Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what others are seeing with their 3G. In my 3 months the 3G has been woeful. Connects for 5 mins, disconnects and then reconnects after 3 - 4 mins then stays up for a while and repeats. This can happen even when stationary in full signal.

So as part of a test and info gather for jag I bought a new providers Sim to try. Normally at home or nearby I get 3G. Today I got 2G ?
So I drive a bit and 2G turns to E (edge). I've not seen 3G yet but beed to drive to new areas. My phone (on the same O2 provider) had full signal in the 2G area and 2/3 signs in the Edge area.

Maybe O2 is giving me a bit more info and the 3G antenna is pretty poor ?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hi MBadger

I had exactly the same experience with the 3G despite living in the Thames Valley; the most connected mobile area in the country as its home to the HQ's of all the big telcos, I gave up trying to figure whether it was the antenna or SIM so I followed jontys advice and bought a Huawei RoadFi from 3 and just took the old SIM out and popped it in the Roadfi device which sits neatly in the centre arm box as its powered from the 12v cigarette lighter port.

Then I just turned off the mobile data in all settings > connectivity and turned on the wifi connectivity found the Wifi and put in the unique SSID code. Thats it sorted.

Now (as long as I remember to turn it on the system connects to it automatically) and rather than get the 3G symbol I get the wifi symbol but the reality is that is delivering fast 4G fast enough to stream video to the web browser which with the 3G system was impossible.

It cost £79 including another 12G 12 month SIM which I will keep until this first SIM runs out. Also cos its 3 its works in Europe same as UK at no additional cost.

Overall well chuffed. Yes some will rightly say should we have this working and I agree with them but to me its £80 to improve on what Jag provide and when people are debating over whether the LED to Xenon £1100 price difference is worth it. This is a no brainer if car connectivity / live sat nav / music streaming / web browsing etc are important to you.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes so with my THREE SIM I get two results,.
3G displayed or not connected - even stationary.

This O2 SIM I'm seeing 2G and Edge ? Have others seen this on their providers or everyone using THREE like I started with ?

I'll keep the hotspot 4G in mind but want them to try to sort this or offer something up as it should work to a better degree than it does.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Since 2.5 mine has been much much better. I have a 3 sim and it gets 3G. Can take 20+ seconds to connect but now stays up

3.0V6 S. Storm Grey. 14 way seats. 22 Double Helix black wheels. 360 PDC. Advanced Parking Pack. Adaptive Cruise Control. Adaptive LED headlights. ASR. Black Pack. Blind Spot monitoring. Mood lighting. Electric Towbar. Gesture Tailgate. HUD. Heated wheel. ICTP. Meridian. Lane keeping. Panoramic roof. Twin cup. 5 yr service and 3 year secure. Black mirrors ++

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Mbadger77 said:

This O2 SIM I'm seeing 2G and Edge ? Have others seen this on their providers or everyone using THREE like I started with ?

I'll keep the hotspot 4G in mind but want them to try to sort this or offer something up as it should work to a better degree than it does.
Yes exactly the same. Outside my house. Stationary. Full 4G connection on my phone. 3G connection on the car comes and goes. Can repeat at will. In various locations. Sent numerous videos to the dealer on this point and they said there is no fix for this at present.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JLRnumber5 said:
Mbadger77 said:

Yes exactly the same. Outside my house. Stationary. Full 4G connection on my phone. 3G connection on the car comes and goes. Can repeat at will. In various locations. Sent numerous videos to the dealer on this point and they said there is no fix for this at present.
Yes the new thing I've noticed though was the 2G and E popping up as never ever seen anything but 3G on the screen
Of course got back in to test and it showed 3G rather than edge when I Parked !
Not dropped off yet but need a longer test and let you know

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So all confirmed. The issue now I can see 2G and edge is I think it's a poor reception issue to start with. On top of this even when it does get 3G it still drops even when stationary in strong area.
Tried now with different providers

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
There has to be a hardware issue going on here too...

Started with 2.5 so have nothing to compare with, but once I worked out how to activate it all, it has shown 3G seamlessly... Didn't drop once today over 250 miles & 2 countries.. It even held signal in 'Le Shuttle' a few minutes after phone dropped out & I know it was actually connected as I was using the browser...

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
corriescar66 said:
There has to be a hardware issue going on here too...

Started with 2.5 so have nothing to compare with, but once I worked out how to activate it all, it has shown 3G seamlessly... Didn't drop once today over 250 miles & 2 countries.. It even held signal in 'Le Shuttle' a few minutes after phone dropped out & I know it was actually connected as I was using the browser...
Ok great to know - I'm thinking design or hardware but if yours holds on the move it's not design.
Could be different vendors for their hardware. I had a chat with somebody who said how they did unfortunately just buy the cheapest chips and hardware based off spec. Meridian don't even do the speakers they just put their name to the setup and probably software - the speakers are much cheaper brands

Mine was bad pre 2.5 and no better now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts