Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I would like to know (especially from people who have driven both), if the difference in comfort between 20 and 22 inch wheels is that big, with or without the dynamic suspension.

I'm ordering the 2.0 with 20 inch black venoms, but I know that the 22s will look even more nice. Allthough, roads in Belgium are not that great, I have a baby on the way, ... is it a good idea to go for the 22s then?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Can't help with the difference between 20 and 22. I only tested 19 and 20 inch and the 20 inch were still very good. I went for the 18 inch standard but plan to keep them for winter and buy 20 or 19 aftermarket rims. I would never order the 22's without the adaptive suspension.

But have to admit the 22 inch are looking fabulous.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I tested both and went for the 22. I really couldn't distinguish and significant difference between them and the 20s. Remember the tyres are 265/40 so you have 106mm of side wall.. which is not that small!

·
Registered
688 Posts
I also have adaptive suspension on mine so that probably helps a little.

TBH I can live with a little firmer ride, but what would have really grated me would be been going for the 20s and then seeing FPs with 22s driving around! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Carl will be along in a bit I expect, he will probably tell you he cannot tell the difference, having borrowed a car with 19/20's for a few days and owning 22's...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I tried both 22's and 20's.
I could tell the difference between to two but both felt fine.
In the end I went for the 20's as I wanted a wheel/tyre combination that made it harder to kerb the alloys. It has been a good choice for me as I have clipped the kerbs in two different multi-storey car parks and not damaged the wheels.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Time you went to Specsavers HS60.

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
i have driven both sizes and like others i could not feel a difference in ride quality, think the biggest difference would be if you pushed hard into a corner as a smaller sidewall tyre would feel different to a large side walled car but never had the chance to push it that hard into a corner.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I couldn't really tell the difference between the 20s and 22s - either in handling or comfort. Two main reasons I went for the 20s:
Couldn't justify spending another £1500 (had to draw the line somewhere)
Replacement tyres £160 each for 20s or £265 each for the 22s

Yes the 22s look a bit nicer, but - in my opinion - not that much nicer. In the flesh the 20s still look bloody huge.
As with all the other options it's a personal choice.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
The looks - you don't need us to tell you about that as you can make your own choice.

The ride - I took an R-sport F-Pace out for 75mins on Friday at the Art of Performance Tour here in Scotland. I didn't know what wheel size was mounted until we got back from our trip. The car had adaptive suspension. I thought the ride was decent and, when I got out checked the tyre size. It was 20".

That made sense as it felt more compliant that the various extended test drives with the 22" wheels which are a little firmer and less forgiving over broken or poor tarmac surfaces.

But I have still gone for the 22" wheels. Purely because of appearance in that they set the car off for me. It will demand more vigilance to avoid kerbing them, a higher initial cost and slightly higher replacement tyres (I shop around with the online suppliers to get the bests deals) but our F-Pace is a purchase made from the heart and so we felt the wheels were needed to complete the package.

20" wheels look better in the flesh than in some of the photos though in terms of proportions.

Regards, David

·
Registered
381 Posts
From your previous thread it sounds to me like you've made up your mind on 20's and want us to confirm your decision.

If you're not going for Adaptive Dynamics stick with the 20's, if you're going for black wheels anyhow stick with the 20's.

However, if you we're going for silver wheels against Storm then for me it has to be 22's. Silver/ Grey Turbine's look amazing and are considerably cheaper than Helix's.

You won't regret the 20's (until you see one with 22's :eek: ).

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
F-Pace S said:
Carl will be along in a bit I expect, he will probably tell you he cannot tell the difference, having borrowed a car with 19/20's for a few days and owning 22's...
My work is done! :lol: 13 days in 20" loaner negligible difference in ride until you hit the twistys and thats before we even talk eye stimulation! Also I felt Venims were too glossy. 22" dble helix combined satin Matt & Gloss. Yes satin Matt finish does exist too ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have 5 days left to change my order from 20" black venoms to 22" black helix (+ adaptive suspension?)...

Aaarghh, looks of the 22 are definetely cooler, the firmer drive and kerbing scares me (but maybe it will be just fine!?)

·
Registered
688 Posts
No you won't be fine, you'll have the fear every time you get near a tight spot or multi-storey car park, you'll wake at night with sweats from the nightmare of scratching your beloved wheels, you'll be a nervous wreck!

Then you'll go out to the car and see how damn beautiful it looks on the 22s and have a massive smile on your face!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Blaugrana, If you love the 22" wheels, don't mind paying an extra £1500ish for the them plus whatever the extra cost is for the adaptive suspension and an an extra £400 per set of tyres, then get them. There is no massive difference in comfort / handling between these and the 20s.
For me the extra expense wasn't worth it. I utilised my budget on the engine and the adaptive cruise - and I don't regret it one bit. Just spent 3 days doing 600 miles up to Whitby and back. It was a wonderful driving experience. The adaptive cruise made it so relaxing when I could just have a spell when I wanted to let the car take over for a while - either on a boring motorway stretch or a single lane A road with no over-taking opportunities.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Forgot to also add that even though the car only had the 20" wheels, it still attracted a lot of positive attention.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Blaugrana said:
I have 5 days left to change my order from 20" black venoms to 22" black helix (+ adaptive suspension?)...

Aaarghh, looks of the 22 are definetely cooler, the firmer drive and kerbing scares me (but maybe it will be just fine!?)
I'd have adaptive suspension anyway. There is very little difference between 20s and 22s in terms of comfort. It gives a flatter "deader" feeling over bumps but it's really not much. The handling I definitely noticed even at 20mph

Don't worry about cost of tyres either as another poster says £400 extra per set. If your buying the Pirellis then it's nearly same price. I've seen them under £220 each and last time I bought 20s I spent nearly that.

It's the £1500 difference. You can also take out wheel insurance if worried about kerbing but end of day any wheel you get risks kerbing. kerbs can be a multitude of sizes and no tyre wall will cover them all - always a chance you can kerb or damage anything.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks all! I think as I'm not going for the 3.0l engine, I will give myself the pleasure of changing my order from 20" to 22" black helix with the dynamic adaptive pack and configurable dynamics!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Nice combination. Storm grey with Black pack and black helix 22". Who is your dealer? Mine was Peeters. Enjoying my car from friday and loving it. What car do you have now?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
redonebe said:
Nice combination. Storm grey with Black pack and black helix 22". Who is your dealer? Mine was Peeters. Enjoying my car from friday and loving it. What car do you have now?
Metropool... Your Ultimate Black will be nice too, enjoy it man! I have to wait till January :( :)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts