Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems to me that 0-60 in < 9 seconds for a family SUV is more than quick enough for most people in real world driving conditions and although the 3.0d can do the same in < 6 seconds, I would like to keep my driving license and I can find something else to spend the extra £10K on.

My F-Type does the same in < 5 seconds and has the fantastic 3.0 petrol engine, but it's all over very quickly and too easily. I really need to take her on a track day to see what she really can do :)

For those that have bought the 2.0d for normal trips to work , the shops or the seaside, is the engine (although slightly gruff) up to the job ?

Thanks !

·
Banned
1,133 Posts
You can't take it with you :shock:
If you got 10k spare go 3litre :eek: :lol: it'll be the best 10 grand you'll ever spend :cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had the 2.0l d for a week and have starting to think I've made the wrong decision. Although it will do 90% of the 3.0l it misses that bit of mid range torque, especially on that over taking manoeuver or relaxed clime up a gradient. As I have put else on here where if driven hard it uses more fuel than expected which I guess more than the 3.0l d in the real world conditions. The 2.0 l is definitely more agile over the front end, I know 20 years ago or even 10 years ago we could not believe a diesel engine could be this good, but as they say in the US of A there is no substitute for cubic capacity.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
It is not even 10k, I specced a 3 litre S and by the time you add the similar S spec to the 2 litre, I was at £53500 against £59800, so £6300

As all the magazines have said, 2 litre is "adequate" and after several great 2 litres, I fancied paying a little extra and getting the creamier engine

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the replies. I'm going to test drive both now and see.

It's strange how you start looking for cars in one price bracket and find yourself in a totally different one :D

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have had the 2.Litre for 9 weeks and its great fast enough for me. 2,100 miles and the engine is getting looser and faster very happy with my car ( Apart for the flaming bonnet alignment mentioned elsewhere)

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
If you would have paid for the standard items on the S as options on the 2.0d then the S is a little over 10% more. I think that's a small amount for an engine that tranforms the car.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the 2.0d however its still remarkable and it doesn't feel underpowered.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Ive had mine 6 weeks now and im more than happy with the power although i am considering getting it re mapped as a company called JE Engineering can squeeze an extra 38-45 BHP out of the engine and improve mpg and performance, they have done this mod on quite a few Ingenium powered Evoques and Disco sports.

Must say tho the car is great and it corners like the Cat it is.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Shaunyt said:
Ive had mine 6 weeks now and im more than happy with the power although i am considering getting it re mapped as a company called JE Engineering can squeeze an extra 38-45 BHP out of the engine and improve mpg and performance, they have done this mod on quite a few Ingenium powered Evoques and Disco sports.

Would this void your warranty

·
Registered
168 Posts
Had mine 6 weeks now and can't complain at all. I had a TT before and a VW sharan and its a good compromise between the two. Plenty of pull/torque especially at motorway speeds when you need to overtake. I can't believe how well it pulls in 6th gear at 70mph plus! Don't find it noisy at all like all the mags say it is! Returning 50 plus MPG with a manual transmission and AWD. Your not going to get that sort of return with a 3.0D!! Even the guy at the dealer said you could see the fuel needle dropping before your eyes when he had one for a week. Test drive them both and make your mind up. One thing I will say is its extremely comfy and you crap yourself when you look down at the speedo not realising what speed your doing ;)

·
Registered
453 Posts
big jon said:
Shaunyt said:

Would this void your warranty
To be honest not completely sure but JE Engineering and Overfinch take brand new cars from the landrover stable and tune them up to boost performance so im guessing that maybe they give you an insurance or warranty against there work that might invalidate the landrover or Jaguar warranty.

Im looking in to it and hopefully can let you know in due course.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Had my 2.0d (automatic) for a few days now. Been driving mainly in eco mode and my best mpg return so far 53.6 on a 40 mile journey down the motorway (light traffic, sticking to 60-70). I use the eco data a lot and its actually quite fun to get your driving style reading up to 100%! The other day I decided to take the eco mode off and the equivalent push of the accelerator pedal makes it absolutely take off! :eek:

I personally think the 2.0 is plenty good enough.

·
Registered
381 Posts
typolee said:
Had mine 6 weeks now and can't complain at all. I had a TT before and a VW sharan and its a good compromise between the two. Plenty of pull/torque especially at motorway speeds when you need to overtake. I can't believe how well it pulls in 6th gear at 70mph plus! Don't find it noisy at all like all the mags say it is! Returning 50 plus MPG with a manual transmission and AWD. Your not going to get that sort of return with a 3.0D!! Even the guy at the dealer said you could see the fuel needle dropping before your eyes when he had one for a week. Test drive them both and make your mind up. One thing I will say is its extremely comfy and you crap yourself when you look down at the speedo not realising what speed your doing ;)
I certainly hope not to "see the fuel needle dropping before my eyes" from a 3.0D!!

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
PaulC said:
I certainly hope not to "see the fuel needle dropping before my eyes" from a 3.0D!!
Me neither ... the last time I was able to do that was in my 2006 RRS 4.2 V8 Supercharged ... I often averaged 12 mpg .. :shock:

It did however have the lovely ability to pull away in 3rd gear (and you could really feel the torque flexing its way through the drive train) all the way to just under 100mph.... basically a single gear car!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The first surprise today was that my car will be ready for the 1st September rather than December. It must be all those cancellations :). The second surprise was that the spec had to be locked down today rather than September as I was told. Apparently Jag are getting a shift on.

Today we had the second test drive. We drove the 2.0d and 3.0d AWD automatics. Both are nice cars and have different appeal. We are replacing the day to day work horse so the 2.0d has enough power (although you are working the engine a little harder).

The 3.0d is a special car for a special price and I can see the appeal, but I don't need a fast SUV as I have a sports car. I need comfort, space and AWD.

So, it's just a case of waiting 6 weeks which will be easy with the summer holidays.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts