R Sport ordered paint protection questions

New to the Jaguar F-Pace Forums? Introduce yourself here
Jordyboy88

R Sport ordered paint protection questions

Post by Jordyboy88 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:09 pm

Hi All.

So have decided to treat ourselves to a brand new car, have had my heart set on an XF for years but when we Decided to finally do it the other half was having none of it saying it was an 'old mans car'.....so I compromised and we've ordered the F pace!

Have ordered the R-sport AWD Automatic in Coris Grey with a few extras.

Ready in 6-8 weeks apparently, was thinking it would be a few months!

The only question I have is about PAINT PROTECTION.

In this day and age I would of thought at the price that the paint would have the protection that they try to sell as an extra.
What I'm trying to figure out is
A) Does it actually work?
B) Is it worth it?
C) Am I better off finding a local detailer to do it or will Jag do a proper job?
And finally
D) If I use my own company does it affect any part of the warranty.

Thanks in advance.

JLRnumber5

Re: R Sport ordered paint protection questions

Post by JLRnumber5 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:26 pm

Hey Jordy.

Welcome. There's been so much discussion on this topic that I think you'd do better to use the search function first and have a good read. Many threads.

Cheers

JLR#5
3.0dS, Glacier, Red/Jet, Black pack, 22" Black helix, Priv glass, Sliding pano, 18 way seats/mem/elec st.column, LED, ICTP+825W Meridian, Gesture tailgate, BSM, AdSR, Rear seat levers, cup holder cover, skinny spare

MyNameIsMatt

Post by MyNameIsMatt » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:38 pm

In a nutshell, the paint doesn't need 'protecting' but a ceramic coat applied properly (ie by a detailer who cares about his work rather than a dealer junior who probably doesn't care as much) will allow you to keep that 'new car showroom look' for a good few years providing you wash it with decent products.

As has been said, the search function will deliver rich pickings.

PS. Welcome to the club!
3.0d glacier white, jet seats & headlining, privacy glass, black pack, 20" black venom, InControl Touch Pro with 380w, oh and the best bit is the remote release levers for the second row!

Jordyboy88

Post by Jordyboy88 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:40 pm

Thanks.
I was to ingrossed in typing away I forgot to use my brain and search first!
Excitement has always made me function at below 100%!

Cheers all.

Mbadger77

Post by Mbadger77 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:05 pm

Yes. There are still plenty of nay Sayers who claim it's all marketing smoke and an utter waste of money and I can understand that point of view BUT....
As a recent convert I can attest to the benefits though of course some will exaggerate or believe miracle armour plating properties.

Firstly I would say yes go to a detailer for 2 reasons. They prepare the car which is the main labour charge but this improves it from the factory delivery. Mine looked great from factory but wasn't perfect. The ceramic coat absolutely gives benefits of a glossy look and a much easier to wash solution. It's deep and reflective and a quick wash can bring it back just like new and you don't have to polish the car again (or not for a number of years anyway).

The flip side to this is that now I have this near perfect car and finish I won't send it to the hand car wash so am stuck washing it myself. I've also bought a water filter to speed up the dry and buff process and so limescale water marks aren't left.

I would say let Jag do only if it is free / super low price and ceramic. Don't go anything else.

It will not affect warranty what so ever.

It does protect the paint but isn't a super armour and won't stop stone chips or scratches.
I'm a new convert and not one who feels he has to be one due to the cost paid a that isn't a factor. If it wasn't worth it I would say so but for me I think absolutely 100% worth doing and I'm amazed at some of the results.
Get the wheels done as well as mine haven't marked or picked up dirt so far and has certainly helped.
I went Gtechniq and like their products.
3L Petrol, 22 black Helix (swapped with FIrst Edition 22 Helix), Ultimate Black, BP, Pano, Brogue, Jet, Priv, 825W, Control Pro, ASR, Climate Front Seats, Practicality Pack, Scuff Plate, Blind Spot

Jordyboy88

Post by Jordyboy88 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:32 am

Mbadger77 wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:05 pm
Yes. There are still plenty of nay Sayers who claim it's all marketing smoke and an utter waste of money and I can understand that point of view BUT....
As a recent convert I can attest to the benefits though of course some will exaggerate or believe miracle armour plating properties.

Firstly I would say yes go to a detailer for 2 reasons. They prepare the car which is the main labour charge but this improves it from the factory delivery. Mine looked great from factory but wasn't perfect. The ceramic coat absolutely gives benefits of a glossy look and a much easier to wash solution. It's deep and reflective and a quick wash can bring it back just like new and you don't have to polish the car again (or not for a number of years anyway).

The flip side to this is that now I have this near perfect car and finish I won't send it to the hand car wash so am stuck washing it myself. I've also bought a water filter to speed up the dry and buff process and so limescale water marks aren't left.

I would say let Jag do only if it is free / super low price and ceramic. Don't go anything else.

It will not affect warranty what so ever.

It does protect the paint but isn't a super armour and won't stop stone chips or scratches.
I'm a new convert and not one who feels he has to be one due to the cost paid a that isn't a factor. If it wasn't worth it I would say so but for me I think absolutely 100% worth doing and I'm amazed at some of the results.
Get the wheels done as well as mine haven't marked or picked up dirt so far and has certainly helped.
I went Gtechniq and like their products.

Thanks for that.
I'm waiting on some prices and info from both dealer and local detailer.

Apparently the auto gylm products offered by dealer come with lifetime warranty so need to find out more before I decide.

JLRnumber5

Post by JLRnumber5 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:43 am

Jordyboy88 wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:32 am

Thanks for that.
I'm waiting on some prices and info from both dealer and local detailer.

Apparently the auto gylm products offered by dealer come with lifetime warranty so need to find out more before I decide.
Hi Jordy

I had a dealer applied finish, but only because it was free. I would not recommend paying for a dealer applied finish. I also wouldn't recommend a dealer applied finish if you have a dark car. Mine's white so it doesn't show up any factor paint swirls which exist on all cars. A dealer won't take these out first he will just apply the finish over them.

So on my first (rejected) car they applied Autoglym Lifeshine. It was fine. I had no complaints but I wasn't really sure if it was doing anything, but then I only had the car 6 months.

On the replacement car they applied Williams Ceramic. So much better. The paint looks really glossy (yes even white) and it's a doddle to clean. Very happy as it was free. If I was paying £500+ I absolutely wouldn't have had the dealer do it.

Hope this helps.
3.0dS, Glacier, Red/Jet, Black pack, 22" Black helix, Priv glass, Sliding pano, 18 way seats/mem/elec st.column, LED, ICTP+825W Meridian, Gesture tailgate, BSM, AdSR, Rear seat levers, cup holder cover, skinny spare

Mbadger77

Post by Mbadger77 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:32 pm

Go for ceramic coating. Dealer for super cheap or detailer at any sort of price. Remember the detailer will correct or improve the whole car and if done properly its 2 -5 day job hence it costs money as labour costs money. The coating they probably do in a few hours or a day at very most even if they do wheels and inside out.

Let us know what you get and costs etc and can happily advise as to how it sounds.
3L Petrol, 22 black Helix (swapped with FIrst Edition 22 Helix), Ultimate Black, BP, Pano, Brogue, Jet, Priv, 825W, Control Pro, ASR, Climate Front Seats, Practicality Pack, Scuff Plate, Blind Spot

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:41 pm

I was a sceptic, until I started to look around the internet at nice shiny examples of how detailing can keep the car looking its best.

I looked around my local area and decided on Autogleam (http://autogleamcarvaleting.co.uk/), who used CQuartz on my car. Looking on Detailing World GTechniq, CQuartz, and a couple of others are pretty much as good as each other. My car was originally booked in for 3 days but actually took 4 (extra drying time) and as others have said what you are paying for is the preparation effort before the coating is applied to ensure the smoothest finish before it is locked under the coating.

The link below is my car at about 7,000 miles and just coming up to 6 months old and having just come back from the detailer after a wash and brush up (he charges about £30 to do the inside and out every 6 - 8 weeks).

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2527&p=34896#p34896

I have snow foamed it myself since then and just pressure hosed off the foam and it looks almost this good with almost no effort (unfortunately the snow foam didn't do the interior anywhere near as well as the exterior ;) :lol: )

My wife bought herself a new car at about the same time as I bought mine and didn't have hers coated. The difference in ease of cleaning is already very noticeable, when I snow foamed mine I also did hers and whereas on mine the grime just washed away using the pressure hose with hers I had to also 'help' the grime away with a clean and well rinsed cloth - and mine still looked shinier.
2.0 D, Portfolio, Auto, AWD, Ultimate Black, Light Oyster seats and head lining, 14-Way Front Seats with Passenger and Drivers memory pack, electrically adjustable steering wheel, 360⁰ parking aid, ICTP 380W, LED headlights, remote rear seat release.

Return to “Introductions”