Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I'm mid way through replacing my rear discs on my rwd manual which is going really well, much easier than I expected. Only changing because it's easier than re-surfacing - that seems to be a lost art these days. Rotors are badly corroded because of lack of use during Covid lockdowns.

So the info I need is torque settings for the slider pins and the caliper carrier bolts M12x36mm. Can't find that anywhere online and what I can see looks dubious.

What I did find which may be of use to people is the parking brake maintenance mode .... awesome! You can close the doors and lock the car overnight and it remains in this mode. As a precaution, I did disconnect the handbrake caliper motor cables.

Thanks in advance for the information. As far as I can tell, the carrier bolts can be reused with new thread locking adhesive. If anyone disagrees on this, please let me know.

Also, has anyone noticed that the outer pad wears much much faster than the inner pad??

Thanks!!

·
Registered
Caesium Blue First Edition 3.0d V6 :)
33 Posts
re wear on one side pad, if that is the piston side its normal, unless its significantly more. Sliding calipers do this even though the physics say they should be roughly equal. I put it down to piston retraction in a sliding caliper is half that of an opposed piston caliper, so the sliding side releases, then when brakes are applied, the piston side pushes its pad forward until it contacts the disc, before the pressure pulls the sliding side onto the disc. Thus for the same brake application time the piston side pad relatively is in contact with the disc for a far longer period, both at application & release time.

Please elaborate on the parking brake maintenance mode ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
re wear on one side pad, if that is the piston side its normal, unless its significantly more. Sliding calipers do this even though the physics say they should be roughly equal. I put it down to piston retraction in a sliding caliper is half that of an opposed piston caliper, so the sliding side releases, then when brakes are applied, the piston side pushes its pad forward until it contacts the disc, before the pressure pulls the sliding side onto the disc. Thus for the same brake application time the piston side pad relatively is in contact with the disc for a far longer period, both at application & release time.

Please elaborate on the parking brake maintenance mode ?
Hiya, sorry it's taken time to reply.

The maintenance mode allows you to withdraw the EPB to remove the pads safely. I left it overnight and it was still in maint mode the next day which was reassuring.

The procedure I think was the same as the XE:

Ign on
Release and hold the EFB for 2 secs then keep pressed whilst pressing the Accel pedal quickly once and holding for 2 seconds. Keep button and pedal depressed hen turn off/on the ign start button and it then enters BRAKE MAINT MODE

The procedure is something like this, please check.

I also disconnected the electrical cable to the EFB afterwards to make sure it didn't move.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
Caesium Blue First Edition 3.0d V6 :)
33 Posts
Thanks I'll have a look. I have to say the FP EPB is the quickest one I've come across I generally hate them, but had no option on the FP.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts