Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
That's a completely personal decision that only you can make. Do you prefer the look of the 22"? Can you afford them? If so then I would say go for them (unless you drive regularly off road or on very bad road surfaces)

They certainly don't upset ride and handling in the same way some 'oversized' wheels do, as they have the same rolling radius as the 20" and quite a high sidewall. Put it this way, they ride a darn site better than a BMW 19" runflat!

Ian Callum and Mike Cross set the car up from the beginning (design, chassis, handling) for the 22s and personally I think it's the only wheel that really works with the F Pace design. I think that's a bit of a flaw. I think it would have been better to design the car around 20s. That way the 18/19s wouldn't look undersized and if someone wanted to put silly sized wheels on, so be it. They would be in the minority, and so upsetting the characteristics of the car wouldn't impact the masses.

So there you have it .. my opinion ... I think it only really works with 22s, which is a shame.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Some of us are completely agnostic to wheel size, I just doesn't make any difference to me personally (sorry if that upsets people but I simply just don't care!). If there was a specific need for me to have bigger wheels I would but I like the look of the car regardless and have put my money into options that will I think make the car more suitable for my needs. Its my car, my choice and my preference, go with what you want / like / afford.

From this forum its clear that the chances of any of us parking next to an identical car is slim, almost impossible. In itself that adds to the pleasure knowing that you own something unique!

·
Registered
22 Posts
RaVolVoR said:
Some of us are completely agnostic to wheel size, I just doesn't make any difference to me personally (sorry if that upsets people but I simply just don't care!). If there was a specific need for me to have bigger wheels I would but I like the look of the car regardless and have put my money into options that will I think make the car more suitable for my needs. Its my car, my choice and my preference, go with what you want / like / afford.

From this forum its clear that the chances of any of us parking next to an identical car is slim, almost impossible. In itself that adds to the pleasure knowing that you own something unique!
I agree totally with you I am keeping the standard portfolio 19" wheels the roads around here are awful lots of punctures etc although the car is pretty and sporty looking its still an SUV. I have just put on 4 tyres on my XF before it goes do not want to do that to often.

Back to the 22" wheels there are many reviews out there now with split advice on the 22s most damming was the telegraph review, it is going to depend on your local roads and at my age comfort means a lot.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
SonicPace said:
I have kerbed one of my 22" alloys already, that is less likely to happen on the 20's.

So maybe also consider where you park your car. I scratched mine exiting a multi-story car park.
Agreed although the sidewall height on the 22s is the same as the 20s on my RRE - not really that low profile

·
Registered
688 Posts
I've just bit the bullet and updated my order from 20" blades to 22" helix. Yes its all down to personal opinion and your circumstances.

My personal view is that the 22"s on the F-Pace do not look obscenely big and for me the car will only ever be used on tarmac. A number of user comments on this forum from owners with 22" rims have said the ride quality is not a problem - As alluded to this is likely down to the fact the tyres for the 22" are 255/40 so more akin to an 'SUV' tyre than a low profile hatchback. My current Golf has 18" rims on 225/40 tyres so I am actually getting 12mm more rubber on the tyre walls than I currently have. I have also spec'd the adaptive dynamics pack so would like to think that would also help with the refinement.

I could have lived with the 20" blades but I know the moment another F-Pace with 22"s would have pulled up next to me, it would have really started to grate. :x

·
Registered
85 Posts
22s are on summer only tyres, apparently easily damaged (by kerbs/potholes/rocks etc), more expensive to buy and more expensive to buy replacement tyres for. To some however they look good and that makes up for the downsides.

20s are cheaper to add, cheaper tyres to replace, less likely to get damaged and IMHO look just as good but for a far lower overall price/cost.

This business about the car being designed around 22s and anything else doesn't look right argument is just a ploy; the average observer will not tell the difference.

Having said that jij jin congrats on your upgrade, at least makes mine look a bit more unique :D

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
garyxf said:
I have just put on 4 tyres on my XF before it goes do not want to do that to often.
I was lucky, my XF qualified or a new set of tyres courtesy of Jaguar due to some big issue with economy and complaints (but I never had any economy issues with my XF) in March! :) It was a worry up to then because the old ones wouldn't have lasted to the original date of Sept so it saved me best part of £600.. thank you Jaguar

·
Registered
688 Posts
ASM33 said:
Having said that jij jin congrats on your upgrade, at least makes mine look a bit more unique :D
:) the kerbed scratches will add 'character' to mine :roll:

yes, the cost of tyre replacements is a good call too.. for me driving in and around London so don't expect to be driving in any severe weather conditions.. but it does take a few mm of snow for the transport network to grind to a halt

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I compare the 22" wheels as an accent to the overall car package, as your wives would when they get all dolled up for a night out. We want our cars to look nice,like our wives want themselves to look nice. Black pack = mascara; paint colour = dress colour, other options internally or externally = underwear and jewellery. So the wheels therefore can only be the shoes. Call me old fashioned but if my misses got all dolled up to the nines then slung on a pair of thick rubber soled Nike Airs it would ruin the look :cool: same with the car, so the 22" for the car are like sexy high heels for the misses!! :lol: :D ;)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Do I need 22" wheels? No
Do I want 22" wheels? Yes

Do I need a 300bhp V6 engine? No
Do I want a 300bhp V6 engine? Yes

Can I afford 22" wheels and a 300bhp V6 engine? Yes (just)

Is life too short? Yes ..................(but not that short I could live with the fuel economy of the supercharged V6 petrol) :oops:

(END OF)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
CarlFRZ434 said:
I compare the 22" wheels as an accent to the overall car package, as your wives would when they get all dolled up for a night out. We want our cars to look nice,like our wives want themselves to look nice. Black pack = mascara; paint colour = dress colour, other options internally or externally = underwear and jewellery. So the wheels therefore can only be the shoes. Call me old fashioned but if my misses got all dolled up to the nines then slung on a pair of thick rubber soled Nike Airs it would ruin the look :cool: same with the car, so the 22" for the car are like sexy high heels for the misses!! :lol: :D ;)
I think you have just sold me the 22" :D

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have just switched to 22's after agonising for a while, thanks to Shropshire council not repairing the unclassified single track lanes on the access to my house and a hidden rock in the overgrown verge I had to buy two new alloys and tyres for the wife's disco, that said I have been running on 245 40 18's on my Audi for three years and they have survived (although I did have a rear blow out on the M1 near Sheffield this morning :shock: ). I will just have to be careful where I pull over if I am unlucky enough to meet the very infrequent cars coming in the other direction.

I do think they look better but that is a personal choice... it probably is no definitly is a vanity based choice :D which I can justify to myself using my man maths spreadsheet that always seem to back the choice I wanted to make :lol:

Although I like Carl's wonderfully none PC description..... in that case I choose the Jimmy Choo's :mrgreen:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Storm Grey seems to be popular, I know it's a personal thing but I wanted black but it just didn't look right. call me old-fashioned but the Rhodium Silver looked stunning in real life

·
Registered
473 Posts
JLRnumber5 said:
PaulC said:
Is life too short? Yes ..................(but not that short I could live with the fuel economy of the supercharged V6 petrol) :oops:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Paul you know you want one really... :mrgreen: just think of the exhaust note and the residuals are better... That might offset 3 mpg at least :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 64 Posts