Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just spoken to my dealers parts dept re some top up oil for my 3.0Sc when it arrives. They insisted that it would need the 0w-30 Castrol oil. In the digital handbook it says to use 0w-20 with STJLR.51.5122 spec. Can anyone please confirm that this is correct?
If it is is correct I have found a supplier that will deliver 1L bottles in bulk.
Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Unless the ICTPro is capable of telling me that it needs it I'm not lifting the bonnet to find out, no excuses for oil burning (other than the diesel) with today's emissions conscious engines! And if it loses out the bottom then it lives at the dealer until they stop it.

·
Registered
458 Posts
RaVolVoR said:
then it lives at the dealer until they stop it.
Mine thinks the dealers is like being at its grandparents house...likes to visit regularly, gets loads of attention and a wash and Hoover on the way out.

I swear, I've had the car nearly 3 months and never needed to wash it!!!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
So far mine has had one return visit, but I'm compiling a list of issues that need fixing (a top up if you like to the one 2-day visit)... if oil starts sprouting out of the engine that would be the last straw before I blow a fuse.

On a side note, not to side track this thread, I really hate oily engines, a phobia if you like from years of driving cars that were almost dead. I think my first 12 cars averaged out at £600 each so you get the idea of how much crappy oil I had to deal with (inc a Granada that did 10 miles to pint of oil... new engine after 2 weeks of ownership)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Our F-Type 3.0 doesn't have a dipstick - not for the oil anyway - they specifically don't want people topping up the oil - if the light comes on or warning on dash take it to Jag, or else call assistance.
Not sure about the diesel - must lift bonnet and check

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Pos.k said:
Our F-Type 3.0 doesn't have a dipstick - not for the oil anyway - they specifically don't want people topping up the oil - if the light comes on or warning on dash take it to Jag, or else call assistance.
The F-Type has an electronic dipstick no?? There must be a mechanism for the owner to know how much oil they are adding.

·
Registered
458 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
Pos.k said:
The F-Type has an electronic dipstick no?? There must be a mechanism for the owner to know how much oil they are adding.
No, they don't want you adding oil IIRC - I'm sure thats the case - got me wondering now -will go and check them both

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Pos.k said:
No, no dip stick on either.
The FP Diesel has a small tube that looks like it could be a dip stick tube at the front right of the engine, but it just has a plastic twist off cap on it.
The FP definitely has an electronic dispstick .. at least mine does!

So I would have thought the F-Type did too.

·
Registered
887 Posts
My XF doesn't have a dip stick. To check oil level the engine has to be cold or left for at least 10 mins after running switched off. On switch on but not with foot on the brake so engine doesn't start it is then possible to select (in the info panel) the oil level, if any is needed it actually tells you how much to add.

As my XF is 5 years old (hopefully I will say a tearful goodbye tomorrow if the garage have managed to sort out the front camera on my FP that was found dead during the PDI) I would expect newer vehicles would be similar?

Jim

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Jim said:
My XF doesn't have a dip stick. To check oil level the engine has to be cold or left for at least 10 mins after running switched off. On switch on but not with foot on the brake so engine doesn't start it is then possible to select (in the info panel) the oil level, if any is needed it actually tells you how much to add.

As my XF is 5 years old (hopefully I will say a tearful goodbye tomorrow if the garage have managed to sort out the front camera on my FP that was found dead during the PDI) I would expect newer vehicles would be similar?

Jim
Indeed same on my old XF but I live on a hill so this never worked as it is too steep! I'm sure my 2.0 F-Pace has a dipstick (yes I mean in the engine bay) not looking over the steering wheel, but only because of this :-

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
0w-20 according to my oil filler cap but no dipstick

Attachments

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Think you have to go with what's on the cap itself and the manual to be honest.
0 / 20
Wouldn't be buying bulk orders :) a litre or two probably plenty and see how you go. I don't expect to put any oil in until it's serviced and they can be doing it.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Basil Fawlty: Are you listening to me? Hello, can... Hello, can anybody hear me? Have I ceased to exist? Have I suddenly become invisible? Sybil, Sybil, Sybil, can you see me?
Sybil Fawlty: No.
Basil Fawlty: Oh, good. Well, I'll go and lie down then. No, I won't; I'll go and hit some guests.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts