Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As my long awaited, built and gathering dust at a Jaguar production facility FP will certainly be delivered by half-term week in October I'm planning a trip up from the Midlands to the beautiful Fort William (Lock Linnhe). That's 380 miles and 7 hours at a steady cruise (pah!). Still, that's too much after a long day at work on a Friday so we're booked into the glamourous Carlisle Premier Inn on the M6 J44 to split the journey in half then will up the scenic (and Daddy's fun-driving) stakes on Saturday morning to Loch Linnhe

My question dear F-Pacers is any advice on a good route and somewhere recommended to stay on the way back?

Wife and 5-year old will not fancy non-stop 7 hours so I'm planning to take another day off, vary the route back and stay somewhere on the Tuesday night. Maybe 2-4 hours away on the return from Fort William either to the left side of the A74 so that could be Dumfries or Lake District or to the right side so North Pennines/ Yorkshire Dales?

All opinions for stop overs, and a nice hotel/ B&B very welcome.

Ecoregion Map World Line Atlas

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,953 Posts
Trip Advisor is your friend ! :p

Anywhere in the Lakes, or the Dales gets my vote . . no shortage of choice, and a very nice way to break a long journey

The Autumn colours will be glorious by then too . . enjoy! :D

(by the way, Paul, I still don't understand what has happened to your delivery if your car has already been built - did I miss you explaining on another thread?)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Glenridding in The Lakes. If you have the money then the Inn on The Lake hotel is the place. If you don't then just go there for lunch and enjoy their lunch menu in their Orangery.

Or Grasmere in The Lakes where you can stay at The Daffodil. And then take your evening meal in the village where there is a Bistro as the food at The Daffodil is faffy and expensive.

Dumfries & Galloway ain't that hot, to be honest. But Moffat is decent and just off the M74. TripAdvisor can tell you about the hotels. Nice little town.

Enjoy, we live near all of this. 2hrs to The Lakes so it's a superb bolt hole and a day trip to Moffat is nice (as are the fabulous back roads in the Borders which are quiet and challenging - perfect for the V6 F-Pace)

Arianne

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
catwoman said:
(by the way, Paul, I still don't understand what has happened to your delivery if your car has already been built - did I miss you explaining on another thread?)
Car was built a week earlier than scheduled on 13th July. Dealer didn't call it down/ take action then Jag went merrily off on their 2-week shutdown a week later from what I can establish (albeit that week would likely not have been long enough to do the testing Jag have to do anyhow?).

Jag are now back and still estimating dealer delivery at 22nd August so waiting until new reg whilst using a dealer salesperson's XC60 in the meantime - I should bloody hope so too!

I'm over it now. Next step, ensuring the dealer follow my exact requirements on registration plate fitment (no bolts, exact character spacing, perfectly straight, and mindful I may reduce the width of the reg in future as it's only 4 characters). Then, it's adhering to the detailer's request for the dealer not to prep the car paintwork (having ceramic coating). Fun this!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi Paul re your visit to Scotland its a pity you could not go a bit further than Fort William and travel on to Lochcarron and sample
the only true Alpine Road in the U.K. (pass of the Cattle) over to Applecross the views on a good day to Skye and the Hebrides
are truly spectacular from the top at over 2500 feet if I remember.Sorry I cannot help with hotels on return journey as it is a long
time since I travelled south . Another place worth visiting from Fort William is Kinlochourne single track road and the nearest to a Norwegian
Fjord you will find in the UK
. When I visit the west coast of Scotland I now only use B and Bs as some hotels now charge almost London prices and lists are available from
the Visit Scotland Site on line. If I can help with locations to visit please let me know happy to help. Have a great trip and hope the weather is kind

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Brilliant. I'm actually manufacturing a "family break" to Wales and snowdonia with the only focus been a long drive to somewhere with decent roads and scenery :)

Of course this all depends on getting the car

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Try the D9 between Mende and Anduze in France....

I'm off for a blast in the XKR shortly, roof down and AC/DC.... France.... loads of fabulous, empty, beautifully maintained D roads.... :D :D

As much as I love Scotland, it's pointless taking a convertible there... Any road into the Highlands north of Loch Lomond is great... Drive down Glencoe just before sunset...

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you are staying in carlisle, the Golden Fleece at rhuleholme is good for food and child friendly. Only 2 or so miles away from hotel.

Glen Coe is one of the best drives if you get the chance too!

·
Registered
67 Posts
How about a picnic after 3.5 hours , far cheaper than a hotel . We did 10 hours to the South of France in one hit taking 2 hour stretches at the wheel reached the end feeling fine as the car is so comfortable to drive.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for all your contributions.

Overnight at Moffat (Annandale Arms or somewhere with a decent car park!) and a stop-off at Ambleside the next day are looking like the way forward.

Plenty to think about when we're there (if I can get my boy out of the pool). Thanks Macview19 and a picnic at the side of a Loch is indeed a must Doppleganger

Might even try the Golden Fleece at Rhuleholme on the way up if there's time.

GLAD I ASKED :cool:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Doppleganger said:
How about a picnic after 3.5 hours , far cheaper than a hotel . We did 10 hours to the South of France in one hit taking 2 hour stretches at the wheel reached the end feeling fine as the car is so comfortable to drive.
That's quite a time... Best I've done is 9 hrs 20 mins Hyeres to Calais... Including 3 hrs in convoy with Audi RS6.... Was worth sitting behind that Cosworth V10... Sounded like a wailing banshee when he put his foot down... Made my Jag V8 sound tame! :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts