Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, with my upcoming arrival of my fpace on 22" wheels, the weather we are experiencing isn't the nicest for 22s.

On my current RRS I change my 22" wheels down to 20" running on general grabber all terrains which hadn't seen me stuck over the last few years.

So I'm looking at a set of 20" wheels running winter tyres because if it stays as cold as it has been the past week (below freezing every night) and should any snow fall, I know the 22s aren't going anywhere!

So has anyone went for 20" aftermarket rims or can you fit smaller wheels over the S brakes, because that's as small as I can go with my brembos on my RRS.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I'm not expert ... and I know Snow Socks are not the best option ... but if you are looking for a quick fix in the snow wouldn't these be cheaper?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
undoubtedly cheaper, but as mentioned, I am used to changing from 22s to 20s for the winter months with my current Range Rover Sport, and although its far from arctic blizzard like conditions, the benefits of cold weather tyres are well documented, and given I intend on keeping the F-Pace for a few years, swapping from 22s to 20s doesnt bother me that much!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you mate - thats a handy wee site!

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Probably the easiest way to swap wheels but there are 22 inch winter tyres as well. I was considering those (Pirelli scorpion I think they were).
Guess its easier just to swap wheels each year with the tyres already on so get where your going with this.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There also the dread of kerbing / sliding with 22" rims

Dedicated 20" winters I wouldn't mind just as much!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
It is undoubtably easier to swap wheels but, as I have found on my current car, this means she spends bout five months each year looking distinctly average. While my expensive larger rims sit snug and warm in our rack on the garage wall.

So I have decided that, for our F-Pace, we will just swap the tyres over twice a year in the 22" rims. My dealer have reminded me that "we are not Kwik-Fit so your rims will be perfect when we return the car to you" and that the tyre pressure monitoring valves are robust enough for the repeated swap outs (if you choose a second set of rims you will need to buy a new set of TPMValves otherwise you will get an error on the dash all winter).

Last night we drove back at 11pm from Berwick-upon-Tweed rail station through to the Central Borders and it was -7c as some points. It's good to know you are running proper winter compound tyres when envisaging a bend in such conditions.

Regards, Arianne

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I sometimes wish there was a Facebook style 'like' on this forum.

Very well put Ariadne, and I think I would prefer to keep the f-pace looking unique and not just average.

Which brand did you choose?

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Interested to know Arianne on brand as I was contemplating some new wheels / changes.
Pirelli Scorpion Winter 22s were the ones I found - would last several years I think

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
So the last time I looked, the Pirelli tyres were the only ones on 22" size for winter with the snowflake symbol (you always want the snowflake and mountain symbol as just M&S isn't enough). I am hopeful that other manufacturers will follow in time so we have more choice.

It's worth noting that winter tyres lose their 'snow' magic when the tread is below 4mm. They depend heavily upon sipe technology (the thousands of tiny cross-cuts in the tyre) which allows the tyre to grip snow like a gecko. Each sipe has only a small amount of grip but when hundreds work together they combine to deliver truly amazing traction under acceleration, braking and cornering. They defy the laws of physics as you perceive it having only ever driven on summer tyres.

But, after they drop below 4mm, although they will still be better in cold temperatures they can no longer deliver the goods in snow. The first tell-tale sign is lateral stability with the back end slipping on slow corners. And then straightforward traction starts to decline. So, what I do is run the winters out during the summer once tread depth falls below 4mm - you get up to 8mm to start with.

Some folk think All Seasons are the way to go but the 4mm rule still holds true and they are a compromise anyway.

Tyre technology sounds boring to most people but, you can have all the electronic gizmos you want on a car, but it is still the four patches of rubber that connect you with planet earth. A good tyre is probably the biggest factor on grip in adverse conditions so don't ever skimp. I would rather have a FWD Vauxhall Astra on winter tyres in snow and ice than any AWD vehicle on standard summer tyres - 1.8t is a lot to stop once it gets going!

Best wishes,

Arianne

PS. I am currently running on Pirelli Snow & Ice Scorpions. Used them on the XC90 and XC60 over many years. They're fine. I have also used Nokian snow & ice tyres but they don't make then for the 22" rim. They're from Finland and come with extra tread depth - the lad has them in his Audi TT, which will make for quite a sight as it winds its way through snow when others are stuck (providing the depth is not too great otherwise the low ride height means it becomes a snow plough). They perform well and you don't really notice any real difference in handling under normal driving conditions.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
19 Posts
Currently considering the winter options for my 22's although finding someone to change and store seems to be an issue in Surrey (my dealer don't store as they 'don't have the space'). What is interesting is that both those links are for 275 40 22 (where there seems to be a larger choice) whereas I have 265 40 22 on mine. So far only the Pirelli's in that size available.

Have JLR changed the spec at some point?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I specced the 275/40 22 size, as it's what's currently on my RRS and what I've been used to for the last 5 or 6 years!

10mm difference wouldn't even be noticeable on the 22s

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.