching.

Like I said - we shouldn't have to do this but with the built in 3G modem being 3G and flaky, for me this works and lets me enjoy streaming goodness. And peace and quiet from the wife.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts