Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I decide to take the plunge with the F-Pace, it'll be a toss up between the 3.0d and the 3.0 supercharged.

A couple of questions... does the F-Pace petrol ACTUALLY sound like this when you give it some lyrics?
or is this a non-standard active exhaust set up?

What sort of real world MPG do you get from the petrol? There's plenty of chat about the diesel on here, but do you ever get near a combined 32mpg touted in the brochures?

Has anyone spent a decent amount of time in both 3.0 cars? Does the petrol feel significantly faster or more responsive under the throttle? I note the diesel has an exceptionally high peak torque.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Yes it absolutely sounds like that though I don't tend to get it popping too much unless you have the room and place to get it hitting the rev limiter. It's not as loud as that with windows closed of course as I think they are using microphone out the back.

The petrol with that sound and the electric urging from the mere touch of the throttle do give more of a sense of excitement and engagement. The diesel is a great engine and has bags of torque and gets you pretty much as fast but without the drama. Mileage is much better probably 5-10 a gallon.
It's a small tank so you do feel your filling up a lot in the petrol - I'm getting 230 -280 per tank generally but plenty of town driving and short journeys so that can be less in extreme circumstances

If I bought the diesel I'd certainly have an exhaust change and remap to give it a bit more bite and responsiveness
The diesel isn't slow though at all and gives better MPG.
The petrol has a few more grins along the way

·
Registered
2,073 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
There is little to choose between the two, i guess it really comes down to a few things,

Want a meaty sound exhaust get Petrol.
If you want a stealth sound with plenty of grunt get a Diesel.
If you want loads of Torque get a Diesel.
If you want more miles per gallon get a Diesel.
If you want a little more shove off from start get a Petrol.

There really is not a massive amount of difference and for every gain there is a loss to both.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mbadger77 said:
Yes it absolutely sounds like that though I don't tend to get it popping too much unless you have the room and place to get it hitting the rev limiter. It's not as loud as that with windows closed of course as I think they are using microphone out the back.

The petrol with that sound and the electric urging from the mere touch of the throttle do give more of a sense of excitement and engagement. The diesel is a great engine and has bags of torque and gets you pretty much as fast but without the drama. Mileage is much better probably 5-10 a gallon.
It's a small tank so you do feel your filling up a lot in the petrol - I'm getting 230 -280 per tank generally but plenty of town driving and short journeys so that can be less in extreme circumstances

If I bought the diesel I'd certainly have an exhaust change and remap to give it a bit more bite and responsiveness
The diesel isn't slow though at all and gives better MPG.
The petrol has a few more grins along the way
Thank you very much for your response here. It's a 16 gallon / 60L tank, right? Which suggests at most you are getting 18mpg. That seems very low - even against the 23mpg stated as the urban rate.

Do you know what sort of mpg you get on a motorway?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jagfpacejk said:
There is little to choose between the two, i guess it really comes down to a few things,

There really is not a massive amount of difference and for every gain there is a loss to both.
I realise these are the factors that move in either direction, I guess my question is whether there is a big difference between the cars in these areas. It sounds like you're saying there isn't, generally. That would win it for the Petrol, for me.

But if the real world mpg on the petrol is less than half that on the diesel, it needs rethinking.

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
RobPorscheJag said:
Jagfpacejk said:

I realise these are the factors that move in either direction, I guess my question is whether there is a big difference between the cars in these areas. It sounds like you're saying there isn't, generally. That would win it for the Petrol, for me.

But if the real world mpg on the petrol is less than half that on the diesel, it needs rethinking.
It's hard to say on the fuel side as everyone drives differently but i would not be surprised to hear 25% or more better MPG with the Diesel.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I reckon from all the threads Ive read the average mpg seems to be 30-35mpg for the diesel and 20-25mpg for the petrol. Yes driving style and journey type makes a difference but if you drive like most people bit of commuting / some longer journeys and a regular blast on A/B roads you will end up at / around these levels.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
RobPorscheJag said:
Jagfpacejk said:

It's not half and I think 23-26 is about what you will normally get maybe 28 on a run of less than 75mph. At higher speeds the MPG drops to low 20s or les depending how quick,your going, diesels will drop as well.
Over in France my previous. 3.0S dieses dropped down to 25 at higher speeds

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
RobPorscheJag said:
23-26 mpg vs 30-35 mpg is a close enough margin for me to go petrol. Especially considering the insurance is cheaper on the petrol than the diesel (does anyone know why this is?!?!)
First year insurance quote was crazy. My XF was about £450 and the F Pace with 100BHP + more was £250 fully comp inc Work travel etc.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Road tax is cheaper too... The first signs of diesels being banned in some of the world's major cities is happening now... it won't be long until punitive measures are introduced here too.. Slowly probably as it wasn't that long since diesels were supposed to save the polar bears...

On a new engine I'm getting a tank average of 26 mpg with 31 being achieved on 'A' road trips twice so I'm quite happy so far as this is similar to my old RRS 3.0 D...

Unlike the 3.0 D I road tested, the petrol doesn't suffer as much from the lag when pulling away & the soundtrack is addictive... :lol:

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Hey Rob. This is my first Diesel and I come from a long line of V8 supercharged JLR cars.

I went for the diesel after two long test drives (I mentioned Harwoods earlier they will give you a car for 24 hours) and I could not get over how much I love torque!

The SC and the D are completely different engines and driving experiences so I understand your dilemma and you really need to have a good think about what your driving consists of. Mine is either lots of urban south London pootling about or 4-10 hour jaunts either to Devon, Bordeaux or Zurich. Not much in between. For me the diesel wins hands down.

Don't get me wrong the SC is awesome and it's all about the drama. However unless you are wringing it's neck it doesn't feel that fast. It's lack of low down torque makes it feel quite tame at lower speed or in urban areas. The diesel is completely the opposite. It's low down shove is collosal. But it's breathless above 4000rpm but that's fine cos the ZF box knows this and gives you the next cog. I think the auto pairing with the V6 D is perfect. With the SC you'll be using the paddles more to keep you in the power band. That's great if you like to be really driving all the time.

Guess I've got to a point where I like to make rapid progress without all the drama.

Anyway they are both excellent and the only way to find out is try them both.

Interesting EVO rated the D before the SC.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi,

Apart from the discussion of fuel consumption the 3.0d is the good old grandpa with a lot of torque in the lower rpm range. I had the 2.0d, the 3.0d and the SC for a 24h test drive each and in my opinion the 3.0d is a car for someone who have a high mileage per year and don't need or due to country specific limitations is not able to go with a higher speed but want have enough power in stock without the diesel typical tractor sound.
In contrast to the 2.0d with the nailing and rustling noise (in my opinion to much). In the lower rpm ranges this motor is almost a little bit too aggressive. You have to be very careful with the throttle in the city.
But all three are showing one's true colours on the motorway. 2.0d: until 160km/h everything is fine but above it is very hard to get to the specified end speed. The same with the 3.0d and above 200km/h.
But the SC is pure fun. If you put the hammer down at 200km/h it brings a smile on your face without fail. There is really a "WOW-Effect". Though I am not a diesel fan and the 3.0d nearly convinced me, the SC is a blast and I would definably go for this engine. But you or better your wife :D has to live with more noise in the cabin from the engine.

Kind regard from Germany

Michael

·
Registered
612 Posts
You don't get to get above 200km/h much these days on public roads, and its more about that 30-50mph or 50-90mph for overtaking, then both the 3L's are fine - just drive different (turbo vs super). The 2L is fine for 90% of drivers out there.

·
Registered
138 Posts
And you need to remember also that there will be simple remap options for the f pace which will make the 3lt diesel even more impressive.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
That made me laugh. I don't think I have been beyond 160kmh in years and years. I consider myself a brisk driver after years of high performance cars but even with regular trips to south France and Switzerland there's almost no opportunity to exceed 130kmh.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
That made me laugh. I don't think I have been beyond 160kmh in years and years. I consider myself a brisk driver after years of high performance cars but even with regular trips to south France and Switzerland there's almost no opportunity to exceed 130kmh.
Oh I dont know a lot of france you can cruise at 90 most the way. I was doing about 120 for a while on the route back on a deserted 3 lane motorway.
I've not had the SC at 200KM/h - not quite

On another note remember the SC has a fair bit of torque as well its not gutless. Around town driving I actually find really good as you can just gently press the pedal, it responds immediately even at slow speeds and can pull very nicely. The mid range torque wont be as great but thats where it drops down a gear and gives a roar of approval.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Three months and 3900 miles covered in my 3L petrol, average consumption overall 29mpg across all types of roads and journeys.
Around town ~25mpg and steady motorway trips ~34mpg.
Obviously less than the 3D but if you can live with the difference, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sorry to be off point but I drive at least twice a year on long road trips through Europe.

If you ever fancy driving predictably fast in Europe head over towards Nurburg in Germany. As many will know about 15 miles NW of the track is the start of the M1 autobahn. As its the start of the autobahn, traffic is light, its derestricted and you get about 10km before the first junction; the first 2-3km is gently downhill. Holy moly you can get some speeds up there. Always take my cars there at some point to give them a little de-coking.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts