Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
I have ordered my R Sport but am having second thoughts as to whether I should upgrade to the 3.0d S simply for the additional power
JLR will surely bring the new twin turbo 4 cylinder engine into the F Pace soon and as this is a considerable purchase will I be left thinking I should have insulated this doubt by investing in the V6
I know it's expensive but thoughts from 2.0 drivers would be appreciated (and 3.0d drivers too!)
Thanks in anticipation

·
Registered
612 Posts
Look at it this way.

Do you find yourself smashing the peddle a lot? Going from 50-100mph overtaking everyone in seconds on the Motorway? Thinking your last name is Hamilton and racing everyone off the Lights ?

If yes to some or all of the above, get the 3.0L, otherwise the 2.0d will serve you fine.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Maz5197 said:
Hi All
I have ordered my R Sport but am having second thoughts as to whether I should upgrade to the 3.0d S simply for the additional power
JLR will surely bring the new twin turbo 4 cylinder engine into the F Pace soon and as this is a considerable purchase will I be left thinking I should have insulated this doubt by investing in the V6
I know it's expensive but thoughts from 2.0 drivers would be appreciated (and 3.0d drivers too!)
Thanks in anticipation
I'm driving both tomorrow. 2 hours in 3.0d S followed by 30mins - 1 hour in the 2.0d. I'll report back my thinking, but ultimately it comes down to Costs (initial and then depreciation) Vs. Power, Prestige and driving style as to whether or not it actually matters that much difference to you.

I've been toying with same dilemna as you, but am leaning more and more to the 2.0d R-Sport. Also from a review (I will find which one and add later), if you drive around town more often then the 2.0d has more responsive and more than adequate for your needs.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JLRnumber5 said:
(Oh dear ... Steady now YORKIE!)

Hi Maz, and welcome, have you had a read of some of the posts on this subject?
Obviously not which is why I asked the question!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Apollya said:
Maz5197 said:
Hi All
Thanks in anticipation
I'm driving both tomorrow. 2 hours in 3.0d S followed by 30mins - 1 hour in the 2.0d. I'll report back my thinking, but ultimately it comes down to Costs (initial and then depreciation) Vs. Power, Prestige and driving style as to whether or not it actually matters that much difference to you.

I've been toying with same dilemna as you, but am leaning more and more to the 2.0d R-Sport. Also from a review (I will find which one and add later), if you drive around town more often then the 2.0d has more responsive and more than adequate for your needs.
Appollya
Thanks for the helpful response I look forward to your feedback

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Maz5197 said:
JLRnumber5 said:

Suggest sitting down with a nice cup of tea and having a good search then coming back with any other questions.

·
Registered
612 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Maz,
I currently drive a 3.0d XF (not the S version but the 3.0d which has now been removed by Jaguar). This engine was great, powerful and smooth whilst well priced.

I test drove the 2.0d on the FPace and it really made my mind up (after 2 months of battling with the R-Sport 2.0d vs. 3.0d S decision) that i wanted the responsiveness and low end power that the 3 litre brings.

I think you need to test drive both models as then you will see the upsides and downsides of both and you will be able to decide for yourself whether the difference is worth the steep uplift in price.

I finally take delivery of my 3.0d S on Monday and am more excited about delivery of a new car than i have been in a long time.

Either way, i am sure you will enjoy the experience of owning an FPace!

Cheers,
Paul.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My performance suits me fine, really nippy mover. Motorway driving fully loaded I was surprised how well it drove, your not going to get an umph with a kick down thats for sure, come on, its a 2 litre pushing a massive car, what do yo expect? But if you get pace she can really move.

Its not how fast you go, its how you go fast.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've gone from a 3l XF to a 2l F Pace - is the difference in power noticeable? - Yes. Do I regret my decision? - No.

The 2l in the F Pace is well insulated, so in terms of refinement I notice no difference. Torque is good too, so initial get away and low speed acceleration (e.g. 0 - 40) is rapid enough.

The difference is most noticeable accelerating suddenly from above 40. The 2.0 is no slouch in this regard, and has enough grunt to overtake safely at these speeds, but you're not going to feel a punch in your back as you do so.

For motorway cruising, I'm sure that if it were legal, you could waft along at 95 mph without feeling you were pushing the car.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JLRnumber5 said:
Maz5197 said:
JLRnumber5 said:

Suggest sitting down with a nice cup of tea and having a good search then coming back with any other questions.
Suggest either be helpful or not respond, why is there always one??

·
Registered
612 Posts
Maz5197 said:
Suggest either be helpful or not respond, why is there always one??
He did help, he said search for topics relating to your question.

Which took me about 30secs to do this for you and post a link.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Maz5197 said:
Hi All
Thanks in anticipation
What will be your majority of driving, A roads, country roads, lots of opportunities for fun and overtaking or will you be sitting on the motorway with cruise control set at a constant speed?

The vast majority of my driving is sat on motorways, cruise control set, music or radio on so I have the 2.0D. With dynamic mode set and the gearbox set to Sport it is still a fun drive around the back roads of Shropshire and I can only imagine how much more fun the 3.0D would be. I deliberately didn't test drive the 3.0 as I wanted the extra economy the 2.0D gives as that fits with my use of the car and realised I might be tempted to spend more than I wanted otherwise. Now up above 4,000 miles the economy is now starting to improve and on my drives today got better than 45 mpg indicated twice and about 53 mpg indicated on one trip cruising up the M1 through the roadworks and then along the M6.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jim
As I am about to retire and I live in a village I hope to be able to get around the Derbyshire lanes
No town stuff really or trekking up and down a motorway
Holidays in North Yorkshire, Cornwall and visits to my mate in Hampshire
Having test driven the 2.0d I am sure it's completely adequate but the cost difference is a tad under £9k and I might just regret not spending it

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have the 2.0D and driven 9,500 miles over various roads and there has only been two times have I thought I need some extra power, all the rest of the time the 2.0D has been a dream to drive smooth, quiet and economical.

G

·
Hello,

As all have said comes down to your needs. I am another in 2l camp. 250 miles yesterday up and down M6 most of it in eco mode (was trying it out to see economy difference) and I had no issues pulling out and passing.

95% of the time you will never need the extra power of the 3l, and when I think I do need it, I remember the 9k I have in my pocket.

Only thing to remember with 3l, you gain a few bits like adaptive dynamics as standard etc etc. So it maybe that if you were going to specify any of the options which come as standard on the 3l, then the price difference may come down considerably

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Maz5197 said:
Jim
As I am about to retire and I live in a village I hope to be able to get around the Derbyshire lanes
No town stuff really or trekking up and down a motorway
Holidays in North Yorkshire, Cornwall and visits to my mate in Hampshire
Having test driven the 2.0d I am sure it's completely adequate but the cost difference is a tad under £9k and I might just regret not spending it
Maz, this is where I got to....9k difference...and having had many 2d motors, I fancied trying the bigger engine. A word of warning, if you do not want to be tempted, don't try it....it is not just the performance, the flexibility/torque of the bigger engine, and the mpg is late 30's.

The 2d is a great car, and I know the decision is not easy

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just to chip in, it's also not just about the engine power. The 3.0 is a different spec which includes active suspension amongst other things to give a different experience to the 2.0d.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts