Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, very new to this so bear with me!
Have test driven the 2.0d r sport and ordered a couple of weeks ago. Then I started getting cold feet after reading far too much on here! I currently have a 3.0d Vw Touareg which I have had for 10 years hence the new purchase. Starting to think the 2 litre is not going to be pokey enough. I have a few days to cancel and re order so am going for a test drive tomorrow lunch time. To be honest it's stretching the budget to say the least but the r sport was costing 45k and the s is looking at 52.5k. Would like to know any views or opinions???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
Welcome!

Everyone has a different and perfectly valid reason for why they are choosing their engine. You say since reading threads you've got cold feet. You have driven the 2.0 litre - what did you think of it at the time?

£7.5K is a lot of money if it's "stretching the budget to say the least"

To some extent I guess it depends on where you live. If you're urban and the 3.0 litre is stretching the budget, I would stick with the 2.0 litre - only my opinion
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Can't help you on real world experience of driving either - but there are write ups from others who have driven one or both.

From what I've read I think you'll be happy with the F-Pace whatever the engine. But if you're used to a 3.0d then I'm sure you'll miss the poke if you opt for the 2.0d. At the end of the day you know you're financial circumstances best and how comfortable you'll feel stretching the budget now. If you're looking for a keeper like your Tourag then stretching to the S may be better in the long term

But please tell me how you managed to keep an S to £52.5k :lol: Last time I played with the configurator I think it was around £61.5k.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response. I have had 2 test drives in the 2.0 and first time very impressed second time not so much. It's great up to 50mph after that it's a bit whiny and under powered I feel after using the Touareg for 10 years. I am urban and my wife will be driving the car with the kids whilst I'm at work but when I do drive I want it to feel special like the old car did. I guess time will tell tomorrow on the test drive. The lack of delivery date is worrying for the 3.0 though!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Before I put my order in for a 2.0D R-Sport I was able to test drive them both. The 2.0D drove smoothly and at no point did I think that it lacked any power (coming from an Audi A3 2.0 isn't much of a comparison but hey ho). I knew after i'd driven it that i'd be exceedingly happy with my choice.

However, when I got to have a blast in the 3.0D, the feeling that you got just by putting your right foot down felt immense. I was only it for about 20 minutes but the 3.0D is the best car I have ever driven and it left me with a smile on my face for the rest of the day. The salesman accompanying me took me to a quiet road and let me open it up and take a roundabout at speed and just feel how well the car gripped without any lean. I only wished it lasted longer!

I am already over budget having the spec of the R-Sport that I wanted so there was no way that I could afford the 3.0 but if I could, that's the one I would go for in a heartbeat. Everybody is different and a car means something different to everyone.

I'm sure whether you opt for the R-Sport or the S you most certainly won't be disappointed!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After stretching to the s the roof had to go and then the rest was included that I had specified on the r sport. It's very addictive to keep clicking add though!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sted24 said:
Before I put my order in for a 2.0D R-Sport I was able to test drive them both. The 2.0D drove smoothly and at no point did I think that it lacked any power (coming from an Audi A3 2.0 isn't much of a comparison but hey ho). I knew after i'd driven it that i'd be exceedingly happy with my choice.

However, when I got to have a blast in the 3.0D, the feeling that you got just by putting your right foot down felt immense. I was only it for about 20 minutes but the 3.0D is the best car I have ever driven and it left me with a smile on my face for the rest of the day. The salesman accompanying me took me to a quiet road and let me open it up and take a roundabout at speed and just feel how well the car gripped without any lean. I only wished it lasted longer!

I am already over budget having the spec of the R-Sport that I wanted so there was no way that I could afford the 3.0 but if I could, that's the one I would go for in a heartbeat. Everybody is different and a car means something different to everyone.

I'm sure whether you opt for the R-Sport or the S you most certainly won't be disappointed!
I have a feeling that's what's going to happen tomorrow! Once you have the feeling then it's in your mind
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
I already have the intention of when coming to trade my R-Sport in after about 4 years, if funds allow, the S or its replacement will most certainly be on my radar
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sted24 said:
I already have the intention of when coming to trade my R-Sport in after about 4 years, if funds allow, the S or its replacement will most certainly be on my radar
I'm planning to keep mine long term again around 8-10 years so I want to make sure it's the right one without going silly!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
302 Posts
IF you can stretch to it then it has to be the 3.0D all the way (especially if already used to something of this power). As others have written the 2.0 is a great engine, and in R-Sport trim with some extras is a superb looking combination (my original deposit back in September was exactly for this spec).... I convinced myself that I'd be happy, and as you was making a longer-term decision on car, but I started to get that niggle of driving it after say 6-months of owing and thinking 'I wish I had.....'

After my test drive (on both versions) the decision was made - an S it had to be.....But still needed to have some toys so budget was stretched further than originally planned.... Two weeks ago it got very interesting as went to extreme of getting one of the additional FE's

Get back to us AFTER your test drive of the S and convince us that you'd be happy with the 2.0 :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
AndyS said:
IF you can stretch to it then it has to be the 3.0D all the way (especially if already used to something of this power). As others have written the 2.0 is a great engine, and in R-Sport trim with some extras is a superb looking combination (my original deposit back in September was exactly for this spec).... I convinced myself that I'd be happy, and as you was making a longer-term decision on car, but I started to get that niggle of driving it after say 6-months of owing and thinking 'I wish I had.....'

After my test drive (on both versions) the decision was made - an S it had to be.....But still needed to have some toys so budget was stretched further than originally planned.... Two weeks ago it got very interesting as went to extreme of getting one of the additional FE's

Get back to us AFTER your test drive of the S and convince us that you'd be happy with the 2.0 :)
Will do!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
948 Posts
In the defence of the extra price of the 3.0S over the 2.0R you are getting most of the equipment that was optional on the R as standard on the S and we all know what ever you shell out in extras you never get back so there's a great chance more of your hard earned dosh will be present if you opt for a low spec S over a high spec R. And that's without taking into account the performance difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
I pre-ordered a 2.0d R Sport altho had a slight concern that it might be underpowered for my liking but went with it as I couldn't justify the expense of a 3.0d. My spec was around £47k....

I eventually test drove the 2.0d R sport in April and was mightily impressed by the F Pace handling and general driving experience - the 2.0d engine wasn't a bad engine but I just felt the F Pace was born for more power! I then test drove the 3.0d.

For me, the 2.0d couldn't do justice to the engineering put into the handling characteristics of the car so my heart took over and I thought "£47k is a sh!t load of money to spend in the first place so stretching a few £k more to get, what for me, was the best overall package makes much more sense! :lol: ". I then cut back on some of my big-ticket extras (pano roof, adaptive cruise) and went for the 3.0d.

I'm having to wait a couple of months longer but I am so much more excited as a result!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
luminated said:
In the defence of the extra price of the 3.0S over the 2.0R you are getting most of the equipment that was optional on the R as standard on the S and we all know what ever you shell out in extras you never get back so there's a great chance more of your hard earned dosh will be present if you opt for a low spec S over a high spec R. And that's without taking into account the performance difference.
Didn't think of that on the resale, another argument to tell myself to go for it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
MyNameIsMatt said:
I pre-ordered a 2.0d R Sport altho had a slight concern that it might be underpowered for my liking but went with it as I couldn't justify the expense of a 3.0d. My spec was around £47k....

I eventually test drove the 2.0d R sport in April and was mightily impressed by the F Pace handling and general driving experience - the 2.0d engine wasn't a bad engine but I just felt the F Pace was born for more power! I then test drove the 3.0d.

For me, the 2.0d couldn't do justice to the engineering put into the handling characteristics of the car so my heart took over and I thought "£47k is a sh!t load of money to spend in the first place so stretching a few £k more to get, what for me, was the best overall package makes much more sense! :lol: ". I then cut back on some of my big-ticket extras (pano roof, adaptive cruise) and went for the 3.0d.

I'm having to wait a couple of months longer but I am so much more excited as a result!
That's where I am at I think. It's a load of money so best to get it right. Hopefully worth the wait.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
I'm sorry but I think speeding £10 k on an engine and a few upgraded bits s bit excessive ,
I can afford the 3ltr supercharge and extras but my mind goes in to sensible mode and looks at when do I really need that 2-3 extra secs to 60 or from 30 - 50 -70 ... Not that often in fact sat on our m way car parks going to and from work not at all
Yes greet engines , but I've driven both models yes very impressed by 3lts but surprised at how efficient the 1000cc less ingenium engine is , imagine if the ingenium engine was 3lts
Anyway I digress most of us have test driven the 2.0d but on very new low mileage cars ... I've had a sd4 freelander for 4 years and I'd have to say it's performance and fuel economy has gone up and up as the car has got more and more run in now at 70k and I can leave quite a few hot hatches for dust with the 4 wheel drive oh and the err slight re mapping of the ECU
oh by the way there is an ECU remap available for the ingenium engine if you do want a little more poke
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Shaunyt said:
oh by the way there is an ECU remap available for the ingenium engine if you do want a little more poke
Can you elaborate on this slightly please?? :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
sted24 said:
Shaunyt said:
oh by the way there is an ECU remap available for the ingenium engine if you do want a little more poke
Can you elaborate on this slightly please?? :D
There are several companies out there offering ECU re maping for the Ingenium engine in both the RR Evoque and the LR Disco sport, just google ECU re map and ring the various companies up but make sure you go for a company with good feedback
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Shaunyt said:
sted24 said:
Shaunyt said:
oh by the way there is an ECU remap available for the ingenium engine if you do want a little more poke
Can you elaborate on this slightly please?? :D
There are several companies out there offering ECU re maping for the Ingenium engine in both the RR Evoque and the LR Disco sport, just google ECU re map and ring the various companies up but make sure you go for a company with good feedback
I had a little look last night after you mentioned it but my main worry would be about voiding the cars/engine warranty!

I hope you enjoy the S today jasonfpace and are happy with your decision in the end!
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Top